Home PCGS Set Registry Forum

Is there a "market correction" with the Lincolns?

I just noticed that a number of the Lincoln cent lots in the Bowers and Merena auction did not sell. Is the Lincoln market softening?

Jack

Comments

• RBinTexRBinTex Posts: 4,328
    Yes.
  • STEWARTBLAYNUMISSTEWARTBLAYNUMIS Posts: 2,697 ✭✭✭✭

Absolutely not ! They were not fresh coins

The Ann Kate Lincolns brought stratospheric prices

BECAUSE THEY WERE FRESH !

Stewart
  • SteveSteve Posts: 3,313 ✭✭✭
    Stewart,
    How can a coin minted 70 to 97 years ago be "fresh"?

Steveimage
  • yes, the market is soft right now

But, i am specualting that all lincoln cents will see a noticible jump in value around 2009 when the cent will stop being minted.

• Stewart,

I'd agree. Some of those Ann kate coins hadn't been around for a while, and the prices were strong. However, I think the more "run-of-the-mill" Lincolns are taking a bit of a dip.

Jack

• tradedollarnuttradedollarnut Posts: 20,146 ✭✭✭✭✭
    More 'run of the mill' everything is taking a dip. Great coins still have waiting lists and are snapped up with little price resistance, tho.
  • WaterSportWaterSport Posts: 6,696 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The trend has been softening except in matte proofs and the 1936 proofs. MS 64 RED and higher graded material is still costly, too costly in fact. This should change as the rest start to fall. The memorials should see a big drop soon, (the proofs in PR 69 are skidding down) followed by the 1950’s. Wheat’s earlier than 1930 will vary except again, proofs which are becoming more realistic in price and starting to level off. But all this could change come 2008.

WS
    Proud recipient of the coveted PCGS Forum "You Suck" Award Thursday July 19, 2007 11:33 PM and December 30th, 2011 at 8:50 PM.
  • DMWJRDMWJR Posts: 5,974 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Do we have any aggressive high grade Lincoln set builders right now?

I like the way the Streitch Collection is being built. There are some low pops in it as of late.
    Doug

• Do we have any aggressive high grade Lincoln set builders right now?

Jack

• I've seen some really good interest lately on Ebay with the bidders, at least on the stuff under $150. 6-8 months ago I was buying all the common lincoln MS66RD's I could find and was able to find quite a few in the $7-$11 range, now interest is up and I still find a few, but the competition is better now. I am an absolute lover of Lincoln cents and my desire will be to complete a set, one day. But for now these investments I am making will pay off very well in 2 years when the demand picks up. But mark my word, I will be posting a lot in the future, there is a ton of upside if a few hundred thousand collectors jump on the band wagon when the design changes, out of those collectors, not many are still able to afford the high grade keys. Thus should result in a larger ROI for the commons. For now, anyone want to trade 100 1945 in MS66RD for a 1909-S VDB in 66RD? lol In a few years you may wish you had. Jim
    Life member of the SSDC

DMWJR - ISN'T JACK LEE A HIGH GRADE LINCOLN CENT SET BUILDER ?

Jack - Why don't you ask Andy how the Lincoln cent market is doing ?

Stewart

Crap is definitely softening.Amen

• Jack - Why don't you ask Andy how the Lincoln cent market is doing ?

Andy is definitely a force in the Lincoln cent market, that is undeniable. However, he's just one guy. These boards are great in that you can get a lot of people to offer up opinions.

Anyway, which opinion would carry greater influence, Lord Master Stewart's or Andy's?image

Jack

• orevilleoreville Posts: 11,772 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I made the mistake of putting up a for sale thread in the BST forum on obw wheat rolls without listing any dates or anything and the response was simply overwhelming!! I had to tell everyone to back off while I get my act together.

The amount of potential demand even in the lower cost area of obw wheat cent rolls seems to have increased by a factor of 700% since I was last actively buying them in late 2001 after a period of steadily buying them from 1963 through 2001.

Soft even in the lower cost arena of obw wheat rolls? Absolutely NOT!
    A Collectors Universe poster since 1997!
    Stewart: Jack told me last LB he was just about done.
    Jack Lee obviously has been an aggressive set builder recently. But, with the number of coins he has gone through, does he still have many holes left in that set?

The top five sets are very difficult to upgrade. I hear that there are a few others building sets offline, but not as aggressive as Jack Lee. I've been actively watching the 09-58 sets for the last year, and the Streitch set is the only one currently registered that has the potential to become a top five current set. (I'm not counting Wayne's set because he has had the same holes for years and only by choice).

Where are the other collectors who do not have a complete set and have to have the top coins available?

If there is softness in the Lincoln market right now, I think it is only temporary.
    Doug

• Where are the other collectors who do not have a complete set and have to have the top coins available?

Hmmm, I wouldn't know. image

Jack

I heard a stud with a young attractive wife from New Jersey has a very good Lincoln Cent set.His coins are locked up while he is out to pasture.

Stewart

<< <i>I heard a stud with a young attractive wife from New Jersey has a very good Lincoln Cent set.His coins are locked up while he is out to pasture.

Stewart >>

You and Laura tied the knot?! image
  • orevilleoreville Posts: 11,772 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Laura and Stew?

I wasn't invited? image
    A Collectors Universe poster since 1997!

• I heard a stud with a young attractive wife from New Jersey has a very good Lincoln Cent set.His coins are locked up while he is out to pasture.

Yes, My coins are locked up in Minnesota while I am out here in your neighborhood. However, my wife is 100% NYC Peurto Rican (if there is such a thing). Hottest Pediatrician in Minneapolis image

Jack

• << <i>Jack Lee obviously has been an aggressive set builder recently. But, with the number of coins he has gone through, does he still have many holes left in that set?

The top five sets are very difficult to upgrade. I hear that there are a few others building sets offline, but not as aggressive as Jack Lee. I've been actively watching the 09-58 sets for the last year, and the Streitch set is the only one currently registered that has the potential to become a top five current set. (I'm not counting Wayne's set because he has had the same holes for years and only by choice).

Where are the other collectors who do not have a complete set and have to have the top coins available?

If there is softness in the Lincoln market right now, I think it is only temporary. >>

In the more common dates, including most MM cents from the 30's and 40's and 50's, in MS-66 there has definitely been a softening. But in MS-67 RD, these dates are generally solid. In the better dates such as MM cents from the 20's and teens, there is considerable strength, and HUGE demand for the variety dates needed in the 1909-1958 set w/varieties. That generally applies mostly to MS examples, where even RBs and even BNs will have to do 1936 DD Type 1 and 1917 DDO for example). I have no problem selling what I am fortunate enough to locate for inventory.

Ira
    Dealer/old-time collector
  • edited EXCLUSIVELY for Jacktheknife image
    Toby, I'm sure Jack appreciated your post! image
    Doug
  • seanqseanq Posts: 8,568 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>HUGE demand for the variety dates needed in the 1909-1958 set w/varieties. That generally applies mostly to MS examples, where even RBs and even BNs will have to do 1936 DD Type 1 and 1917 DDO for example). I have no problem selling what I am fortunate enough to locate for inventory. >>

Just wanted to second Ira's observation here, in the last year or so I've sold probably a dozen 1936 Die 1 and 1941 DDOs in PCGS holders in higher circulated grades (30 to 55), and I'm consistently and pleasantly surprised at the money they bring. If you know how to attribute and grade these when they're raw, there are some nice profits to be had.

Sean Reynolds
    Incomplete planchets wanted, especially Lincoln Cents & type coins.

"Keep in mind that most of what passes as numismatic information is no more than tested opinion at best, and marketing blather at worst. However, I try to choose my words carefully, since I know that you guys are always watching." - Joe O'Connor

• sshhh....
  • JTK,

post above has been edited. image

SeanQ,

Next time you have some 41s DDOs or 1936 D1's...please let me know. I don't have tremendously deep pockets...but I would like to pick up both of those coins in the highest grade that I can afford! I have recently moved into lincoln varieties (at least those that are recognized by PCGS) so I am always looking...

Toby