Home Sports Talk

These are officially the 2 worst teams to ever play in the World Series

detroitfan2detroitfan2 Posts: 3,314 ✭✭✭✭

Comments

• Definitely the most shoddy defense I can remember in a long time.
  • grote15grote15 Posts: 29,520 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Looks almost like a spring training game!

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • detroitfan2detroitfan2 Posts: 3,314 ✭✭✭✭
    I guess we should be thankful for the poor defense. Otherwise, it would be 0-0 in the 356th inning of game 1, because the bats sure aren't booming either.
  • ctsoxfanctsoxfan Posts: 6,246 ✭✭
    I'd like to say this was one of the worst World Series I've ever seen, but I barely watched any of it.
  • AxtellAxtell Posts: 10,037 ✭✭
    I have to think the pressure just overwhelmed the young tigers team, especially that pitching. The errors were definitely not a representation of their abilities, but the tremendous pressure of it all just got to them. The Cards team, being more seasoned and more used to this scrutiny, definitely performed better under pressure.

The tigers may have come up short, but their run this year was nothing short of miraculous.
  • detroitfan2detroitfan2 Posts: 3,314 ✭✭✭✭
    While history shows otherwise, it seems to me that a 7 day layoff from live pitching has to have an effect on the hitting timing of a team, and that played out in this series. There's really no excuse for the fielding and baserunning mistakes though.

When you review the mistakes from inning 1 through inning 9, it's amazing the games were even close. I think this says something about the quality of the Tigers' pitching (minus their fielding of course), and it is this pitching and only this pitching that gives me hope for next year.

I'm not a big fan of dogging coaches (if it were up to me, Wayne Fontes would still be the Lions coach), and this will probably sound like sour grapes, but Jim Leyland has to be one of the worst, if not the worst, tactical manager I've ever seen. Certainly he is a classy man. I will give him the benefit of the doubt and label him as a great leader and motivator. More likely, he fell into a situation where Kenny Rogers, Justin Verlander, Joel Zumaya, and Todd Jones were added to a staff that included a more mature Jeremy Bonderman and Nate Robertson, not to mention solid contributions from young pitchers Zach Miner and Wilfredo Ledezma.

The one tangible thing Leyland was able to accomplish was to pacify the big baby Pudge Rodriguez who quit on Trammell last year and took down the clubhouse with him.
  • yawie99yawie99 Posts: 2,575 ✭✭✭
    One of the teams sure sucked.

Wooooooooooooooooooooo!
    imageimageimageimageimageimage
  • fiveninerfiveniner Posts: 4,109 ✭✭✭
    How can anyone call a team that won 95 games during the season and then 7 playoff games one of the worst teams teams ever to play in a World Series? It seems to me that unless the teams are either NY or Chicago teams or West coast southern California Teams plus the Redsox no one else is worthy of being any good.Why were none of the Prima Donna teams in the series this year???
    Tony(AN ANGEL WATCHES OVER ME)
  • GriffinsGriffins Posts: 6,076 ✭✭✭
    Thru 95 regular wins and 7 playoff wins they were a very good team- but they were absolutely horrible in the WS. Just the errors alone would give them that title, but a lot of the hitters might has well gone to the plate without a bat.
    Of course, Chris Duncan in left made Dick Stuart look like a slick fielder. It was often pointed out this was the first time that 2 teams met in the WS that had losing records after the all star break. I don't think either team was playing at their highest level, and the games we saw may have been some of the worst play in World Series history. I didn't think either team was good enough to win it, but the Cardinals just didn't suck as much as the Tigers. Too bad, would've been nice to see Detroit win this one.
    113 days until pitchers and catchers report.

Always looking for Topps Salesman Samples, pre '51 unopened packs, E90-2, E91a, N690 Kalamazoo Bats, and T204 Square Frame Ramly's

• joestalinjoestalin Posts: 12,473 ✭✭
    These were the two best teams....they both beat the Yanks and Mets and it wasn't even close. I always like how great
    pitching is translated into shoddy hitting. When two teams with great pitching come together it often comes down to
    fielding and base running. When its 13 to 12, who cares about a few errors?

This series was refreshing in the era of juiced players.....it shows what baseball is really about. When guys can't cheat it becomes
    a different game!

Congrats to the Cards!

JS
  • I enjoyed the series and Im happy St. Louis won. They have been building a contender now for a number of years and Im sure they were embarassed by their 2004 performance. The Tigers are a good, young, well balanced team that will only get better. Sean Casey really impressed me with his ability to take it to the next level and he really performed under pressure. The kids need more experience and the tigers need one solid veteran bat, a big bat and they can wrap up the central for next season. Without a doubt the class of the American League (even with the Royals!) is the Central Division.
  • IrishMikeIrishMike Posts: 7,738 ✭✭✭
    The tigers proved by losing 7 games in a row near the end of the season that they were capable of going in the tank. The layoff had nothing to do with 8 errors, they choked. For pete's sakes 162 regular season games, playoff games and countless spring training games, enough of this layoff crap. The Cards executed, pitched well, hit when it mattered and the tigers laid an egg. It happens and for one week the cards were the better team. Kudos to them.
  • bishopbishop Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭
    Memo to Tommy Lasorda.....Please go cheer Griffins up. He is our of sorts and putting down the winnerimage
    Topps Baseball-1948, 1951 to 2017
    Bowman Baseball -1948-1955
    Fleer Baseball-1923, 1959-2007

Al
  • Those two clubs were a poor display. Thankfully, nobody watched it. The Tigers are a fastball hitting young club that feasts on mistakes. The Cards staff made some good pitches and proved that the Tigers could be pitched to. Breaking balls mystify those kids. The troubling thing as a manager myself was the lack of adjustments to the way guys were being pitched. The Tigers really showed their age. If I had to look at Palanco (not a 3 hitter, BTW) jam himself one more time I was going to puke. How many times can Granderson lock early on an 0-1 breaking ball? Can Monroe CHASE a rolling slider out of the zone a FEW more times??? Seriously, this was the worst world series I have ever seen in a long line of really bad ones. I actually felt that the playoffs were weak all the way around.
    MLB and it's associates have done a fine job of bringing the world talent to the stage, but they are failing worse than ever at bringing the best BASEBALL players. Players like Mark Lemke, Walt Weiss, and David Eckstien may not be sexy as players, but they CAN play and win.
    I firmly believe that while baseball is far more talented today than 30 years ago, the clubs of yesterday would do quite well against these teams. They just executed better and played better team baseball. They knew no other way.
    Their is a wider gap today between the talented and the intelligent than I can ever remember. I like this group of Tigers and hope that they are able to balance the line-up and add the necessary speed and count management as well as situational contact spots. With the young pitching that seems legitimate, they could be a club at or above .500 for 5-6 years. I love the Inge kid and Rodney's change-up.
    Best player I "discovered" on my TV screen this post-season is the youngest Molina. Wow, would I start a franchise with THAT kid! What a player!

dgf
  • GriffinsGriffins Posts: 6,076 ✭✭✭
    Come on Al, do you really think that was well played baseball?
    I think the big problem is that there are far too many major league teams. Get it down to 24 and you'll see a lot better fundamental baseball. Pure talent is great, but there are a whole lot of players that belong in Triple A, or just out in the real world instead.

Always looking for Topps Salesman Samples, pre '51 unopened packs, E90-2, E91a, N690 Kalamazoo Bats, and T204 Square Frame Ramly's

• ziggy29ziggy29 Posts: 18,668 ✭✭✭
    The Tigers pitchers had no problem finding the strike zone. Too bad for them they couldn't find any other targets they were throwing to.
  • fiveninerfiveniner Posts: 4,109 ✭✭✭
    All I can add to all of this is I can not wait till next year.GO TIGERS!!!!!!I love you guys just the same.Have a great winter and come back fighting next year!!
    Tony(AN ANGEL WATCHES OVER ME)
    All this series proved is that if MLB continues to force the AL east down our throats all year long, we aren't going to care about the world series when neither boston nor the yanks make it there.

MLB is going to have to open its eyes, and get the networks to features ALL of these great teams, and not just their big media market honeys, in order for people to care again about the world series.

The tigers were young, nervous, and it was readily apparent. Solid fundamentals is how they won so many games during the regular season, and the pressure of the world series obviously got to them. The Cards beat the team that was supposed to coast to the world series - uh oh!

Congrats again to the cards, but to say these are the '2 worst teams' to ever play in a series? Wow, that seems a bit of a stretch.
    The tigers were young, nervous, and it was readily apparent. Solid fundamentals is how they won so many games during the regular season, and the pressure of the world series obviously got to them. The Cards beat the team that was supposed to coast to the world series - uh oh!

The same Tigers you decalred would sweep the Series, or win one game at best due to rust??? HAHA, another idiotic statement from the Queen of the Idiots!! image

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.

<< <i>The tigers were young, nervous, and it was readily apparent. Solid fundamentals is how they won so many games during the regular season, and the pressure of the world series obviously got to them. The Cards beat the team that was supposed to coast to the world series - uh oh!

The same Tigers you decalred would sweep the Series, or win one game at best due to rust??? HAHA, another idiotic statement from the Queen of the Idiots!! image >>

'decalred'? And you call me an idiot?

Look, I made a wrong prediction...at least I made one - unlike you over there in the pink 'princess' t shirt who never makes a prediction.

unlike you over there in the pink 'princess' t shirt who never makes a prediction.

Poor volley, there, Axtroll!

• WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    All this series proved is that if MLB continues to force the AL east down our throats all year long, we aren't going to care about the world series when neither boston nor the yanks make it there.

?

Steve
    Good for you.

<< <i>All this series proved is that if MLB continues to force the AL east down our throats all year long, we aren't going to care about the world series when neither boston nor the yanks make it there.

?

Steve >>

I'll say it again for the mentally impaired among us.

MLB and the national networks force sox and yanks games on us all year long...then, when neither the sox nor the yanks make it to the world series, the average baseball fan, having never seen either a tigers or cardinals game, isn't going to care, therefore, the ratings are going to stink.

Got it now?