Home PCGS Set Registry Forum

Barber Half Registry Set Completed in GEM!

Today, I obtained a 1908-D in PCGS MS 66. The coin replaces my MS 64 coin. This represents an important milestone in my registry set as it is the last coin I needed to have all MS 65 or better examples. It has been a long journey full of fun, learning, and expense. The coin is not yet in my possession and I will have to wait until it is in hand to post the coin in my registry set as I don't have the insert number yet.

That means that Dr. and Mrs. Steve Duckor, Dale Friend, and my wife and I all have complete mint state barber halves in full MS 65 gem or better. If you look at the pop reports for PCGS you will find that there is little room for any additional complete sets at this time.

Despite reaching this interim goal, I do not consider my set yet complete. There are still coins that I'd like to improve upon and I don't intend to sell this set in the near future; perhaps I'll sell it in 20-30 years. Coins that are right for my set are becoming much harder to obtain, but I still find myself looking at more coins available than I have funds for.

I'll take this opportunity to thank Harry Laibstain once again for all his help in obtaining very nice coins for my set.

Below is my favorite coin in the set, the 1904-S half from Norweb, previously from Peake.

Dr. Pete

Comments

• tradedollarnuttradedollarnut Posts: 20,146 ✭✭✭✭✭
    A crowning acheivement! image
  • Very cool!!! Double Wow..Thats a tough upgrade to get too..Not much room for improvement.
    Bruce Scher
  • Congratulations! Thats fantastic -

• DrPeteDrPete Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭
    Thanks all.

What to do as an encore?

The quarters?

Type set.

Dr. Pete
  • Well done

I am just started

Maybe in 20 yr + I can buy some

Graham N
  • TahoeDaleTahoeDale Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭
    Peter has been a true consummate collector for many years, and his diligence has paid off. Congratulations.

Some of the dates are marvelous, top pops, original toning, and others blast white. He has looked at probably 15 to 20 coins for every date before he finished the gem set.

But I have no doubt you will continue the adventure-it's in your blood.

I suggest you forget the Barber quarters in Gem only. Sunnywood and I have been working for some time on this series, and I can assure all, it is tougher than the halves. Presently, there is no set in gem or better( PCGS), and only ONE complete PCGS/NGC collection-- a monster group of coins owned by a great collector in the East.

So, keep upgrading the halves. And have a wonderful time doing it. And you still have not finished the New Book on this series.
    TahoeDale
  • STONESTONE Posts: 15,275
    Congrats Pete,

That is one awesome collection. Your coins are marvelous and breath-taking. I wish you the best of luck in continuing to upgrade that set and any other set you decide to tackle.

Personally, I have a Barber Half Set that is 82.67% complete with a GPA of 4.66 and it is still quite difficult to complete even in low grade.
    Barber's are a nice, fun collection to collect and I hope you can get every gem coin you can.
  • roadrunnerroadrunner Posts: 28,303 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That is a great accomplishment. You should be very happy.

I suggest going to the Barber quarters rather than moving into 19th century type. image

roadrunner
    Barbarous Relic No More, LSCC -GoldSeek--shadow stats--SafeHaven--321gold
  • etexmikeetexmike Posts: 6,794 ✭✭✭
    That is one great set and a job well done.

Congratulations to you (and your wife) on the completion.

-------------

etexmike
  • What next?? Do the Quarters and the Dimes too..It would be great fun, take you awhile and what a cool thing to finish.
    Bruce Scher
  • saintgurusaintguru Posts: 7,724 ✭✭✭
    Congrats Peter! A great achievement.

FUN 07 will be the perfect time for you to begin you set of Saints. Let's try to hold the bar at MS65 except for a few exceptions.image

<< <i>Congrats Peter! A great achievement.

FUN 07 will be the perfect time for you to begin you set of Saints. Let's try to hold the bar at MS65 except for a few exceptions.image >>

Too easy .... all it takes is loads and loads of money! image
  • saintgurusaintguru Posts: 7,724 ✭✭✭
    what a load of crap!!image

<< <i>what a load of crap!!image >>

Just funnin' ya, big guy. image
  • ajiaajia Posts: 5,400 ✭✭✭
    Congrats on a great set.

As far as your next set, keep it Barber.
  • CaseyCasey Posts: 1,502 ✭✭
    Congrats Dr. Pete. What a collection it is!
  • WOW!!! Well doneimage
    SaintGuru, don't worry, I don' t even own a $20 Saint right now. Some of the top coins in that series cost the eqivalent of an entire mint state set of MS 64 barber halves. Sorry, I'd rather have a whole set than one coin, but I appreciate the rarity and beauty of such coins.

One thought is to pursue a complete second set in MS 64 which would be somewhat of a challenge, yet not be nearly as costly. Many of the keys are available right now!

Thanks again all!
    Dr. Pete
  • Congratulations Dr. Pete on a great accomplishment. I'll have to take a look at your registry set when I get home tonight.
  • itsnotjustmeitsnotjustme Posts: 8,777 ✭✭✭
    That is an incredible set! Congratulations on this significant accomplishment.
    Give Blood (Red Bags) & Platelets (Yellow Bags)!
  • USCGCraigUSCGCraig Posts: 1,005 ✭✭
    Congrats Dr. Pete. If you want a real challenege, go for XF45. image

Like you, I will be holding on to mine for many years. MS64 would be a neat matched set.
    Coast Guard Craig

Looking for Denmark 1874 20-Kroner. Please offer.
    Thanks again to all you for your kind comments.

Based on my earlier statement, I became curious to see EXACTLY how many simultaneous complete gem sets of barber halves could exist based on the PCGS pop reports. Unlike some series, the pop reports for the top-end barber coins are mostly very accurate, particularly for the low-pop coins.

So, how many complete PCGS graded gem barber half sets can exist at one time?

The answer: Only 5. Three are complete and known and listed on the registry. Limiting coins include very tough issues like the 93-S and 04-S. Many others only have 8-10 coins certified in gem and include issues like the 96-O, 01-O, etc.

I realize other coins exist out there in NGC holders and in raw form.

TahoeDale, I plan to get going on a book on Barber Halves soon, but just found out that QDB is writing a book on Barber dimes, quarters, and halves. I will still continue working on my book, though.
    Dr. Pete
  • DMWJRDMWJR Posts: 5,974 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That is an awesome feat Dr. Pete!!!
    Doug
  • Congratulations DrPete on a wonderful collecting achievement !!! It's pretty amazing to see those three complete gem sets atop the list of Registry sets. Choosing a new set to work on is always a happy privilege ... so many possibilities, so much potential for fun.

As far as the quarters, as TahoeDale mentioned, there are three of us working on sets, in addition to any other stealth players who don't participate in the Registry. One of the three is complete, while the other two of us still need a few dates. I find the set very challenging and very rewarding. One problem though is that certain "crackheads" have really been playing the series lately, doctoring and "making" coins, and some of these do end up in PCGS holders. I think you have to get to know the series and be selective. To do a real gem set of quarters you would have to be very patient though. If you were willing to do MS64 coins, then it would get a little easier, but it's still a challenge.

I have about a dozen duplicates that would be a great starter set for the quarters, but there's only one problem - I like them all so much, I don't think I would be willing to part with any !!! I actually like the MS Barber quarters better than either the dimes or the halves, but I'm probably in the minority on that.

Good luck with whatever you choose to pursue next ... some of my favorite series from the past: proof and MS two cents, proof seated dollars, 1794 cents by Sheldon variety, half cents date set and/or major varieties. There are so many great choices ... let us know what you decide !!!

Best,
    Sunnywood
  • dbldie55dbldie55 Posts: 7,717 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Incredible set. You should have them imaged by PCGS as your next step (then on to quarters and dimes)
    Collector and Researcher of Liberty Head Nickels. ANA LM-6053
  • PonyExpress8PonyExpress8 Posts: 1,670 ✭✭✭
    Dr. Pete,

I know I congratulated a long time ago on your accomplishment but wanted to do it here as well. One of the best things about Dr. Pete and Dale Friend and Dr. Duckor is that they all have made themselves available as resources to those of us newer to Barber Halves.

I for one am feel very priviiged to be a participant in this series with such helpful collectors. Thanks again and congratulations on your achievement.
    The End of the Line in the West.

Website-Americana Rare Coin Inc
  • TACloughTAClough Posts: 1,598
    Dr. Pete,

Congrads on building a wonderfull set. Now to make it even better.......... image PICTURES image
  • calaban7calaban7 Posts: 3,002 ✭✭✭
    Even though I don't collect these, nor have the means, its still great to see the incredible sets that others collect. These are some beautiful coins. Thanks for sharing this set with others.
    " In a time of universal deceit , telling the truth is a revolutionary act " --- George Orwell
  • TomBTomB Posts: 20,697 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It looks as though I am quite late to this party, but I must extend my congratulations to you on a very impressive accomplishment. There is little doubt in my mind that your set will change at a slow rate, but will improve with time.
    Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

• ARCOARCO Posts: 4,305 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Peter - A big congratulations. There are few individuals who will ever put together a Gem 65 Barber half set. I remember David Hall ranking it one of the very hardest sets to accomplish I think he had it at a Nine out of ten on the scale of difficulty.

Your patience and perseverence has paid off.

Tyler
  • BECOKABECOKA Posts: 16,957 ✭✭✭
    Lets continue the congrats trend. I know how it feels to complete a set. Unfortunately when I completed mine I could not afford to keep it. image
    Thanks everyone.

It is interesting to see this thread resurrected. My set is slowly going through some upgrades, but upgrades are getting harder to find (and afford). I enjoy sharing my journey with others and watching newer sets get assembled. Some day we will see Steve Duckor and Dale Friend sell their sets and I hope to be able to pick a few of their choice pieces to improve my set.

Most of my set is imaged already and viewable throught the registry. I do have some upgrades. Superior imaged my coins as one group and my photographic capability is nowhere near theirs,so my newer acquistions are without images. I intend to rectify this at some point, but have other projects of higher priority to me.

I haven't started any other sets, just picking up a coin here or there that I like.
    Dr. Pete
  • coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,721 ✭✭✭✭✭
    congrats... well done.

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• orevilleoreville Posts: 11,772 ✭✭✭✭✭
    DrPete:

I love that 1904-S Norweb !!!!!!!!

Now I understand why it is your favorite. It is AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!

I was very impressed by your private statement to me that you "love to study coins and trace pedigrees" then proceeded to tell me more about my 1910 mint state Barber half than I ever expected anyone to know.

By the way, have you had any fun tracing more of the pedigreed history of your set in the past few years?

A Collectors Universe poster since 1997!