Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

SAE anniversay first strike cut off

This is confusing, From What i gather, the only coin in either the gold or silver anniversary sets still elible for 1st strike is the silver reverse and only in an unopened shipping box. what do the other coins get labled?????
Michael

Comments

• Options
    holeinone1972holeinone1972 Posts: 5,348 ✭✭✭
    No all 3 silver coins are available for 1st strike/ 20th annoversary as long as box is unopened. It also has to have a US mint postmark before 11/11/06

If the sets are opened, only the rev proof can be 1st struck 20th anniversary.

Rob
  • Options
    Correct !
  • Options
    aficionadoaficionado Posts: 2,309 ✭✭✭
    Wrong !!

"Tuesday October 24, 2006 6:17 PM

Hi Ron (nice name, by the way),

As of today, only the Reverse Proof Silver American Eagles in unopened boxes are eligible for the 20th Anniversary Set First Strike designation, and the deadline for those is November 11th. Unopened boxes of ASE sets with postmarks prior to today are still eligible for the First Strike designation. "

A post mark from the Mint PRIOR to 10/24 are First Strike. If you got yours after 10/24, essentially the second shipment, No First Strike For You. (that's the soup nazi if you didn't get it).

• Options
    Don't you guys think this is kind of unfair to the people who ordered the sets on time, but have not recieved them yet? I think it should be a 30-day window after the scheduled shipping date of 12/08.
    To support LordM's European Trip, click here!
  • Options
    Fairness is Overrated----Harry Potter
  • Options

<< <i>Don't you guys think this is kind of unfair to the people who ordered the sets on time, but have not recieved them yet? I think it should be a 30-day window after the scheduled shipping date of 12/08. >>

i agree with you completely. if you didn`t order in the first couple hours your sets arrive too late for first strike. starting sales of these items at 12 noon is kinda stupid. i guess i have to miss a day at work so i can place my orders from now on... makes alot of sense?
    my ebay items BST transactions/swaps/giveaways with: Tiny, raycyca,mrpaseo, Dollar2007,Whatafind, Boom, packers88, DBSTrader2, 19Lyds, Mar327, pontiacinf, ElmerFusterpuck.
  • Options

<< <i>Don't you guys think this is kind of unfair to the people who ordered the sets on time, but have not recieved them yet? I think it should be a 30-day window after the scheduled shipping date of 12/08. >>

First Strike is PCGS's designation. As such, they get to make the rules. Fairness doesn't enter into the equation.
    Luck happens when preparation meets opportunity.
  • Options
    MadMartyMadMarty Posts: 16,697 ✭✭✭
    I ordered mine right along with everyone else (the Silver sets). I just got the E-Mail yesterday that they shipped. Oh well...
    It is not exactly cheating, I prefer to consider it creative problem solving!!!

• Options
    RYKRYK Posts: 35,789 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Wrong !!

"Tuesday October 24, 2006 6:17 PM

Hi Ron (nice name, by the way),

As of today, only the Reverse Proof Silver American Eagles in unopened boxes are eligible for the 20th Anniversary Set First Strike designation, and the deadline for those is November 11th. Unopened boxes of ASE sets with postmarks prior to today are still eligible for the First Strike designation. "

A post mark from the Mint PRIOR to 10/24 are First Strike. If you got yours after 10/24, essentially the second shipment, No First Strike For You. (that's the soup nazi if you didn't get it). >>

Probably wrong. Per CoinKing's guidelines, the sets must be postmarked within 30 days of the release for the coveted (see image below image ) First Strike™ designation. I think Ron was errantly speaking of the AGE sets in his post on the Q&A.
  • Options
    53BKid53BKid Posts: 2,164 ✭✭✭
    This is getting even more confusing. Can someone declaritively set the record strait, please?
    HAPPY COLLECTING!!!
  • Options
    MacCrimmonMacCrimmon Posts: 7,054 ✭✭✭

• Options
    Try calling PCGS , it is abundantly clear !
  • Options
    I have not sent any of my sets in for grading anywhere. Having said that, I do not understand the TPG Companies' positions regarding timing of grading. They are charging an extra $10 per coin to grade coins sealed in the original U.S. Mint package, so what does it matter when they get to them?? A collector should be able to get what he/she pays for. JMO
    Gary
  • Options
    19Lyds19Lyds Posts: 26,475 ✭✭✭✭
    In this thread, Ron states:

<< <i>The two new coins (Reverse Proof and W-Mint Unc) are still eligible for the 20th Anniversary Set - First Strike designation as long as we receive the coins, or if the package is postmarked) before the 30 day period elapses. >>

The 30 day period began withe the first shipment which was 10/12/2006.
    I decided to change calling the bathroom the John and renamed it the Jim. I feel so much better saying I went to the Jim this morning.

The name is LEE!
  • Options
    Soooo..........

SAE 3 Coin Sets postmarked later than 10/24 = TOO LATE for ALL 3 COINS to be designated FS?

SAE 20th Sets received postmarked no later than 11/11 = ONLY RP can be designated FS?

Okay I got it! Or...do I? image

• Options
    RP and W-Mint Uncirc. Quite frankly I do not understand why the entire set cannot be designated as such especially if it is with in the 30 day period of the postmark from the mint

If I recall correctly, the First Strike program was instituted in 2005 by PCGS stating that any coin(s) received from tyhe US Mint within 30 days of the initial release date could qualify for the First Strike Label. This explains the numerous 1991, 1992, 1997 etc. First Strike coins that are out there.

Of course we all know that "First Strike" does not really mean first strike so whats the big deal with the 2006 Proof SAE anyway?
    I decided to change calling the bathroom the John and renamed it the Jim. I feel so much better saying I went to the Jim this morning.

The name is LEE!
  • Options
    aficionadoaficionado Posts: 2,309 ✭✭✭

I think Ron is going by the 10/24 end date because the Unc "W" silver was in the Two coin set which started shipping with the Gold set.

Now I think the Regular Proof is being thown in with the Unc "W", but that's another discussion.

Meanwhile, the Rev. Pr. is still eligible for FS from the date the 3 Piece Silver set started shipping.

This is the way I read and I'm not claiming to know forsure. A call to PCGS may help, but it kind of seems clear.

If all this is true, my question is: Can I send in the Rev. Pr by itself and get a FS? They allowed this with the Gold Rev. Pr. This way I wouldn't have to pay to grade a bunch of coins just to get that one Rev. Pr. 70.

• Options
    Well Duh! Totally passed up the release of the W coin in the two piece set!

I knew there was a reason I wasn't running things image .

The name is LEE!
  • Options

<< <i>SAE 20th Sets received postmarked no later than 11/11 = ONLY RP can be designated FS? >>

Well that would be rather silly. If the RP is still a First Strike 20th anniversary set coin why wouldn't the other two coins THAT ARRIVED IN THE SAME MINT SEALED BOX! no longer be First Strike 20th anniversary coins? Is PCGS affraid that someone might have "Beamed" the other two coins out of the box and beamed in two other coins after the 10/24 postmark date?
  • Options
    Folks this is not that hard.

This is concrete.

If you have a gold set unopened and the date stamp on the box from the fulfillment center reads 10/24/06 or before they are always able for first strike and 20th set. I don't care when you recvd it, or when you ship it to PCGS as long as the date shipped to you is before 10/24/06

The silver set date stamp must read 11/11/06 or before. You can send them in next year, it does not matter as long as the date stamp is correct and as long as the original box has not been opened.

I know it may be confusing, because there are too many people giving their opinions or interpretations of the facts but these are the facts.

Rob
  • Options
    holeinone 1972, I believe your facts are wrong, I hope you are right,

But because the 2 coin set was first released on the 25 sept, that make the cutoff for the MS coin oct. 24th, The PRdcam regukar proof, was relesed in early spring, so that makes cutoff oct. 24th . we have untill the 11 nov. to have 1st strike on the reverse proof enen if box is opened, after 11 nov. box must be sealed and have a post mark prior to 25 oct. sealed boxes post marked from the mint prior to 25oct. can be sent in forever and have all coins first strike anniversary
    Michael
  • Options
    notwilightnotwilight Posts: 12,864 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

First Strike is PCGS's designation. As such, they get to make the rules. Fairness doesn't enter into the equation. >>

Exactly. some of us took vacation that day just so we could get our order in right away. We then had to manage the ordering of gold AND silver sets to get our order in in the minimum number of seconds after the wesite started taking orders. Additionally, if all the AGEs wouldn't fit on one credit card, we needed two computers so the orders could be placed in parallel. It was quite a coreographed production at my house. We recognize the value and desirability of the First Strike Designation and will do anything (legal and ethical) to get it!!!

--Jerry
  • Options

Still confused.

I have ASE sets that came USPS with no postmark, no date on the outside, and a USPS Delivery COnfirmation number that does not and never has worked on the USPS.com website. If I wait to ship these sets after the 30-day window, how would PCGS know they were received by me during the first 30 days?

Or is it correct that the sets must be postmarked outbound from me to PCGS by 11/11 to qualify?
    "Giving away an MS-65 $20 St. Gaudens to everyone logged in when I make my 10,000th post..."
  • Options

<< <i>Still confused.

I have ASE sets that came USPS with no postmark, no date on the outside, and a USPS Delivery COnfirmation number that does not and never has worked on the USPS.com website. If I wait to ship these sets after the 30-day window, how would PCGS know they were received by me during the first 30 days?

Or is it correct that the sets must be postmarked outbound from me to PCGS by 11/11 to qualify? >>

In your case you better make sure they are sent soon.

The postmark means everything.

Rob
  • Options

<< <i>I know it may be confusing, because there are too many people giving their opinions or interpretations of the facts but these are the facts. >>

And one reason it is confusing is because PCGS has given out inconsistant and conflicting information about it in the past.
  • Options
    This might be the answer your looking for Link
    UNITED STATES NAVY VETERAN
    1983 - 2005
    Submarines
    HONOR, COURAGE AND COMMITMENT
  • Options
    TennesseeDaveTennesseeDave Posts: 4,743 ✭✭✭✭✭
    TTT,I was wondering what the cut off date on the S.A.E sets were and finally found this thread.
    Trade $'s
  • Options
    This is an old thread... Dial-up sucks ,don't it? LOL
    Ken

My first post...updated with pics

I collect mostly moderns and I'm currently working on a US type set.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file