Home PSA Set Registry Forum
Options

Vending mark on 1959 Topps card

Thanks to Steve (PurelyPSA) for educating me on this. I recently won this card raw on ebay. It's NMMT all the way but I became dissappointed upon seeing a wierd looking stamped symbol on the reverse. Come to find out this apparently was a vending mark placed on the card by Topps. When a kid got one of these out of a vending machine, he could turn it into the shop owner for an additional prize. It is pretty rare from what I understand, albeit unsightly to some. I am going to send the card to PSA with a note. Hopefully they will not give it an MK qualifier. This phenomenon was discussed here a couple years ago in this thread:
Vending mark thread

Collecting Vintage Baseball.
My ebay listings

Comments

• Options
    FavreFan1971FavreFan1971 Posts: 3,105 ✭✭✭
    Hope they catch it. I would call ahead of time to make sure.
  • Options
    thats some good info to know thanks for sharing
  • Options
    goose3goose3 Posts: 11,471 ✭✭✭
    VERY interesting......

Never seen that before.
  • Options
    alnavmanalnavman Posts: 4,129 ✭✭✭
    What's the MK qualifier??? I've heard of miscut....is that what MK stands for?? IT would be a shame to penalize a card due to something that was from the factory.
  • Options
    qualitycardsqualitycards Posts: 2,811 ✭✭✭
    MC = miscust
    MK = mark
  • Options
    alnavmanalnavman Posts: 4,129 ✭✭✭
    thanks, never got an MK so it was new to me....
  • Options
    The stamp was NOT placed on the back of the cards by Topps but by the person owning/operating the vending machine. It should receive the MK qualifier every time.

Forum AdministratorPSA & PSA/DNA ForumModerator@collectors.com | p 800.325.1121 | PSAcard.com

• Options
    goose3goose3 Posts: 11,471 ✭✭✭
    nonetheless Supreme Party Pooper, it is still a very interesting card.
  • Options
    RipublicaninMassRipublicaninMass Posts: 10,051 ✭✭✭

<< <i>nonetheless Supreme Party Pooper, it is still a very interesting card. >>

• Options
    fiveninerfiveniner Posts: 4,109 ✭✭✭
    Been buying 59s for over 25yrs and never have come across one of those.Intresting indeed.
    Tony(AN ANGEL WATCHES OVER ME)
  • Options
    digicatdigicat Posts: 8,551 ✭✭
    How common was it for folks with the vending machines to do this? I notice some consistancy with the stamp used. Was the physical stamp itself offered by Topps to it's vendors?
    My Giants collection want list

WTB: 2001 Leaf Rookies & Stars Longevity: Ryan Jensen #/25
  • Options
    digicatdigicat Posts: 8,551 ✭✭
    This card has the same sort of stamp mark as the White Sox card at the top of this post. I've seen some others around too...

My Giants collection want list

WTB: 2001 Leaf Rookies & Stars Longevity: Ryan Jensen #/25
  • Options
    estangestang Posts: 1,262 ✭✭✭
    Very interesting. That's a lot of effort to put that mark on by a vendor and not Topps. I wonder how enforced/encouraged that process was by Topps. I don't understand the relevance to the stamp.

Edited to add: Oh, you'd get a prize if you got one. Kind of like getting the indian on the wrapper of a Tootsie Pop --- not that I believe you could actually turn it in for something. Maybe that is my 1st exposure to urban legend.
    Enjoy your collection!
    Erik
  • Options
    cardbendercardbender Posts: 1,831 ✭✭
    Interesting stuff. I've never heard or seen that either.

Kurt,
    Nice White Sox card by the way.

Looks like the Cepeda card posted is your answer.

Regards,
    Rich