Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Pics or Scans?

Just wondering...what is the preferred method folks here use to get these high-resolution images of their collections: is a good digital camera or some sort of scanner device? Thanks for the info.

--Boman.

Comments

• Options
    HyperionHyperion Posts: 7,438 ✭✭✭
    nikkon coolpix, I dont have one, but alot of people use 'em. nice versatile macro camera. I think the scanners are easy to use but easy to leave a coin looking lifeless. (all IMHO)

I battle on a daily basis with my Sony Cybershot.

• Options
    HyperionHyperion Posts: 7,438 ✭✭✭
    mental note, clean the dust OFF THE HOLDER before shooting image
    my apologies
  • Options
    coinpicturescoinpictures Posts: 5,345 ✭✭✭
    Camera all the way. It is virtually impossible to capture accurate lustre or color with a scanner. Also the depth of field of most flatbed scanners is not deep enough to capture many slabs so you get a lot of pics with portions out of focus.
  • Options
    AethelredAethelred Posts: 9,288 ✭✭✭
    Nikon Coolpix here as well:

If you are in the Western North Carolina area, please consider visiting our coin shop:

WNC Coins, LLC
    1987-C Hendersonville Road
    Asheville, NC 28803

wnccoins.com
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,238 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Generally speaking, cameras are better, IF you know how to use them properly. Sadly, all too few people do, at least from what I see on eBay.

Scanners are easier. They tend to wash out luster and might not show certain kinds of toning, but they produce a pretty good result. I still primarily use a scanner for coin pictures because my camera skills aren't topnotch.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    AuldFartteAuldFartte Posts: 4,597 ✭✭✭✭
    image to the Darkside!!!

If you decide to get a camera, make sure it has a good macro feature for shooting closeups, and invest in a tripod or copy stand.

I use a Nikon D-200 now, but they're kinda pricey, as are most digital SLR's.

My OmniCoin Collection
    My BankNoteBank Collection
    Tom, formerly in Albuquerque, NM.
  • Options
    Nikon Colpix 8700, I only scan notes and an occasional other, most are High Res Pictures.....
  • Options
    MesquiteMesquite Posts: 4,075 ✭✭✭
    CB,

I agree that photos are the way to go. I don't think that you can get the resolution or color reproduction with a scanner that you can get with a camera. These were shot with my six year old CoolPix 885, purchased for $65 on ebay last year.

There are two ways to conquer and enslave a nation. One is by the sword. The other is by debt.
    –John Adams, 1826