Relics

Buttons

Coins

1909 US quarter- Another first for my MD type set

1864 US 2 cent bent-n-beat

1808 US 1 cent

1776 Ireland half penny

Tacky jewelry. Rock is as big as a US dime

Pointy rocks- From the same field as the stuff I found last spring.
I did some research on the area and found that my finds are around a half mile from a known paleo site. The shapes and materials are the same.

Short story for this wildcard find.
A friend and I were hunting a field and decided to go to the next field over. We walked along an old railroad bed and hopped across a three foot stream. We hunted for about an hour and found squat, so we decided to go back to the first field. Little did we know, that three foot stream was tidal and was now ten foot across. The only way back was to go back to field number two, cross the field, and walk the road back. About a half mile trek.
I get to the road and see remnants of what looked like a yard sale ahead. As I got closer I noticed a free sign on the table. My friend was still chasing signals in the field, so I stopped to take a look at the table. This thing instantly caught my eye.
So I picked it up and turned it over......
Fate(and a tidal creek) led me to the find of the day and I didn't even have to dig.

I made a special trip to get these pictures. I didn't hunt here on this day, I got skunked on a way nicer site.
Anyway, for those that wanted to see what my sites look like......
Random field-Taken at sunset, so I had to push the picture to get some color.

This is closer to what it actually looked like.

Random woods. If it weren't for bugs and poison plants, I'd spend most of my time hunting these spots. A lot more excersize than just gridding a field.

Someone mentioned they gave up MDing because they were tired of getting skunked, so I thought of a breakdown of what a months worth of MDing involves.
50% total skunk- nuttin but trash
45% site throws a bone- oxen shoe, crusty button, crusty copper, etc.
4.8% keeper
.2% Nice keeper

Comments

• STONESTONE Posts: 15,275
    Nice finds. I love that 1808 Lg Cent, despite all the corrosion.
  • bigtime36bigtime36 Posts: 961 ✭✭✭✭
    Very cool finds.

Collect raw morgans, walkers, mercs, SLQ, barber q. Looking at getting into earlier date coins pre 1900s.

• Great post Tim!

You have entries for just about all categories I see. Excellent!
    I like that cool looking key in the first pic. It looks pretty thin.

Congrats on the Barber!

I see you are still finding flint! That's cool you are near a known site!
    Any clues yet on where the outcropping of flint you are finding is located?

BTW that wildcard find is awesome! How big is it?
    Analog Rules! Knobs and Switches are cool!
    imageimage
  • Hi Tim, what's the Dia. of the Revere bowl?
    "If I had a nickel for every nickel I ever had, I'd have all my nickels back".
  • Nice finds.... My question would be being new in the hobby or let me say just getting back into the hobby; You mentioned you just pick a field. Do you do any research concerning the area (fields) you detect at? Do the fields have some known history to them like where settlers lived, a battle, etc.? I know where I live there's a lot of history including the civil war... I was thinking of doing some serious reserarch concerning the areas where I could detect as far as where old type relics may be found. I know there's many areas I could hunt but can't due to state or federal restrictions, I'm only an hour from Gettysburg but, south of the Mason Dixon Line here in Maryland where I live there were many incampments related to the civil war (pre Gettysburg battle) so, what's your scoop on picking the areas????? Do you ask permission of the land owner or just take a chance not having somone run you off?

Thanks
    r
  • TheGuyTheGuy Posts: 68 ✭✭
    Those are some amazing finds there! image
    "Sometimes we don't know just what to do when adversity takes over." -- Cannonball Adderley
  • phutphut Posts: 1,087
    Thanks for the replies.
    John and Ken, the bowl is 4 1/2 inches.
    Hulk, when you think you've done enough research..........DO more. image. Always ask permission. Some of those farmer types shoot first, then ask what you're doing.
  • wtg!! sweet finds... image
    10,000 light years from knowhere, our planet shot to pieces, people starving, and I'm gonna get us in trouble!!
  • lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,194 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Someone mentioned they gave up MDing because they were tired of getting skunked, so I thought of a breakdown of what a months worth of MDing involves.
    50% total skunk- nuttin but trash
    45% site throws a bone- oxen shoe, crusty button, crusty copper, etc.
    4.8% keeper
    .2% Nice keeper >>

I think my ratio is about the same.

Intriguing finds as usual, Tim, and thanks for the landscape shots, too.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • ZotZot Posts: 825 ✭✭✭
    Great post Phut!! image

It's amazing how you always manage to squeeze in a 1700's coin, and mostly with a date too! image
    I'll be located on the Emerald Isle myself next month, so maybe I'll find one of its sisters...

Those 2 cent pieces seem to be tough to find in nice condition, but I understand they're tough in any condition.
    Congrats on the new addition to your type set as well!

Interesting jewelry! Do you know what the rock is?

Very interesting to also see pictures of your sites. They look very much like the sites I'm hunting.
    The "random woods" shot looks to make for some hardcore detecting, but I totally agree with you - I like to hunt places like that also.

Regarding your stats, I probably do about the same on the good keepers (although my standard for these is probably lower than yours), but find a lot more trash.
    On a typical hunt, I find something like this per hour (assuming I'm not beach or water hunting):

1 coin (I mostly find only 3-4 coins per hunt, but about half I'd categorize as keepers and about 1/15 as nice keepers)
    2-3 random relics (buttons, keys, other...)
    10-15 trash
    Minelab: GPX 5000, Excalibur II, Explorer SE. White's: MXT, PI Pro
  • Dude those are some sweet find'simage

That key in the first pic is quite unusual.

Oh and if anybody hasn't said it yet"You really suck!!image"

HH,Tom