Home Sports Talk
Options

Cowboys to start Romo

10/25/2006 9:56:49 AM

Dallas, TX (Sports Network) - Dallas Cowboys head coach Bill Parcells has reportedly decided to start Tony Romo at quarterback for Sunday's game against Carolina in place of the struggling Drew Bledsoe.

The Fort Worth Star-Telegram cited a source in its Wednesday report as saying Romo will work with the first team in practice before making his first NFL start.

Bledsoe started the first six games of the season for the Cowboys, but was benched for the second half of this past Monday's loss to the New York Giants. Romo took over, but couldn't stop the Cowboys from dropping a 36-22 decision and falling to 3-3 for the year.

The inability of the offensive line to pass protect and Bledsoe's lack of mobility could prove to be a factor in the decision for Parcells, who will likely address the situation later Wednesday.

If the change is made, it will apparently go against the wishes of owner Jerry Jones, who told reporters Tuesday at the owners meetings in New Orleans that he believes Bledsoe gives the team the best chance to win.

Parcells made the change Monday after Bledsoe threw a key interception late in the first half with the Cowboys deep in Giants territory and on the verge of taking the lead.

Bledsoe had completed 7-of-12 passes for 111 yards with the interception and had been sacked four times, once for a safety. He also ran for a touchdown.

Romo, much more mobile than Bledsoe, was still sacked twice and threw three interceptions, one of which was returned 96 yards for a touchdown in the fourth quarter. He completed 14-of-25 passes for 227 yards with two touchdowns.

For the season, Bledsoe has completed 53.3 percent of his passes for 1,164 yards with seven touchdowns and eight interceptions. He has been sacked 16 times and his passer rating of 69.2 is the worst of any NFC quarterback other than injured Tampa Bay signal-caller Chris Simms.

Comments

• Options
    BarndogBarndog Posts: 20,458 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think this is a good choice by Parcells. Romo is young and will be better able to withstand the beating and thrashing that the Dallas QB will be subjected to all game when the Carolina defense easily penetrates the sad excuse of an offensive line that Dallas will field. Parcells is just looking out for Drew's health.
  • Options

<< <i>If the change is made, it will apparently go against the wishes of owner Jerry Jones, who told reporters Tuesday at the owners meetings in New Orleans that he believes Bledsoe gives the team the best chance to win. >>

Jones is right. Not starting Bledsoe kills any small chance they have of making the playoffs.
  • Options
    sixdartsixdart Posts: 821 ✭✭
    Same thing happened in AZ w/ Warner ... turnovers w/ an immobile QB kills a team!
  • Options
    AxtellAxtell Posts: 10,037 ✭✭
    So dallas is essentially calling it a season by going with Romo. Good move, boys!
  • Options
    I don't think the Cowboys are calling it a season just because they are going to start Romo. Everybody knew it would happen sooner or later. Was it over for the Bucs when Simms went out and the Rookie step in. They lost the first one with the rookie in and now are on a what 2 or 3 game winning streak. We will get a better picture of what Romo can do after the Carolina game. Romo should get the first team reps and a chance to prepare as a number 1 Qb.
    Go Cowboys!!!!!!!!!! image
  • Options
    stevekstevek Posts: 27,749 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Agreed - it's clear that Romo isn't even close to being a winning starting quarterback in the NFL. Again...he's got talent but doesn't make good decisions at this point.

Lots of strange things going on in Dallas. Don't forget that "everybody" figured sooner or later Parcells and Jones would blowup against each other. Perhaps Parcells just wants to aggravate Jones for throwing TO at him and having to put up with TO's crap - just guessing of course on my part. But I do feel things are getting personal in Dallas without looking out for what is best for the team - a situation which basically started with signing Owens and proves once again what a cancer he is to a football team.

If it was almost any other team, I'd feel sorry for them...but because it's Dallas...I'm luvin' it!
  • Options

<< <i>I don't think the Cowboys are calling it a season just because they are going to start Romo. Everybody knew it would happen sooner or later. Was it over for the Bucs when Simms went out and the Rookie step in. They lost the first one with the rookie in and now are on a what 2 or 3 game winning streak. We will get a better picture of what Romo can do after the Carolina game. Romo should get the first team reps and a chance to prepare as a number 1 Qb. >>

But the Bucs didn't willingly start Gradkowski - they had to. Parcells and the Cowboys are making a willing choice to go with a green, untested rookie against a ferocious defense. They are essentially saying 'we're done'.

• Options
    They are essentially throwing in the towel on the season. Everyone talks about Romo's talent and being a "future", why wasn't he drafted? Honestly, Bledsoe gives them there best chance at winning. Romo, he's just a fill in guy who will never pan out in the league.

Btw, Giants whooped up.
    Collecting;
    Mark Mulder rookies
    Chipper Jones rookies
    Orlando Cabrera rookies
    Lawrence Taylor
    Sam Huff
    Lavar Arrington
    NY Giants
    NY Yankees
    NJ Nets
    NJ Devils
    1950s-1960s Topps NY Giants Team cards

Looking for Topps rookies as well.

References:
    GregM13
    VintageJeff
  • Options
    Until the offensive line can stop anyone.. i dont think its going to matter who the qb is. They will be under pressure the entire time.
  • Options

<< <i>Until the offensive line can stop anyone.. i dont think its going to matter who the qb is. They will be under pressure the entire time. >>

I totally agree.
    Collecting;
    Mark Mulder rookies
    Chipper Jones rookies
    Orlando Cabrera rookies
    Lawrence Taylor
    Sam Huff
    Lavar Arrington
    NY Giants
    NY Yankees
    NJ Nets
    NJ Devils
    1950s-1960s Topps NY Giants Team cards

Looking for Topps rookies as well.

References:
    GregM13
    VintageJeff
  • Options
    lawnmowermanlawnmowerman Posts: 19,477 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>They are essentially throwing in the towel on the season. Everyone talks about Romo's talent and being a "future", why wasn't he drafted? Honestly, Bledsoe gives them there best chance at winning. Romo, he's just a fill in guy who will never pan out in the league.

>>

I remember people saying the same thing about Tom Brady when he took over for Bledsoe. I am not saying Romo is going to be the next Brady, but someone has to be so you never know.

(Just a Cowboy fan looking for some , if any hope ) image

matt
  • Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,531 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It'll take Romo at least a couple of weeks to get fully comfortable as the starter and by then the Cowboys will be out of the race. Actually, it doesn't matter who's back there at QB if the Cowboys block the way they have, any QB will struggle. Parcells is highly overrated as a head coach, IMO. He gets a pass on alot of things because the media loves him cause he's very entertaining and always good for a quote.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    Parcells is highly overrated as a head coach, IMO. He gets a pass on alot of things because the media loves him cause he's very entertaining and always good for a quote

LMK another coach who's taken 4 different teams to the playoffs in his career and i'll agree

Dave
  • Options
    LMK another coach who's taken 4 different teams to the playoffs in his career and i'll agree

Dave

Show me a coach who's as much of a carpetbagger as Parcells has been. Great coaches don't usually jump from team to team, retiring and unretiring along the way. Don't get me wrong, I think Parcells WAS a great coach for many years, but in Dallas he's been a big disappointment. His first year there when they made the wildcard was a fluke. The team has regressed since then, and that's the opposite of what Parcells-coached teams have done in the past.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    If your going to call inheriting a team that finished 5-11 for three straight years and then leading that same team to a playoff appearance in his first year a " fluke " than i might as well stop debating this now

Dave
  • Options
    If you're going to say that the Cowboys are a better team this year than they were two years ago or even last year under Parcells' command, then no, I won't bother debating either. Don't worry, after this latest 7-9 season and a third straight year missing the playoffs, I'd be surprised if Tuna even comes back to coach next year.

• Options
    If you're going to say that the Cowboys are a better team this year than they were two years ago or even last year under Parcells' command, then no, I won't bother debating either. Don't worry, after this latest 7-9 season and a third straight year missing the playoffs, I'd be surprised if Tuna even comes back to coach next year.

I didn't say anything about whether or not i thought they are a better team this year than in prior years. It's just funny to me when people take jabs at players or coaches and then always downplay whatever positive they do by calling it lucky, a fluke ect. If your going to use bad seasons against him then you can't discount what positives he did

The bottom line is, in the NFL unless you have an absolutely dominating defense, you need a Qb to win

Parcells has had Quincy Carter, Vinny Testarverde, Chad Hutchinson, Drew Henson and Drew Bledsoe

Dave
  • Options
    Parcells overrated?

hahahah best one I've heard all day. Yes, just any coach can win 2 super bowl championships...hell ANYONE can do that, right?

What an absolutely ridiculous and uninformed statement.
  • Options

<< <i>But the Bucs didn't willingly start Gradkowski - they had to. Parcells and the Cowboys are making a willing choice to go with a green, untested rookie against a ferocious defense. They are essentially saying 'we're done'. >>

True, the Bucs didn't want to start Gradkowski but do you think Simms would have done any better. Gradkowski is as green as they get, at least Romo has been around and groomed for a starting Qb job. The thing that dissapoints me the most is the Defense. They are doing good, but not as good as everybody thought they would be. I am waiting for more imagination from our blitz packages. I have not given up hope on the Cowboys.
    Go Cowboys!!!!!!!!!! image
  • Options
    So dallas is essentially calling it a season by going with Romo. Good move, boys!

Right again Ax image