Home World & Ancient Coins Forum

I Want a REALLY OLD Coin...

From the darkside. US Coins are SO EXPENSIVE in the early years. I'd like something before 1700 if possible. Slabbed is great, so I can verify with some certainty the authenticity. I don't want to pay thousand for it, maybe just a lower-grade entry level coin. If anyone has one, that'd be great, or if someone could point me in the direction of an auction or something. Thanks!
To support LordM's European Trip, click here!

Comments

• Steve27Steve27 Posts: 13,267 ✭✭✭
    I suggest you head over to ebay, and foget about the need for a slab (unless you want to submit it yourself). I have many pre-1700 coins which are not expensive and are authentic. Here's my oldest dated coin:

imageimage
    "It's far easier to fight for principles, than to live up to them." Adlai Stevenson
  • Steve, that's almost exactly what I'm looking for. Really old, cool design, lots of history, and character. The only thins is, the coin without a slab would get lost in my collection. I have so many US coins, that I would put it in the same box and probably forget about it. At least in a slab, it would stick out more. I'll see what I can find raw, though. Thanks for the help.
  • coinpicturescoinpictures Posts: 5,345 ✭✭✭
    Got to www.northeastcoin.com

Great reputation here, and I've bought from them countless times. They only deal in slabbed coins. They currently have a number of Austrian 3 Kreuzer pieces from the late 1600s in mint state for less than $200 each. A couple are marked as negotiable. It wouldn't surprise me if you could get one of the MS64 pieces for $160-180.

They also have some nice early French and British pieces, although a tad more expensive.

If you could swing it, the 1641 Thaler below from Augsburg for $1495 is drop-dead gorgeous.

imageimage
  • CladiatorCladiator Posts: 17,918 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Check out this place. Northeast Numismatics

Here's a coin you might like that they have for sale. It's an Austrain Kreuzer from 1697 in MS64, slabbed by NGC. The asking prices is a mere $129.

• What do you guys think about this coin? It's Polish, 1528. Looks to be about the size of a quarter.

Very cheap, character, age, slab, it's all there.
  • Anyone?
  • Steve27Steve27 Posts: 13,267 ✭✭✭
    I like it.
    "It's far easier to fight for principles, than to live up to them." Adlai Stevenson
  • CladiatorCladiator Posts: 17,918 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's in NGC VF35 I believe. Asking price is $75.
  • Yep, that's the one. The starting bid is around $50 on a 7-day auction. 6 Days left. Should I go for it, you think?
  • 1jester1jester Posts: 8,638 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Yep, that's the one. The starting bid is around $50 on a 7-day auction. 6 Days left. Should I go for it, you think? >>

Yes.

And the 1697 3 Kreuzer posted by Cladiator looks really fine with original luster.

imageimageimage
    .....GOD

"Ask, and it shall be given you; seek, and ye shall find; knock, and it shall be opened unto you." -Luke 11:9

"Hear, O Israel: The LORD our God is one LORD: And thou shalt love the LORD thy God with all thine heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy might." -Deut. 6:4-5

"For the LORD is our judge, the LORD is our lawgiver, the LORD is our king; He will save us." -Isaiah 33:22
  • Kurt4Kurt4 Posts: 492 ✭✭
    I've always had a soft spot for Hungarian Denars. I've bought raw from many people on the VCoins site. They are not faked that much because they are so plentiful. They are almost like very very thick tin foil and about the size of a dime.