Home Q & A Forum
Options

Ron, my last question on the Texas state quarters from the C&C set?

What exactly did you see that led the way to not puting a SMS on these. Most everyone from the ANA and the TNA agreed with the fact they were specially stuck? I have shown another set to many people in the numismatic industry and they seem to agree as do most other board members. I was just curious if you could provide some more details.

Thanks,

Jeff

Comments

• Options
    Hi Jeff,

I personally examined these coins and showed them around to our graders for their opinions. In our minds, they are not as convincing as some might believe. The coins are definitely well made, as far as coins go, but the Satin Finish has been problematic from the start. The 2005 coins looked great, except that many of the Denver Mint coins were beat up during transport to the Philadelphia Mint, where the Mint Sets are assembled. In my opinion, the 2006 coins do not rise to the quality of the Satin Finish coins of 2005.

In the absence of any documentation concerning the 2004 Texas Quarter Dollars, and in light of the Mint's denial that they made such coins in 2004 (I know...I know), we have nothing concrete on which to hang our hat.

Is it possible that they are Satin Finish experiments? I guess anything is possible, but you'll have a hard time proving it.
    Ron Guth
    President
    PCGS CoinFacts - the Internet Encyclopedia of U.S. Coins
    www.CoinFacts.com