Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Oh well, I did the Bluemoon coin Best Offer thing

ajaanajaan Posts: 17,124 ✭✭✭✭✭
Thought I would give it a try with some raw Canadian coins. I made three offers. One was rejected, one was counter offered (I declined it), one was accepted. The one accepted had a BIN price of $1,195.00. I offered $150 and it was accepted. Once the coin arrives I'll tell you whether I did well, or I crapped out royally.

DPOTD-3
'Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery'

CU #3245 B.N.A. #428

Don

Comments

• Options
    CladiatorCladiator Posts: 17,920 ✭✭✭✭✭
    "Gutsiest move I've ever seen Mav"
  • Options
    wildjagwildjag Posts: 1,335 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Thought I would give it a try with some raw Canadian coins. I made three offers. One was rejected, one was counter offered (I declined it), one was accepted. The one accepted had a BIN price of $1,195.00. I offered $150 and it was accepted. Once the coin arrives I'll tell you whether I did well, or I crapped out royally. >>

Wow that sure is a hellva markup they had posted image
  • Options
    Kurt4Kurt4 Posts: 492 ✭✭
    I trust Ajaan's judgement. If the coin is worth $150 or a total piece of crap I would be interested in Bluemooncoins justifying their BIN price of $1,195. That just does not seem right.

Edited for spelling.
  • Options
    Here is the link to the coin.

It arrived today. Bluemoon called it MS63, I call it AU58. Not too bad. An AU50 coin Trends for C$160 and MS60 C$300 so I really didn't get the deal of a century but I wasn't really screwed either. Either way this is no way a $1000 coin. image

DPOTD-3

CU #3245 B.N.A. #428

Don
  • Options
    BSBS Posts: 1,318 ✭✭✭
    I was just looking through their auctions talk about sleazy.
  • Options
    coinpicturescoinpictures Posts: 5,345 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I trust Ajaan's judgement. If the coin is worth $150 or a total piece of crap I would be interested in Bluemooncoins justifying their BIN price of $1,195. That just does not seem right.
    >>

Playing devil's advocate for a second, no seller has any duty or obligation to justify their pricing, whether it be starting price, BIN, or reserve. People ask moon money for things all the time, including on this very forum. As a buyer you have 3 choices: (1) pay their price, (2) make an offer, or (3) move along.

I've said in an earlier post that I suspect the reason for the ludicrously high BIN prices is so that they can screen prospective buyers and potentially weigh competing offers. While I'll admit that they take the pricing to an extreme, it logically makes sense.

(of course I may be projecting logical thought where none exists image, and maybe they price them that way because they insanely think there's a snowball's chance in hell of them actually getting that price... however I doubt it).
  • Options
    The coin I won Trends for C$1200 in MS63 which is where they probably got their pricing from.

DPOTD-3

CU #3245 B.N.A. #428

Don
  • Options
    Kurt4Kurt4 Posts: 492 ✭✭
    Ajaan, I'm glad you got your money's worth. As for their pricing, since it trends $1200 in MS63 that does make sense. Whether the coin is a 63 is another matter. Coinpictures does make sense. They just take the risk that some buyers (like myself) will ignore their auctions. If they have a $300 coin priced at $1000 and somebody offers them $700, then they have done quite well.