Home Metal Detecting
Options

What to do with corroded coins

krankykranky Posts: 8,709 ✭✭✭
A retired woman I know asked me to dispose of her brother's conglomeration of old coins. Most he pulled from circulation, but he also had a pile of coins he found while metal detecting years ago.

The large cents and Liberty nickels he dug are quite corroded and pitted. Some nickels are barely recognizable as to type.

I'm pretty sure I can't sell these with the other coins he pulled from circulation - what do people do with them?

New collectors, please educate yourself before spending money on coins; there are people who believe that using numismatic knowledge to rip the naïve is what this hobby is all about.

Comments

• Options
    I see dug crusty coins on Ebay all the time.

example 1

example 2

others...

Completed listings

I think forum member Millennium has sold several dug nickels on Ebay in the past and did ok. (I believe one was a key date buffalo)
    Analog Rules! Knobs and Switches are cool!
    imageimage
  • Options
    krankykranky Posts: 8,709 ✭✭✭
    That seems like the right outlet - thanks, goldrush00013!

New collectors, please educate yourself before spending money on coins; there are people who believe that using numismatic knowledge to rip the naïve is what this hobby is all about.

• Options
    bigtime36bigtime36 Posts: 961 ✭✭✭✭
    Thats what id do with them, if you can at least see what it is someone out there in ebay world will eventually buy them.

Collect raw morgans, walkers, mercs, SLQ, barber q. Looking at getting into earlier date coins pre 1900s.