Home Metal Detecting
Options

So how many use headphones?

I haven't used headphones for years on a detector, but just bought a cheap pair to try out (if I get a chance before the weather really gets bad ), do they really help? Opinions please. I know that lately on really windy days or in areas close to car traffic it can be a pain sometimes waiting for things to settle down to hear a signal. Guess going to full geek mode won't be so bad ( saw last night on tv anyways were the geek look is in style ) Might have to watch out for the dogs though- in last month or so have been licked up once and close a second time- fortunately the dogs were playful labs-that could really move and sneak up on someone down on their knees. Nothing like looking up and seeing a big tongue heading towards you. Owners were always a ways behind, just lucky they weren't pit bulls. Anyways back to the opinions on the phones?

Comments

• Options
    I started off with a cheap set of Calrad's but being round they were not comfortable on my long ears.
    I now use a set of Gray Ghost originals on my Sovereign , which are kinda "D" shaped and more comfortable. The snugger fit really cuts down on outside noise.
    They are a must have in my opinion for a couple of reasons.

#1. They save about 30% or better on battery drainage.
    #2. I hunt using a background threshold and it really helps to hear the slight changes in it of deep targets. (tough to hear them from the built in speaker)
    Analog Rules! Knobs and Switches are cool!
    imageimage
  • Options
    pocketpiececommemspocketpiececommems Posts: 5,744 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't use headphones. For me they are to hot in the summer and I like to know what is going on around me.
  • Options
    DockwalliperDockwalliper Posts: 1,169 ✭✭✭
    Gray Ghosts, I don't leave home without them.

No distracting passing car noises. They make detecting on windy days a breeze and I can pretend I don't hear people when they ask me dumb questions or shout stupid comments. After my digger they are the best detecting investment I've made.
  • Options
    ZotZot Posts: 825 ✭✭✭

<< <i>They make detecting on windy days a breeze and I can pretend I don't hear people when they ask me dumb questions or shout stupid comments. >>

Totally agree with the above. Also, a beeping detector would (I think!) get more attention when detecting around other people, and I have no need for that..

Most of my detecting is done away from people though, so the main reason I use headphones is to help hear faint signals. I've tried unplugging the headphones a few times on really faint signals / breaks in the background "hum", and find it much harder to hear that on the detector's speaker.

I never detect without headphones.

I think DesertRat had a good "no headphones" argument once though - it had to do with hearing rattlesnakes... I won't argue with that one! image
    Minelab: GPX 5000, Excalibur II, Explorer SE. White's: MXT, PI Pro
  • Options
    I tried using headphones, but the taking on and off the them just became too much a pain. I do believe that my results would be better if I did wear them though.
  • Options
    phutphut Posts: 1,087
    I use cheap (walmart $4.99) headphones and usually leave one side out. I do a lot of woods and the cord gets caught a lot. Cheapies either fall off or break, but don't give me whiplash.
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,198 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm not a big headphone user, mostly for the reason ppc mentioned: in the summer, they are too damn hot and uncomfortable. I also end up getting tangled in the cord much of the time. I also have had little luck with headphones, never having had a pair last more than a few months. I do use them occasionally in the wintertime. There are also other circumstances when they're nice to have. Though I do not use them often, I do need to get myself another set.

I prefer to run my detector at a low threshold, so I can hear any changes in the sound. I can almost guarantee you that I don't miss any signals because of my lack of headphones.

When I used the Fisher 1280X, I had no choice. The machine was designed for underwater use and had no external speaker- its headphones were hardwired on to the unit. Those were the one set of headphones that never quit on me or broke. Hellishly uncomfortable to use on steamy summer days here in the humid South, but I found that I could wear them around my neck instead of on my ears, and still hear the signals okay.

I voted "No" to the poll above, since I do not use headphones most of the time. However, as I said, there are times when they come in handy.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options

<< <i>I tried using headphones, but the taking on and off the them just became too much a pain. I do believe that my results would be better if I did wear them though. >>

I put them on when I get out of the car and take them off when I return. No reason to be putting them off and on.
    I was out this week, 40's cold , windy....My ears stayed nice and warm and the wind didn't make me miss any beeps.
  • Options

I guess there should be a third choice of "sometimes" but I did vote "yes"...

I was told by the dealers "always ware HeadPhones" of course they were selling HeadPhones..."-)

Got a good set @ $25.00, fit and sounded good so did not blink too much...

First thing I noticed, it's easy to get lost into what your doing and not be aware of your surroundings...

It's been cool so far in my detecting so not big deal, I'm sure they will come off this summer...

If I was detecting a known "hot spot" I could see were the HeadPhones would come in very handy...

Better to have and not need then need and not have, so in the carry bag they go...

My Ebay Auctions

Currently Listed: Nothing

Take Care, Dave
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>I tried using headphones, but the taking on and off the them just became too much a pain. I do believe that my results would be better if I did wear them though. >>

I put them on when I get out of the car and take them off when I return. No reason to be putting them off and on.
    I was out this week, 40's cold , windy....My ears stayed nice and warm and the wind didn't make me miss any beeps. >>

How do you did a signal without taking them off? My headphones have a expandable cord, but the cord and the detector get in my way when digging. I do like the thought of warm ears when cool weather dectecting.
  • Options
    I use them also it help's for hearing those faint deep signal's and sometime's I'm hunting where you get alot of traffic noise so it is nice to be able drown that out with the headphone's.
    Have never had a problem with the cord getting in the way while digging.HH,Tom
  • Options

<< <i>

How do you did a signal without taking them off? My headphones have a expandable cord, but the cord and the detector get in my way when digging. I do like the thought of warm ears when cool weather dectecting. >>

The cord has never been a problem while I dig. Its just the right length on my Grey Ghosts. I kneel down, set the detector to my right and use my pin pointer and Lesche. The detector is ready at hand if I need to rescan my hole. I very rarely need to remove my phones while detecting.

• Options
    ZotZot Posts: 825 ✭✭✭

<< <i>The cord has never been a problem while I dig. Its just the right length on my Grey Ghosts. I kneel down, set the detector to my right and use my pin pointer and Lesche. The detector is ready at hand if I need to rescan my hole. I very rarely need to remove my phones while detecting. >>

I could have written 95% of that myself, except for the digging tool (I use a different one image ). A sheet of plastic on the left side of the hole is also part of the "ritual".
    It's very much an automatic procedure by now, but I've never had an issue with the cord - not even on my very first detecting trips.
    Minelab: GPX 5000, Excalibur II, Explorer SE. White's: MXT, PI Pro
  • Options
    -->YES<--
    A must! ! ! Saves batteries. Keeps people from just talking away. Blocks noise from traffic, wind and waves.
    I go out EARLY in the AM...The beep would be too much for that early.

I don't always cover both ears.

Jerry
    CROCK of COINS
    imageimage
  • Options
    Dockwalliper, I often hit some rugged, heavily wooded areas. Sometimes the ground is not even level, so the detector wants to slide around and such. Some of the places I end up just make me laugh sometimes. But I think I will give them a try again.
  • Options
    kevinstangkevinstang Posts: 1,517 ✭✭✭
    Well I went out today for the first time with the headphones- definately helped today with the wind noise- and helped keep my ears warm. Took some getting used to- but definately seemed to help identify the solid targets (coins) better-signal much more audible. Also seemed to dig less trash- only got one Shafer bottle cap (in the park where every outing usually yields at least a handful). Dug 5 wheats and a handful of other coins, no silver. Not much detecting time left for me this year, but I think the phones will be back next year ! image
  • Options
    Headphones are a must. If you do not have headphones, you are missing targets. That's a fact. Most detector companies put speakers on as an after thought.
  • Options
    I always use headphones.......Some of the signals I have had were extremely weak. There is NO way I would have heard them without headphones...
  • Options
    I love using my headphones because they buffer me from the ambient noise that is going on while I'm detecting. The majority of detecting I do is in the city and the noise is hard to filter out without phones. Also, where I live the wind is a constant problem. Detecting is relaxing to me and it's difficult to really get "lost" in it with all the racket going on. Other factors why I use phones are. I've worked around aircraft engines for 35 years. And there has been times (too many) when I was 5 feet from the speakers at Black Sabbath, BOC, Led Zeppelin, Molly Hatchet, Nugent, Stevie Ray, Thorogood, yada, yada, yada. Yes, that's the real reason. I can't fool you guys.

imageimageimage