Home Metal Detecting
Options

Maryland Watersheds, Low Water Level

I have been living in north central Maryland most of my 54 years. I'm into bass fishing and enjoy launching my bass boat @ one of the local watersheds Baltimore City owns. The one I like to fish is called Prettyboy. It is actually north of Loch Raven. Those who live in the area I'm sure know about these two watersheds. There is a lot of history concerning the water way that made up both watersheds. A major river called the Gunpowder was blocked in the early 1900's by two dams. Before this took place, there were farms all along the river valley plus, the first paper mill in Maryland was there too along with settlers and indians of early days. When I used to metal detect years ago, I had the opportunity to take the advantage of the low water level and search for relics around the old foundations. I discovered many old coins and of cousre things I had no idea what they were. The water level is down currently 20 feet, exposing some of the foundations. Now that I'm back into metal detecting, and with a more modern machine, I'm ready to hit the shorelines again. Anyone interested and doing some detecting with me at the lake I'd welcome. I can still launch my boat to travel to known locations where some good finds may happen. I'm also going to check out the old paper mill which was established in the 1700's. I also need to get back to my place where my stepfather and mother live which is located right on South Mountain. There back woods home is located right smack in the area where the Battle of South Mountain took place. So much to detect, so little time but, I'm making time now since I'm semi-retired.

rimage

Comments

• Options
    kevinstangkevinstang Posts: 1,517 ✭✭✭
    Wow, sounds like a great offer and some good spots to get too, wish I lived closer and had the time. They flooded alot of lands and towns up here where I am from when they built the St.Lawrence Seaway too, including the farm my mother was born and raised on.