Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

1834 is the third informative picture thread covering the Capped Bust Half series. Show your Bust Ha

Comments

• Options
    The 1834 O-120 die marriage.

There are 21 die marriages in the 1834 Bust Halves (Not counting the Crushed Letter Edge O-122, R7). The O-120 is 1 of the 3 very scarce 1834 die marriages. These very scarce die marriages are the O-121, O-120, and O-119 struck in that order in the later half of calendar year 1835.

The obverse die used to strike this die marriage is Obv. die 18. Obverse die 18 was used earlier in 1835 to strike the 1834 O-121 and immedately after striking the 1834 O-120 to strike the 1834 O-119.

The reverse die used to strike this die marriage is Rev. die T. This was the third and last use of this die. It was used earlier in the year to strike the 1835 O-107 (1834 Rev. die T is the same as 1835 Rev. die C) and immediately before to strike the 1835 O-104.

Quick identifiers for this die marriage:

(1) On the obverse the date is called a stair-step date. The 8 and 4 are higher than the adjacent numbers giving a stair-step appearance.

(2) On the obverse Star 7 has been has been recut at the upper point. The recutting can be seen at both sides of the point.

(3) On the reverse there is a vertical tine from the right corner of the shield extending nearly into the field.

(4) On the reverse the 5 has a long pointed horn-top. The 5 is substantially higher than the zero.

NOTE: The O-120 and the O-121 can be easily confused on circulated specimens. They both share the same obverse. The vertical tine at the upper right corner of the shield as on the O-120 may be worn away. The O-121 also has a high horn-top, but this horn top has been cut over a straight top---and this recutting may not show.

A HINT TO SEPARATE the 2 die marriages: On the O-120 the tip of the olive branch is over an imaginary point halfway between the right side of the stand of the C in 50 C. and the upper serif of the C. On the O-121 the tip of the olive branch lies above the center of the stand of the C.

Photos of the 1834 O-120, R4:

• Options
    mozinmozin Posts: 8,755 ✭✭✭

Some diagnostics for Small Date Small Letters 1834 O-110 R3:

imageimage

Obverse: Star 1 points to upper edge of dentil. Stars 8, 9, and 10 are recut, most obvious on S10. Stars sharp except for S8. Usually, there is a patch of tiny die dots in field below ribbon end. Upper serif on “1” is long. (Same obverse as O-109.)

imageimage

Reverse: Lines 2 & 3 of stripe 3 extend too far upwards, and all lines of stripes 4 & 5 extend too far downward. “50 C” has a large “C”, and “5” is recut at its flag tip. A die crack circles the reverse from tail feathers to claw. “I” centered under left side of “T”.
    I collect Capped Bust series by variety in PCGS AU/MS grades.
  • Options
    The 1834 O-113 die marriage.

Small Date, Small Letters

This die marriage was struck using Obverse die 12 and Reverse die M. This is the only use of these dies.

The quick indentifiers for this die marriage are:

(1) On the obverse the 3 is small and nearly closed.
    (2) On the obverse star 13 has been recut at the lower and outer points.
    (3) On the obverse the mouth is open with a sharp curl to the upper lip.
    (4) On the reverse the E in PLURIBUS has been recut to the left. The remains of the first E can be seen on most specimens.
    (5) The arrowheads are very narrow, sharp and widely separated.

Photos of the 1834 O-113, R1:

• Options
    imageimage

Some diagnostics for Small Date Small Letters 1834 O-111 R1 Child’s Head:

imageimageimage

Obverse: Star 1 points to upper half of dentil. Liberty has a round cheek, mouth slightly open, and wide-eyed appearance. S6 & S7 are recut on upper, and upper right points. Low date with “18” leaning right and “34” leaning left.

imageimageimage

Reverse: Irregular heights in letters “TATE”. Usually, a defect line runs through lower part of stripe 4. Line 3 of stripe 3, and lines 1 & 2 of stripe 6, extend up to crossbar 2. In “50 C”, the “0” is low, and the high “C” nearly touches the olive stem. “I” centered under right side of “T”.
  • Options
    tydyetydye Posts: 3,894 ✭✭✭
  • Options
    tydye,

Very pretty 1834 Large Date, Small Letters O-108 R2.image
  • Options

• Options
    FEVERFEVER Posts: 232
    Here is an 1834, O-118, R4-. Small Date and Small Letters. This is the famous 1834 over 1834 (the entire date has been recut with the recutting showing better on the 34 than the 18. The reverse shows that the I is completely right of the T, actually centered between the T and E of STATES. Some of the lettering of the reverse shows recutting on most - but not all. I believe that something was going on with this obverse/reverse die paring in the form of some type of experiment. The horizontal shield lines are always "funky" looking and the obverse almost ALWAYS shows this opposite area of Miss Liberty's hair detail weak and flat.

Edgar

• Options
    Mozin,

I like your 34, O-108 above too! I WANT IT! PLEASE??? OK, fine. I'll keep the one I have below. Here's another 34, O-108, R2 and a very scarce 1834, O-110, R4. The design of Liberty on the O-110 is simply beautiful and the only thing you need to know to attribute it are the two oversize dentils between the date and Star 13 (Note: Even though this obverse die was used with Reverse I (O-109) the oversize dentils do not appear visually appear as such on the O-109). This marriage was actually struck in 1836 and reported by the Mint under the 1836 mintage.

Edgar

First the O-108.

Next the scarce O-110

• Options
    imageimage

Some diagnostics for Small Date Small Letters 1834 O-112 R3:

Obverse: Star 1 points to upper half of dentil. Star 7 points to lower edge of dentil, to center of headband, has slender points, and a hollow center. Mouth is open, and Miss Liberty appears to have an upper hair lip. This specimen has a double profile.

imageimageimage

Reverse: Stripes 1 & 2 each have one line extending to the fifth crossbar, and several others also extend too far upwards. Line 3 of stripe 3 extends too far downward. High “50 C” has a small “5” with a straight top and nearly closed loop, and top of “0” is widely recut showing well above. “TATE” is set at irregular heights, not even at bases. Left side of “I” is under right side of “T”.

• Options

Here's a 1834 / O-102 / R.1

My Ebay Auctions

Currently Listed: Nothing

Take Care, Dave
  • Options
    OOOPS wrong date... posted it again to the right place.
  • Options
    Oldcameoproofsguy,

That is a pretty Bustie, but it is the wrong date for this thread.
  • Options
    1834, O-101, R1

Edgar

• Options
    1834, O-104, R2

Edgar

• Options
    1834, O-105, R1

Edgar

• Options
    1834, O-107, R1

Edgar

• Options
    Here is another 1834, O-109, R1 to compare with Mozin's earlier post where he listed the pickup points. It just arrived just this very week as an upgrade!

This marriage was struck in very late 1835/early 1836 at a time when ANY dies that were left, from previous years, were being used up before the 1836 reeded edge coins would be "test" struck at the Second US Mint.

Edgar

• Options
    edmerlredmerlr Posts: 563
    Here is another missing die STATE: the 1834 O-115a, R4.

The 1834 O-115 die marriage is considered "slightly uncommon" as far as rarity. It is given the R2 rarity rating.

The late die state of this die marriage (the O-115a) is considered "very scarce" and is given the R4 ratity rating.

The only difference between the O-115 and the O-115a die states is seen on the 0 of 50 C. on the reverse.

When this reverse die was punched the 0 of 50 C. was recut. The recutting can be seen at the right of the remaining 0 and most noticeably seen to the lower right of this remaining 0.

For the striking of the O-115a the die had been reworked and lapped to remove any sign of the 0's recutting.

I will first show photos (obverse and reverse) of my O-115a, then I will follow up with the reverse photo of my O-115. Without the aid of red arrows or a photo enlargement you can still see the recutting at the lower right of the 0 on the O-115.

Photos of my 1834 O-115a, R4:

Next the photo of the reverse of my O-115: (Compare the 0's on the two reverses)

• Options
    This marriage has been shown before, but is is a pretty one.

imageimage

Some diagnostics for 1834/4 O-106 R1:

imageimage

Obverse: Star 1 points to upper half of dentil. Large crude 4 is cut over small 4, showing above crosslet. Most stars are flat. 1 and 4 are much taller than 83. There is a pair of twin segments between stars 6 & 7.

imageimageimage

Reverse: Curved left leg of M is over a straight M, and is joined to bottom center of M. This leg is directly above the right end of the scroll. 5 is tipped to the left. Upper left corner of shield is doubled. I is centered under T.
  • Options
    Here is a missing die marriage: the 1834 O-119, R4:

This 1834 die marriage was struck in the later part of calendar year 1835.

The obverse of this die marriage was struck using Obverse Die 18. This was the third and last use of this die. This obverse die was used prior to strike the O-121, R4 and then the O-120, R4. All three DM's were struck in 1835.

The revese of this die marriage was struck using Reverse Die S. This was the first of two uses of this reverse die. This reverse die was used immediately after to strike the 1835 O-103. For the 1835 series the reverse die is named Reverse Die B.

Quick identifiers for this die marriage:

(1) On the obverse there is a stair-step date. The 8 & 4 are higher than the adjacent numbers giving a stair-step appearance.
    (2) Star 7's upper point is recut with the recutting showing on both sides.
    (3) The mouth is open with an ugly curl to the upper lip.
    (4) Sloping die lines are visible under the stripes of the shield (this is clearly seen on my coin)
    (5) The letters of UNITED have been recut and shifted right. This is most obvious on NTED.

Photos of my 1834 O-119, R4:

• Options
    Here's another missing die marriage: The 1834 O-117, R2.

This die marriage was struck using Obverse Die 16 and Reverse Die Q. This was the only use of these dies.

The date of this DM has the 18 noticeably wider than 834. 34 is tipped more to the left than 18. The tall 1 has a long bold serif and the 3 is well open.

The photo of my 1834 O-117, R2's obverse:

The reverse of this DM has a rotated and doubled A of STATES. The A is rotated clockwise and recut. The recutting shows below the horizontal bar of the A and inside the triangle. This recutting is very weak and hard to see on LDS coins.

The photo of my 1834 O-117, R2's reverse:

• Options
    My 1834 bustie:

Exclusively collecting Capped Bust Halves in VF to AU, especially rarity 3 and up.
    Joe G.
    Great BST purchases completed with commoncents123, p8nt, blu62vette and Stuart. Great coin swaps completed with rah1959, eyoung429 and Zug. Top-notch consignment experience with Russ.
  • Options
    jobiwan115,

Because of the narrow arrowheads, your coin is either O-113 or O-114. The DE position and end of the scroll looks like the O-113 R1.
  • Options
    Here is a missing die marriage: The 1834 O-121, R3

This scarce die marriage was struck towards the last half of calendar year 1835.

The obverse was struck using Obverse Die 18 - a left over die from the previous year. This was the first of three uses of this die. It would be used later in 1835 to strike the very scarce 1834 O-120, R4 and then the very scarce 1834 O-119, R4.

The reverse used to strike this die marriage was 1834 Reverse Die U. This was the third and last use of this die. It was used prior to strike the 1835 O-101 and then the 1835 O-102. 1834 Rev. Die U is the same as 1835 Rev. Die A.

Quick identifiers for this die marriage are:

(1) The mouth of the portrait is slightly open with an ugly curl to the upper lip. The portait's nose is very prominent compared to the other 1834 die marriages.

(2) Stair step date. The date has figures that are progressively lower and closer together from left to right.

(3) The upper right serif of the I in PLURIBUS is filled. The upper portion to the B next to the I has a triangular defect in the upright: image

(4) The 5 of 50 C is recut with the original cutting counterclockwise and showing above the flag of the 5 and to the left of the upright. The 0 is also recut on the inside of some specimens: image

Photos of my 1834 O-121, R3: (ex Reiver)

• Options
    Here is another dup Bustie...

imageimage

Some diagnostics for 1834/4 O-106 R1:

imageimage

Obverse: Star 1 points to upper half of dentil. Large crude 4 is cut over small 4, showing above crosslet. Most stars are flat. 1 and 4 are much taller than 83. There is a pair of twin segments between stars 6 & 7.

imageimageimage

Reverse: Curved left leg of M is over a straight M, and is joined to bottom center of M. This leg is directly above the right end of the scroll. 5 is tipped to the left. Upper left corner of shield is doubled. I is centered under T.
  • Options
    Surprisingly the last missing die marriage to this Thread is the common 1834 O-116, R1.

This die marriage was struck using Obverse Die 15 and Reverse Die P. This was the only use of these dies.

Quick identifiers for this die marriage are:

(1) On the obverse there is a small defect in the field just left of the breast. (Red Arrow on my scan) On high grade, early strike examples this will appear under a loupe as a wavy outline around the end and the front of the bust.

(2) There is a double outline of the clasp. This is the first use of Master Hub 8. The O-113 and O-114 DM's have similar clasps.

(3) On the reverse the leaf is pierced by the upper tail feather ending as a knob on the other side. (Purple arrow on my scan)

Photos of my 1834 O-116, R1:

• Options
    Just like edmerlr Senior Member stated for the 1834 O-116.
    "...On high grade, EDS examples this will appear under a loupe as a wavy outline around the end and the front of the bust."
    There is also a short die crack from the upper right edge of the 1 off into the field.

The graver slip thru the leaf.

Reverse details around the "A" in States and Scroll usually not very well struck-up.

Mike
  • Options
    No one has posted to the thread in about 3 months so here's another 1834-O-113 Transitional Abominable Bas#ard piece. Miss Liberty's overall bust has been cut down in size, on the hub, with many, many small changes to the design. The Eagle, overall, resembles the quarter design, much more scrawny and the shield protrudes into the field above the left wing (Compare the Eagle's design elements to other 1834 earlier in this thread - how many other differences can you see?).

This was experiment by Kneass to hub the stars and devices into the working die as opposed to individually punching the stars one at a time (Friend and fellow researcher Brad Karoleff was the first to introduce this theory many years ago). This test failed. Within a year Franklin Peale came back from his trip to Europe with many minting method refinements. These advancements were incorporated into the Second U.S. Mint, and, with the addition of steam to power the presses, the stars would shortly (1836) be hubbed into the working dies in their complete form.

Other interesting features: There is the remnants of an earlier punched E in the Scroll, directly to the right of the corrected and visible E. Also, check out the size of the arrowheads which are longer and thinner than all other Capped Bust Half Dollars. These pieces (O-113 and O-114) ALWAYS come weakly struck at the tops of the Eagle's wings. Additionally, most often, the Scroll is weakly struck in the middle of PLURIBUS as this reduced bust test STILL pulled metal away from the scroll on the opposite side due to the overall bust height. In fact, if the scroll is fully struck on a piece then the bust end will show a flat spot - even on uncirculated pieces. The nostril of the nose and also the curl above the eye most often shows the same flat strike. This is not wear, is very flat, and shelf-like. There simply was no metal left to go completely up and into the die cavity.

Here is the Transitional O-113 of 1834.

Edgar

• Options
    Thank you FEVER for bringing this 1834 thread back to life again.

(If we had waited much longer for a posting on this thread, I would have been "forced" to post my 1834 Dansco pages. Smile. Grin. Smile.)

I know that I have read your explanaton of the Adominable Bas#ards before, but the way that you explain things and the syntax that you use makes me believe that I am reading it for the first time everytime I read it.

Either I partied too much in my youth causing me to lose some cognitive abilities (and kill more than a few brain cells) and/or you are one Heck of a writer.

Regards,

Ed R.
  • Options
    imageimage

Some diagnostics for Small Date Small Letters 1834 O-120 R4:

imageimageimage

Obverse: Star 1 points to lower half of dentil. Stair step date, so named because the figures are progressively lower and closer together from left to right. Star 7 recut at upper point. This Liberty has the biggest nose in the series. Her mouth is slightly open, and it has an ugly curled upper lip.

imageimage

Reverse: 50 C is slanted left, with the 5 higher and tipped more sharply. The 5 has a broadly curved top called the Horn top 5. There is a vertical tine protruding upwards from the upper right corner of the shield. Left sides of I and T are in line.

Note: rotated dies
  • Options
    And here is 1834, O-114 (AB Transitional - see my above post). How can you tell this is an O-114 and not an O-113? Look at the distance between the feathers below the shield and the top of the Eagle's right claw (your right - I know technically it's the Eagle's left claw) on the reverse. On O-113 there is very little field space. On O-114 it is open and noticeably wider - that's it!

Edgar

1834, O-114 (Transitional Abominable Bas#ard)

• Options
    Good to hear from you again Edgar!
    The little things tips are the best!
    How do you get your Fever icon to spin?
    Mike
  • Options
    FEVER...

...another beautiful, original crusty 1834. What more can I say?

Sorry for the delay in responding.

I have been sidetracked doing my Continental Currency thing AND getting those coins we talked about ready to sell.

Regards,

Ed R.
  • Options
    Mike,

A friend of mine made it for me using a little program called Xara3D 6.0 and said it was a little program that was easy to use and only took him 3 or 4 minutes!

Edgar
  • Options
    Thanks Edgar...
    I figured it would be something the over fifty computer geeks couldn't do easily.
    Keep the little tips coming.
    image....Mike
  • Options
    Thought I would "re"post my latest addition here. 1834, O-115a, R4. She is ex-edmerel and a true beauty that just arrived in today's mail from his most recent mail bid sale. And, since I just photographed her, now you can see her true colors! Compare her to Ed's scanner image earlier in this 1834 post.

Edgar

• Options
    EDGAR!
    Its a big difference!
    A very nice ex-Ed coin.
    Cool iridescence in that reverse toning.
    Mike
  • Options
    FEVER,

Your camera shot looks a lot better than the earlier scan. Must be nice to have a photographer wife, especially one that appreciates Busties.image
  • Options
    holeinone1972holeinone1972 Posts: 5,348 ✭✭✭
    Here is my 34

It was cleaned I guess, but it has a nice medium dark look in hand.

Here is another photo showing the lettered edge.

Can anyone attribute it?
  • Options
    It looks to be the O-114 R-1, but since many of these are closely similar,
    I can't be 100% sure with the details of your pictures.
    It is a second used of the dies as seen with little or no segments.
    Also it is a Small date with Small letters reverse.
    But it's not a O-115a because the T to I alignment aren't right.
    Hope this helps you out.
    Who did your edge pictures?
    Those are nice to reference too.
    Mike
  • Options

<< <i>
    Who did your edge pictures?
    Those are nice to reference too.
    Mike >>

Me, I just used the reflector from a flahlight.

Kinda neat.

• Options
    Also looks to me to be the O-114, one of only two marriages with the narrow arrowheads. It certainly is not the O-113, the other narrow arrowhead marriage.
  • Options
    holeinone1972
    Hey, That's a good idea, didn't even think about that?image
    Did you have to block it up so it would focus the edge letters?
    or just drop it in there?
    Mike
  • Options
    Just drop it in there and shine a bunch of light on it.

It was quite simple.

Unscrew the top[ of a flashlight, take out the bulb, and the cover, drop coin into the reflector, and shoot.

It works for all edge lettered coins, or if you wish to show the reeded edge of a coin.

Rob
  • Options
    Thanks Rob....to Cool
  • Options
    StuartStuart Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭✭✭
    1834 Capped Bust Half Dollar (Prooflike) Large Date & Large Letters - Reflective Images

1834 Capped Bust Half Dollar (Prooflike) Large Date & Large Letters

Stuart

Collect 18th & 19th Century US Type Coins, Silver Dollars, $20 Gold Double Eagles and World Crowns & Talers with High Eye Appeal

"Luck is what happens when Preparation meets Opportunity"
  • Options
    You may call me Dave
    BHNC member # 184!

http://www.busthalfaddict.com
  • Options
    You may call me Dave
    BHNC member # 184!

http://www.busthalfaddict.com

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji