Home Metal Detecting
Options

My MXT is so smart...

I hit one of the local parks after I dropped my daughter off this morning. Not a bad day. I came away with about $4 in clad and pennies. And I scored wild card. Just walking along I found a sterling silver ring (925) just laying on the grass. Well that made my day. I'll post the picture as soon as the wife lets me have the camera back. A funny thing happened when I was puttering around. My MXT is so smart. I got a hit that registered 50 cents. Needless to say my heart started pounding faster. When I dug it out is wasn't a 50 cent piece, but it was 2 quarters one on top of the other. Yep, that's 50 cents. I had quite a laugh at that one.

Gary

Here's the ring and some scale. Considering the park I found it in and the design, I'm guessing a gang member lost it.

GWN
imageimageimage

Comments

• Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,218 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I heard somebody else mention that they got a 50c reading on a pair of quarters (with a different detector). Kinda funny.

Once I got a loud quarter signal (though it might've hopped into the 50c range once or twice). Dug down, found a modern quarter less than an inch deep, just like I was expecting. Checked the hole. Beep! Up came another. Beep! Again. Out came a third one. Three clad quarters in one hole. Hey, cool... money for the tollbooth. Checked the hole again. Still a beep, and a "quarter" to "half dollar" reading. Poked around, and found no more clad quarters. Hm. Dug a little deeper, and from another two or three inches down, out popped a 1937-D half dollar- my first Walking Liberty!

The site was a sidewalk strip that had probably been a bus stop when the town had public transit (during the WW2 shipbuilding boom time). Obviously the Walker half had been lost back then, and the three modern quarters coincidentally were dropped on exactly the same spot a generation or more later.

Funny how stuff like that happens.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    That's a good story LM. I wish all the holes I pulled multiple coins out of ended with a walker!

Gary
    imageimageimage
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,218 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Your smart MXT identified two quarters as fifty cents, but once my dumb Garrett ID-ed a half as a quarter:

I kinda wish it made errors like that more often, if you know what I mean.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    coinnut86coinnut86 Posts: 1,592 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Your smart MXT identified two quarters as fifty cents, but once my dumb Garrett ID-ed a half as a quarter:

I kinda wish it made errors like that more often, if you know what I mean. >>

I AM SO JEALOUS image