Home PSA Set Registry Forum

1971 Low Pops

What cards that were once considered difficult in 1971 are now easy to obtain? In the last couple of months I have picked up Longborg, Reynolds, and Cards Rookies, all in PSA 8, for less than $100 total. Also, why does Boog Powell cost so much? It is one of the higher pop cards.

I noticed that a Weis went for $400 more than Carty, despite having a higher pop. Is it the Mets factor at work?

Comments

• I think the Weis auction was a classic case of just two registrants badly wanting the card; no Mets factor there.

The Powell is somewhat pricey in an 8 probably because of moderate star power plus the short print "aura".

• The prices started to fall after I was 20% done with the set. The problem was I already had all the high end cards.
  • gemintgemint Posts: 6,064 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Dang, my Weis 8 sold for about $225 several months ago. Talk about leaving money on the table. image
  • bri2327bri2327 Posts: 3,178 ✭✭
    I am really glad I got out of that set when I did, about 2 yrs ago. I was around 50% in 8 or better..actually had around a dozen 9's and 2 10's.

So many 8's that I paid good coin for have dropped off the charts in the past 2 years since pops rose. Conigliaro is one that comes to mind off the top of my head. I paid just over $200 for mine, sold it 2 yrs later for around $100, and have since seen it go as low as $40-50.
    "The other teams could make trouble for us if they win."
    -- Yogi Berra