Home Metal Detecting

So far MD'ing at my new house has been a bust/ Posted pics of some fossils

In another thread My other thread I was asking about the medallion that my son and I found. The house was built in 1897 and finding the medallion gave me hope of finding more cool stuff.

I have covered about 1/3 of my yard so far and have found 31 memorial Lincolns, 2 clad dimes and 5 clad quarters. We did manage to find some old keys but that's about it.

We plan on going out saturday to try and finish the rest of the yard before winter sets in. At this point I would be happy with a wheatie.

My daughter was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes at the age of 2 (2003). My son was diagnosed with Type 1 when he was 17 on December 31, 2009. We were stunned that another child of ours had been diagnosed. Please, if you don't have a favorite charity, consider giving to the JDRF (Juvenile Diabetes Research Foundation)

JDRF Donation

Comments

• BunkerBunker Posts: 3,926
    I have found some cool looking fossils down by the creek that runs behind the house.

The last one has some "texture" to it. I thought it looked like a tooth but someone else told me that it looked like ancient coral Anybody know what it is for sure?

My daughter was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes at the age of 2 (2003). My son was diagnosed with Type 1 when he was 17 on December 31, 2009. We were stunned that another child of ours had been diagnosed. Please, if you don't have a favorite charity, consider giving to the JDRF (Juvenile Diabetes Research Foundation)

JDRF Donation
  • That fossil is called a horn coral from the Order Rugosa. Southwestern Ohio was covered by a shallow warm sea during the Ordovician and Silurian periods of the Paleozoic and Cambrian periods. Cincinnati is rich in many types of fossils. You can find many interesting things in the road cuts down around your area. There is a place at Ceasars Creek lake near Waynesville about an hour north of Cincy that you can hunt fossils as well.

Hope this helps

Mike
    Reds Team Set Collector (Raw)
    Pete Rose PSA Basic Set
    Johnny Bench PSA Basic Set
    That helped a lot thank you image Those periods were 417 to 493 million years ago. How does something like that just lay on the ground for all those years? Stuff like that just amazes me.

What about the second one? Any ideas on that one?

JDRF Donation
  • The second fossil looks like an eroded chunk of a sediment layer. It contains a conglomeration of various plant and organism remains. Sometimes this layer of sediment would cover and adhere to a rock or other hard structure already present.

I see some Crinoid stem remains in the conglomeration. They are the little round disc looking things with a hole in the middle of them. Crinoids were a plant with a long segmented stem with a bulbous top to them. Do a google on Crinoid and you can find more information on them. Finding one intact is a real challenge and I have yet to do it. The best I have done is finding a four inch part of the stem containing about 14 of the segmented discs. I found that at Lake Cumberland while camping and fishing.

Another cool fossil to look for in Southwestern Ohio is the Trilobite. They range in size starting at the size of a matchhead to about 12 inches in length. The large ones are very rare though. I beleive the largest one ever found in Ohio was from the Ceasars Creek lake region and is now housed at the Smithsonian. They have a replica of it at the Ceasars Creek lake visitors center.

Thanks
    Mike
    Pete Rose PSA Basic Set
    Wow thank you for all the information! I wiil do a little research and some more digging down by the creek. These guys were just laying on top...I just happened to stumble across them.

Rick

JDRF Donation
  • Cool finds!

You sure this one isn't fossilized Shredded Wheat? image

• lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,467 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wow, marine fossils in the Midwest. I find stuff that sort of looks like that here (along with the shark teeth I primarily try to find), but it's not particularly surprising in my area: I'm on the seacoast.

MS70D, it's good to see somebody who's knowledgeable about fossils here.

Don't be discouraged that your house hasn't produced Wheaties or silver yet- it might just be "playing hard to get". It's gotta be there. I'd say you're fairly assured of a few Wheaties before long. There's probably one or two silvers that might take some time to find, but they're out there. An Indian cent or two is something I have a strong feeling you might pull up in time. Even if those take you a while to find, you've already outdone any of that with the badge you dug.

I sure wish I had a yard with some 19th century potential. Wanna see what kind of stuff MY yard produces?

Crap, crap, crap, HUGE crap, 1963 Memorial cent, crap, crap, crap, crap, crap. Oh, joy.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Cool fossils!
    I've found a few fossils while arrowhead hunting here in OH.
    They are a welcomed surprise!

<< <i>MS70D, it's good to see somebody who's knowledgeable about fossils here. >>

I agree.

BTW- thats a nice icon you have there! It looks very familiar. image
    Analog Rules! Knobs and Switches are cool!
    imageimage
  • Goldrush

I borrowed that avatar from the community pool of icons because I am too lazy to make one of my own. I hope you don’t mind.

I have a couple of banner stones that I found but they are not near that cool!

I love to learn about old artifacts and the thrill of the chase. I’m into coin collecting, metal detecting, fossil hunting and searching for Indian artifacts. Luckily southwest Ohio is very conducive to all of the above. I belong to the Ohio Archeological Society. My chapter "MACC" meets in Milford, Ohio once a month. Most of the members are strictly into Indian artifacts, but a couple members are also into metal detecting when the crops are on and we can’t hunt points. If you live in the area and want to come to one of the meetings let me know. We love to have guests.

I live on a large farm that has been in my family since before Ohio was a state. I have located an old house site out in one of our fields and have had the chance to detect it a couple of times. I found some really cool stuff and will have to take some pics and post them. A lot of the finds are dated in the very early 1800's. One of the buttons dates to the late 1700's. I will get a chance to extensively hunt the area because my wife and I are currently building a new house on the old house site. I have a few friends who are going to hunt with me, before, during and after excavation of the foundation.

Thanks
    Mike
    Pete Rose PSA Basic Set

• << <i>Goldrush

I borrowed that avatar from the community pool of icons because I am too lazy to make one of my own. I hope you don’t mind. >>

Not in the least. I noticed someone has used the frog pipe I uploaded as well.

<< <i>I have a couple of banner stones that I found but they are not near that cool! >>

I've found a few as well but none as rare or nice as that icon.

<< <i>I love to learn about old artifacts and the thrill of the chase. I’m into coin collecting, metal detecting, fossil hunting and searching for Indian artifacts. Luckily southwest Ohio is very conducive to all of the above. I belong to the Ohio Archeological Society. My chapter "MACC" meets in Milford, Ohio once a month. Most of the members are strictly into Indian artifacts, but a couple members are also into metal detecting when the crops are on and we can’t hunt points. If you live in the area and want to come to one of the meetings let me know. We love to have guests. >>

I'm an ASO member as well, though I don't belong to a local chapter as yet. If I'm ever down that way I'll give you a shout.

<< <i>I live on a large farm that has been in my family since before Ohio was a state. I have located an old house site out in one of our fields and have had the chance to detect it a couple of times. I found some really cool stuff and will have to take some pics and post them. A lot of the finds are dated in the very early 1800's. One of the buttons dates to the late 1700's. I will get a chance to extensively hunt the area because my wife and I are currently building a new house on the old house site. I have a few friends who are going to hunt with me, before, during and after excavation of the foundation. >>

Sounds like a great hunt! Best of luck to you!

John
    Analog Rules! Knobs and Switches are cool!
    imageimage
  • phutphut Posts: 1,087
    Wow, compared to the fossils, anything metal you find will be modern crapimage