Home Metal Detecting
Options

Opinions on this MD for my 8 year old son....

goose3goose3 Posts: 11,471 ✭✭✭
??
LINK

Thanks

Comments

• Options
    kevinstangkevinstang Posts: 1,517 ✭✭✭
    You will learn out fast how much he likes digging holes, I had a detector like that when I was young- fortunately I liked digging holes image and soon bought a better one- or should I say convinced my parents I needed a better one.
  • Options

I would bump up to the Ace 250 if possible...

I was very impressed with the ease of use and visual controls, should keep his interest a little better

If it dose not work out you can always sell it on the boards for $150 lick-a-dee split...

Or keep it your self for a back-up, it's a Kool little light weight machine...

Of course it's always easier spending other people's money..."-)

KellyCo has a good deal @ $212 delivered and a accessory pack too boot...

My Ebay Auctions

Currently Listed: Nothing

Take Care, Dave
  • Options
    i agree with denver dave, get the ace 250.....if your son does'nt like it, your're not stuck with $60.00 worth of junk, you'll have a good back up or you can sell it used and be out the same amount of money
    ( about 60.00 bucks).....if he likes it he will have a machine that is much better, and wont need to upgrade anytime soon......bottom line: just getting him out there to hunt and spend time with is the key....hh
    "see ya at the beach"
    imageimageimageimage
  • Options
    I don't MD.....I thought he might enjoy one to fool with. We live out in the country and there's plenty of room for him to fool with it.
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,198 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That's probably a good machine for an 8-year-old. It's as much a toy as it is a detector. Since he's still pretty young and you're not sure how serious he'll be, you could start him out with a better "toy" like that, but don't expect tremendous results. My first detector, when I was 12 or 13, back in the late 1970s, was a $20 plastic job that didn't even beep- it had a red light on top that flashed! Even the "real" detectors then were relatively primitive by today's standards- you judged a serious machine by whether it had discrimination or not!

Maybe start him out with smoething like that and then you're not out too much money when it becomes closet clutter. OR, if it's something you think you'll want to share, and go out with him to use, and perhaps use some yourself, I would recommend stepping up to the Garrett Ace 250 as mentioned, or at least the Ace 150. (Or a similar entry model from another manufacturer, in the $150-200 range, new).

I still have the used Garrett GTAx-550 you once asked about, and later decided you weren't interested in. But it would probably not be ideal for an 8-year-old novice anyway. I did have a swap agreed upon with a forum member who was gonna send me a nice coin for it, but that has apparently fallen through as said forum member vanished (and I've been absent a lot myself). He never answered my last PM.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    I agree with LM.
    For an 8 yr old it would be fine. If you get that model , I'd shop around cause you'll probably save yourself $15-$20. image

Analog Rules! Knobs and Switches are cool!
    imageimage
  • Options
    thanks guys!

and LM.....I would like to have that MD of yours but I don't even have enough time to go deer hunting. I have one of my tree stands in my NEIGHBOR'S BACK YARD, less than 300 yards away. It's been 2 years since I have sat my fat ass in it. LOL

I will "Froogle" this MD.

I do know that we are getting him a bb/pellet gun this year too!!!

(you'll shoot your eye out kid)
  • Options

<< <i>I agree with LM.
    For an 8 yr old it would be fine. If you get that model , I'd shop around cause you'll probably save yourself $15-$20. image >>

Good advice.
    I "froogled" it and got it signed sealed and delivered to my door for 52.00.

also got him a bb/pellet gun too.image