Home Metal Detecting
Options

Found a little more silver + wheats

I had to make a two hour run this morning to drop my sister-in-law at the airport, had to be there by 8 am- yawn- late night after watching the Mets win last night. Anyways weather forcast was iffy for today, but decided to bring my detector along for the ride- as I would be passing the park were earlier this summer in August while on a mini vacation I found the 4 silver dimes. I was able to get a few hours of detecting in before the rain caught up with me and one of the first things I found was this ring- not sure if its a man's or woman's- small size, but its marked with a man's name- Joseph and has a Sterling stamp and some other logo I couldn't make out. Its also split ?

imageimage

Thought I might have another multiple silver day, but the place is littered with trash- pulltabs, bottle caps, cans- you name it and its probably there. In one hole from which I was able to pull a penny I got 3 pull tabs as well! Ended up with 7 wheats altogether- 1925, 1934, 1942, (3)1945 and a 1951. Also found an early Queen Elizabeth 2nd penny- a 1953 (and also a 1961). Even managed to pull one nickel out- a 1954-D. And found a parking token, which was kinda neat since I already have some of the same tokens given to me by my father. The meters they were used in were pulled in the early 1970's, so it had been in the ground for a while as well.

I think there has to be more silver there- might have to try and squeeze in another trip this year- it was much more pleasant digging today at the site- in August the temp was in the 90's and the ground as hard as a rock. Most of the remaining coins were from the late 60's or 70's, just a few from the 80's and 90's.

Comments

• Options
    coinnut86coinnut86 Posts: 1,592 ✭✭✭
    Sweet image
  • Options
    cool finds!
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,218 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>...and one of the first things I found was this ring- not sure if its a man's or woman's- small size, but its marked with a man's name- Joseph and has a Sterling stamp and some other logo I couldn't make out. Its also split ? >>

Well, "Joseph" on the ring kinda rules out it being a woman's, eh? Unless it's a surname, like from somebody with the last name Joseph. Or it could be a baby's ring? As to the split in it, it was probably resized at one point and the joint that the jewelers put in later fell out or corroded away when lost, perhaps. It's probably fairly old.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    Nice work!

Analog Rules! Knobs and Switches are cool!
    imageimage
  • Options
    Hello everyone.

First time post.

Haven't got a metal detector yet but love reading your posts.

Kevinstang - I have a few of your Ogdensburg, NY tokens in my coin collection and wondered where in NY are you from? I'm originally from Heuvelton but now live in Texas.

Thanks for the good reads everyone, maybe someday I'll get in on the action/fun.

Craig
  • Options
    kevinstangkevinstang Posts: 1,517 ✭✭✭
    Uh, Craig I am originally from Ogdensburg, but live in Heuvelton? Got any Doug's tokens?
  • Options
    Good ol' Dougs tavern..........................

Sorry Kevin, I spent mine before I left, but you could probably get a few from my Dad - Aubrey.

Well, on second thought he's probably spent most of his too.

You and I have probably drank a few in Dougs together. Probably played some darts as well.

Kinda funny to see someone from home on these boards. Small world I guess.

When I get back up there we'll definitely have to sit back and get a cold one.

Stay warm.

Craig