Home PSA Set Registry Forum
Options

HOF sets composition additions -- Question

Just curious as to why the recent group of Negro League/Black Ball HOF inductees are not included in the appliocable HOF sets.
Admittedly only some have "cards" from during their careers (Willard & Raymond Brown etc.)?
Before I emailed the Registry coordinators I thought I would canvass other HOF set collectors.
My opinion is that they should definitely be included in the applicable HOF sets.
Any thoughts?

Comments

• Options
    UllrUllr Posts: 185 ✭✭✭
    I collect HOF autographed cards. After the induction this summer I emailed PSA and requested Bruce Sutters' addition. I didn't request the 17 Negro League/Black Ball HOF inductees, because many of them do not have cards or known authentic signatures to even produce a "cut" card.

Also they were elected on a separate ballot from the other candidates. This was a one time selection to make up for past injustices. It gives the HOF a chance to present itself with a more compassionate and balanced exhibition.

Judy Johnson, Satchel Paige, Cool Papa Bell, and Hilton Smith all made it in years ago competing evenly with past players, coaches, umpires, executives and pioneers.

In the end, it doesn't really matter. I don't envision anybody completing the set with or without those 17 members. If you want them added to the set composite I won't protest.

This thread was posted about the subject last February.
    collecting '67 & '75 red sox + baseball HOF autographs
  • Options
    NickMNickM Posts: 4,896 ✭✭✭
    The HOF Player card set has been completed without them, but this set permits post-career cards. A few of them do have Cuban cards that would be usable for the HOF Complete set - Frank Evanov is the most complete on that set, at 95.32% currently (although Brian Hodes, who is in 2nd, has a number of readily available players that he's missing - Foxx, Bottomley, Vaughan, Gehrig, Dean, Rice, Appling, Hafey, and Lazzeri all appear in the '33 and '34 Goudey sets, and he would be 1st in completion percentage if he purchased them).

IMO, since they're in the Hall, they should be added to the sets.

Nick
    Reap the whirlwind.

Need to buy something for the wife or girlfriend? Check out Vintage Designer Clothing.