Home Metal Detecting

ENTRY/NOMINATION THREAD: October , 2006 "QUALITY" AWARDS (Best Coin/Jewelry/Relic/Wildcard

Please enter your finds (or nominate somebody else's finds) for this month's five Metal Detecting Forum "Quality" awards:

The five "quality" award categories are:

Best Non-U.S. Coin/Token
Best U.S. Coin/Token
Best Jewelry Item
Best Relic/Other
Best "Wild Card" Find

There is no limit on the number of entries per forum member. If your find seems humble in comparison to some of the others, don't sweat it- we like to see what everybody's found, be it humble or fantastic. Just post your item and a brief story of how you found it, or a link to your thread about the find, if there was one. If you can, post a picture of your item (small to medium-sized pictures of single items, please, rather than large groupings, since the pictures will be used in the poll threads at the end of the month). If you make a neat find and do not post it here, we might miss it later when we put the award polls up, so be sure and post your better finds here even if you already posted your own thread about them. Also, let us know what category you're entering for.

Best Non-U.S. Coin/Token: This includes all world coinage with the exception of US minted coins obviously.

Best U.S. Coin/Token: this category is pretty self-explanatory. Note that it is for detector finds of coins minted in the U.S from 1776 to present - if a coin or token was found in circulation or by eyesight, it belongs in the "Wild Card" category. The award is for single coin finds, though if a cache is found all in the same hole and/or same container at the same time, it may be entered as a single item.

Best Jewelry Item: also pretty straightforward, but if you find coin jewelry, you can choose to put it here or in the Coin category. Also, if you find lost jewelry and return it to its proper owner, you still get to enter it in the competition, even though it wasn't "finders keepers". (See if you can get a picture of it, though).

Best Relic/Other: this category pretty much covers anything found with a detector that isn't a coin or jewelry.

Best "Wild Card" Item: this category is only for finds made without a detector. It may include coins or jewelry, but if you found those with your detector, they go in the categories above. This is for surface "eyeball" finds, circulation coin finds, and pretty much anything else, including nonmetallic finds like arrowheads, bottles, fossils, gemstones, gold nuggets, minerals, natural history specimens, pottery, prehistoric artifacts, and so on. Be sure and mention that the item you are entering is a "Wild Card" find, so we'll know which category to put it in when the polls go up at the end of the month.
Analog Rules! Knobs and Switches are cool!
imageimage

Comments

• LeianaLeiana Posts: 4,349
    I want to nominate this for best relic/other. image

-Amanda

I'm a YN working on a type set!

My Buffalo Nickel Website Home of the Quirky Buffaloes Collection!

Proud member of the CUFYNA
  • here's my entry for best jewelry......10k ring with a nice red stone/glass?....hh

"see ya at the beach"
    imageimageimageimage
  • I thought I'd nominate this 1930 wheat cent that I found in the gravel on a playground on October 7th. It was definitely a recent drop. Probably some kid's show and tell. image

imageimage
    Always on the lookout for a silver opportunity.
    imageimage
  • Derek that's a nice wheatie. Was it an eyeball find or under your coil?
    imageimage
  • It was a detector find. I got a mixed signal in the gravel and after moving the gravel around some I saw the big "ONE CENT" staring back at me. I thought "Wow, what's that doing here?". Judging from the condition, I figured I'd found one from the 50s. I was shocked when I turned it over and saw the date. It's in really nice shape, with full lines in the wheat ears. After pocketing it I swept my coil back over the same spot and received yet another signal and I thought "Hmm, this might not be over." Turned out it was a 1996 cent. I only found $0.39 that day but it was definitely a successful hunt. image
    Always on the lookout for a silver opportunity.
    imageimage
  • kevinstangkevinstang Posts: 1,517 ✭✭✭
    Got this ring for jewelry, not much kinda plain, but it is sterling..

And this parking token:

imageimage

Wildcard find:

1943-P Mercury dime found under the carpet in a 1967 Mercury Cougar parts car.
  • For "Wildcard" entry I nominate WillieBoyd2's world coin assortment here.

imageimage
  • Entry for wildcard.

Eyeballed silver turtle ring

HH,Tom
  • TTT
    imageimage
  • DockwalliperDockwalliper Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭
    I got nothin', best coins were a '48 Wheaty and an SBA dollar. Couple jewelry finds all turned out to be junk. The best was gold plated and most of that was worn off.
  • ZotZot Posts: 825 ✭✭✭
    Non-US coin:
    Zot's holed Swedish 1/4 Skilling, 1809-1830. Found in Finland.

Zot's counterfeit Danish 10 Öre 1897 (aluminum rather than 40% silver). Found in Denmark.

Zot's Danish 16 skilling 1814. Found in Denmark.

Zot's Danish 5 Öre 1874. Found in Denmark.

Relic:

Zot's Vintage lighter – Ronson Whirlwind
    Minelab: GPX 5000, Excalibur II, Explorer SE. White's: MXT, PI Pro
  • I want to submit my 42-S and 36-D halves for best U.S. coin

Thanks,
    Gary Norris
    imageimageimage
  • 1854 w/ arrows seated quarter found on Oct. 24th

fresh from ground:

it's still soaking but this is after some light cleaning:

• BunkerBunker Posts: 3,926
    If it is not to late can I enter this?

My daughter was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes at the age of 2 (2003). My son was diagnosed with Type 1 when he was 17 on December 31, 2009. We were stunned that another child of ours had been diagnosed. Please, if you don't have a favorite charity, consider giving to the JDRF (Juvenile Diabetes Research Foundation)

JDRF Donation
  • lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,194 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Found a nice "pointy rock" (chert arrowhead) around the first of October, on one of my last outings. Need to photograph it so I can enter it in the Wildcard category.

(Edit: photo added below).

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • phutphut Posts: 1,087
    Relic
    Colonial cufflink

US coins
    1909 quarter

1864 2 cent

1808 1 cent

1929 quarter

Non-US
    1776 Ireland half penny

Jewelry
    large thing

Wildcard
    Native artifact(middle rock)

Reproduction Paul Revere bowl sterling 4 1/2 inch
  • lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,194 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wildcard find. My only noteworthy find for October, found on top of a low hill while I was hunting a 19th century homesite.

Also found a semi-cool old municipal bus token in the middle of the month but have no pics. It's from the WW2 boomtime when they built Liberty ships here- we don't have public transit in the city today.

Other than that, it was mostly a bust, with some interesting but not particularly special finds. Of course I didn't go out at all after the night I found the bus token.

Edit: John says this is a bird point. Approx 500-2000 years old.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.