Home Coin Swaps, Tags and Giveaways
Options

Almost Home - Coin Giveaway

Left Afghanistan a day or so ago and am sitting in the airport in Frankfurt Germany. Ran into an American family and kid about 12 - ish who were bored and looking through their change. I engaged them in conversation for a minute and asked the dad if I could give his kid a coin. I explained to him that on every trip I take I always take a "smoother" which is a present I carry and give to someone who helps me, or someone who needs smoothed. Usually I carry Japanese Kokeshi (wooden) dolls, but this trip I carried a 2006 proof American Silver Eagle.

Once in Pax River Maryland I hit a massive snowstorm and showed up at the BOQ on base a day late. I got to the reservations desk and they had given away my room. The gal behind the desk made a decent effort in helping me find a place out in town and I reached in my bag and gave her a Kokeshi doll and told her thanks for the help. She let me get about halfway to the door and said "Wait a minute". Next thing I knew I was in a suite.

So, this is why I always carry something with me.

Back to the story. These guys were bored and just checking change looking for state quarters. Anyway, Dad said okay, so I gave the kid the Silver Eagle. They seemed like it was too much but I told them it was my pleasure to give their young collector a coin, that it wasn't valuable, that I had a bunch of them, etc.

If felt pretty good. Now I hope nobody needs smoothed the rest of the way home.

John
Coin Photos

Never view my other linked pages. They aren't coin related.

Comments

• Options
    JulioJulio Posts: 2,501
    JapanJohn; The world would be a much better place if everyone adopted your philosophy. jws
  • Options
    cheezhedcheezhed Posts: 5,690 ✭✭✭✭✭
    You will be repaid 10 times over.
    Many happy BST transactions
  • Options
    mozeppamozeppa Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭
    a very nice gesture indeed!image
  • Options
    Steve27Steve27 Posts: 13,274 ✭✭✭
    Nice!
    "It's far easier to fight for principles, than to live up to them." Adlai Stevenson
  • Options
    TootawlTootawl Posts: 5,877 ✭✭✭
    You should have called me when you were at Pax River. I live 10 minutes away!
    PCGS Currency: HOF 2013, Best Low Ball Set 2009-2014, 2016, 2018. Appreciation Award 2015, Best Showcase 2018, Numerous others.
  • Options
    mach19mach19 Posts: 4,002 ✭✭
    Fantastic!image
    TIN SOLDIERS & NIXON COMING image
  • Options
    LeianaLeiana Posts: 4,349
    Neat story. image

Thanks for sharing!!

I hope you get home safely!

-Amanda

I'm a YN working on a type set!

My Buffalo Nickel Website Home of the Quirky Buffaloes Collection!

Proud member of the CUFYNA
  • Options
    messydeskmessydesk Posts: 19,705 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Left Afghanistan a day or so ago and am sitting in the airport in Frankfurt Germany. >>

When were you there? I flew into gate C4 this morning at about 10:00, left from A4 at 11:45.
  • Options
    john
    left at 1345 gate b48
    got there at 9 am
    forgive the typing --palm pilot on airplane
    Coin Photos

Never view my other linked pages. They aren't coin related.
  • Options
    michaelmichael Posts: 9,524 ✭✭
  • Options
    123cents123cents Posts: 7,178 ✭✭✭

<< <i>JapanJohn; The world would be a much better place if everyone adopted your philosophy. jws >>

• Options
    WoodenJeffersonWoodenJefferson Posts: 6,491 ✭✭✭✭
    Great story...keep up the philanthrapy (need not be millions to inspire) I once gave my daughters boy friend's son (9) a 1/2 tube of date readable Buffalos...you'd of thought I gave him the moon. The label I afixed gave the nomenclature and mint range, he asked "The nickels used to look like this?" In his eyes you could see the light switch on. Have a safe return trip.
    Chat Board Lingo

"Keep your malarkey filter in good operating order" -Walter Breen
  • Options
    mgoodm3mgoodm3 Posts: 17,497 ✭✭✭
    Nice story.
    coinimaging.com/my photography articles Check out the new macro lens testing section
  • Options
    Great story ,May GOD BLESS you for your kindness, and someone already said it but the world would be alot nicer if there was more people like you,you have a good heart. take care,mOjOmAn

p.simageimageimageimage
    Ebay Seller I.D
    the_northern_trading_company
    ace@airadv.net
    imageimage
  • Options
    TootawlTootawl Posts: 5,877 ✭✭✭
    I wonder why this was moved? It's not about running a give away. It was a story about giving a coin to a kid at an airport.
    PCGS Currency: HOF 2013, Best Low Ball Set 2009-2014, 2016, 2018. Appreciation Award 2015, Best Showcase 2018, Numerous others.
  • Options
    CoinHuskerCoinHusker Posts: 5,030 ✭✭✭
    There was a old man here who used to give out coins to kids at the mall until some parent reported him for stalking kids and was questioned by the police about it.

You did a great thing, just be careful.
    Collecting coins, medals and currency featuring "The Sower"
  • Options
    glad you made it out safe and sound