Home Sports Talk
Options

True or False: Baseball is the greatest game on the planet?

detroitfan2detroitfan2 Posts: 3,314 ✭✭✭✭
Having been to 4 Tiger playoff games in the past 8 days, I was once again struck by the crowd at baseball games. Maybe I'm over-generalizing, but it seems to me if you did a study on the crowds at basketball, football, or hockey games (especially playoffs), a large percentage of the crowds would fall into a certain demographic. Baseball is incredibly different. You see everything from nerds who show up alone (and keep score, not that there's anything wrong with that) to people wearing $1000 worth of clothes to people wearing the same clothes they wore to the 1984 playoffs to people who haven't showered since the 1984 playoffs to little old ladies who for the life of me I cannot figure out how they scaled up to the 34th row to punk rockers to burn outs and everything in between.

That bar scene in "Major League" when the "typical fan" turns to hug the guy next to him, and that guy has spiked hair and a face full of piercings is 100% accurate.

And that is why (besides the fact that it is) I think baseball is the best game there is.

Comments

• Options
    lawnmowermanlawnmowerman Posts: 19,477 ✭✭✭✭
    But the greatest player on the planet played rb for the Dallas Cowboys. So, how can baseball be the best game on the planet? It just doesnt add up image

matt
  • Options
    softparadesoftparade Posts: 9,274 ✭✭✭✭✭
    So where is the poll ? I agree by the way image Congrats to all of Detroit, Michigan, etc .... although football is a close second in my book.

ISO 1978 Topps Baseball in NM-MT High Grade Raw 3, 100, 103, 302, 347, 376, 416, 466, 481, 487, 509, 534, 540, 554, 579, 580, 622, 642, 673, 724__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________ISO 1978 O-Pee-Chee in NM-MT High Grade Raw12, 21, 29, 38, 49, 65, 69, 73, 74, 81, 95, 100, 104, 110, 115, 122, 132, 133, 135, 140, 142, 151, 153, 155, 160, 161, 167, 168, 172, 179, 181, 196, 200, 204, 210, 224, 231, 240

• Options
    detroitfan2detroitfan2 Posts: 3,314 ✭✭✭✭
    <<But the greatest player on the planet played rb for the Dallas Cowboys. So, how can baseball be the best game on the planet? It just doesnt add up

matt >>

Matt, Tony Dorsett was pretty darn good, but the best player on the planet? That's stretching it. He was no Mark Fidrych, that's for sure.

P.S. Softparade, I went to Michigan State, and you expect me to know how to set up a poll?
  • Options
    see i like baseball but as far as going to the games, the excitement at baseball games just dont compare with that of football games...only because of the pace of the game and such, but i find myself unable to blink when im at a football game but sometimes baseball games are just downright boring, not playoffs of course but do you understand where im coming from?
    currently trying to complete these sets! any help is appreciated!!

2003 SPx Football
    2006 Topps Allen and Ginter

Joe Nuxhall cards, graded or raw

Bengals!
  • Options

<< <i><<But the greatest player on the planet played rb for the Dallas Cowboys. So, how can baseball be the best game on the planet? It just doesnt add up

matt >>

Matt, Tony Dorsett was pretty darn good, but the best player on the planet? That's stretching it. He was no Mark Fidrych, that's for sure.

P.S. Softparade, I went to Michigan State, and you expect me to know how to set up a poll? >>

I was talking about Calvin Hill but thats ok image

matt
  • Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,627 ✭✭✭✭✭
    FOOTBALL # 1 in my book. Playoff Baseball a very close second.
  • Options
    I used to like playoff hockey. Do they even play hockey anymore?

matt
  • Options

<< <i>I used to like playoff hockey. Do they even play hockey anymore?

matt >>

Bigger and better than ever! If you haven't watched hockey since before the lockout, you might be in for a pleasant surprise image
  • Options
    BoopottsBoopotts Posts: 6,784 ✭✭
    I think baseball is the best sport. Or, at least in it's best moments it fares better than any other sport in it's best moment. The NFL-- and NCAAF, for that matter- have just become so overblown that I've lost 80% of my interest. I do think it's funny that the CFL is worlds more exciting than that crap the NFL trots out there every Sunday, yet nobody in the States can be bothered to watch it.
  • Options
    AxtellAxtell Posts: 10,037 ✭✭
    Baseball is indeed the best game, but, for the most part, most teams in MLB don't play the game I love. The game has evolved (devolved?) into a homerfest...there used to be strategy, stealing bases used to be a fundamental part of the game. But with the shrinking of the fences and the bulking up of every player, the game is now predicated on home runs.

Back when Rickey Henderson was at his prime, then the Cardinals with vince coleman, the game was infinitely more fun to watch. When Rickey was stealing 100+ bases a year, that was fun.

Baseball is indeed a great game, but what MLB is putting out there isn't my idea of what makes baseball 'great'.
  • Options
    stevekstevek Posts: 27,913 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I watched and played a lot of baseball and football growing up through college. Baseball - little league, Junior A, high school. Football - 7th grade thru 12th grade high school. Football intramurals in college. Played on some softball teams after college. And I watch a lot of baseball and football now. Baseball is a great game - it really is...but for my taste, football is the greatest game.

But I don't dwell on comparing the two. Baseball is my "spring-summer-fall" game, and football is my "fall-winter" game.
  • Options
    sagardsagard Posts: 1,898 ✭✭✭
    If baseball went to an "event" style schedule with one or two games a weekend for 25 weeks it would rival the World Cup for worlds most popular contest.
  • Options
    bighurt2000bighurt2000 Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭
    Poker is the greats sport on the planet FU Bush.
  • Options
    dirtmonkeydirtmonkey Posts: 3,048 ✭✭
    False
  • Options
    dirtmonkeydirtmonkey Posts: 3,048 ✭✭
    False.
  • Options
    WabittwaxWabittwax Posts: 1,984 ✭✭✭
    Nothing compares to a Hockey crowd, hands down. Football crowds are great to. Baseball, it depends what city your in. Sucked in Phoenix when I went but great in Cleveland.

Best sport to watch live: Hockey

Best sport to watch on TV: Football

Funnest sport to play: Football

From my experience anyways.

Baseball is fun to play but there's a whole lot of sitting around and waiting while playing baseball.
  • Options
    1420sports1420sports Posts: 3,473 ✭✭✭
    Nothing compares to a Hockey crowd, hands down

to a hockey fan I guess

hockey .... like many, many people, I don't understand the fascination. I have tried to get into it and see what all the fuss is about, but failed.
    collecting various PSA and SGC cards
  • Options
    Baseball - sporadic action. Much of the time it is pitcher and catcher throwing the ball back and forth. In a laid back stadium atmosphere it is OK. Quite dull to watch on TV.

Hockey - a lot of fast paced energy put forth but very little scoring to show for all the effort.

Football - the best sport for TV with a number of options available for advancing the ball with each
    play. The most exciting 2 minutes in sports? A football team needing a touchdown to win in the 4th quarter with 2 minutes to go and starting on their own 5 yard line and no time outs left.
  • Options
    TheGuyTheGuy Posts: 68 ✭✭
    I have to say that's true, because baseball is really a spactucular sport. image
    "Sometimes we don't know just what to do when adversity takes over." -- Cannonball Adderley
  • Options
    AkbarCloneAkbarClone Posts: 2,476 ✭✭✭
    I sway towards football as the greatest game--but NCAA Tournament "March Madness" basketball is right up there as well.
    I collect Vintage Cards, Commemorative Sets, and way too many vintage and modern player collections in Baseball (180 players), Football (175 players), and Basketball (87 players). Also have a Dallas Cowboy team collection.
  • Options

<< <i>The most exciting 2 minutes in sports? A football team needing a touchdown to win in the 4th quarter with 2 minutes to go and starting on their own 5 yard line and no time outs left. >>

Always exciting, but the most exciting 2 minutes in sports is the Kentucky Derby every time image.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>The most exciting 2 minutes in sports? A football team needing a touchdown to win in the 4th quarter with 2 minutes to go and starting on their own 5 yard line and no time outs left. >>

Always exciting, but the most exciting 2 minutes in sports is the Kentucky Derby every time image. >>

Thats an old cliche but I don't buy it. With the announcer talking a mile a minute and one horse hard
    to tell from another horse when they are usually grouped together I find it more confusing than exciting.

Secretariat at the Belmont in 1973 was not even close but seeing that horse pull out so far in front of
    the pack now that was amazing and exciting how it kept extending its lead.
  • Options
    I'm going to have to say true, especially when the Tigers are putting together a 7 game winning streak in the post season. It's true the rest of the time, but lately its really, really true!
  • Options

<< <i>Thats an old cliche but I don't buy it. With the announcer talking a mile a minute and one horse hard >>

Have a bet down on the Derby, and if your horse if in contention by the top of the stretch I guarantee you will be screaming your head off like there is no tomorrow. If your horse wins, it's nirvana image.