Home PSA Set Registry Forum

Can anyone help me with Tom Downey player card weights?

Hi, I was told that I might be able to get help here with my modest PSA graded Tom Downey player set. The situation is that all of the cards in the sets are from 1903-1915. I am familiar with how most of these sets look but I would not be able to assign weights properly to each of the cards for the PSA registry. I am not familiar enough with these sets to determine which cards are either more valuable or rarer than any of the other ones. Please help me assign a weighting from 1-10 for each card according to it's value, rarity or some other reason. Also, if anyone has any PSA graded cards from this list for sale - Let me know. Please PM me or email me at nbdowney@msn.com with a weighted list. Thank you for your time, Neil

1 1903 1903-11 Sporting Life Cabinets 106
2 1909 1909-11 Colgan's Chips Stars of the Diamond E254 84
3 1909-11 White Border Batting T206 106
4 1909-11 White Border Fielding T206 107
5 1910 1910-11 Sporting Life M116 189
6 1910 1910-19 Coupon Cigarettes Type 2 T213 127
7 1910 Old Mill T210 23
8 1910 Sweet Caporal "Domino" Discs 37
9 1910 Sweet Caporal Tobacco Pins 97A
10 1910 Sweet Caporal Tobacco Pins 97B
11 1910 Turkey Red Cabinets T3 91
12 1911 Helmar Stamps 143
13 1911 Mecca Double Folders T201 17
14 1911 Pinkerton T5 410
15 1911 S74 Silks 74
16 1911 Gold Border T205 45
17 1912 Colgan's Red Border 84
18 1912 T207 Brown Background 50
19 1913 Colgans Tin Tops 84
20 1914 Cracker Jack 107
21 1914 Piedmont Stamps T330-2 34
22 1915 Cracker Jack 107
23 1915 Victory T214 8

Comments

• jradke4jradke4 Posts: 3,573 ✭✭✭
    From my understanding is that weights are based on value not how rare the card is. For older cards this might go hand in hand. Go ahead and weight them as you see fit. When you submit that to the Set Registry Ladies, they will go over what you did and change as they see fit. That seems to be the case with the cards that I add to the Favre Master set. They dont send emails out to people asking their opinions.

Hope this helps.
    Packers Fan for Life
    Collecting:
    Brett Favre Master Set
    Favre Ticket Stubs
    Favre TD Reciever Autos
    Football HOF Player/etc. Auto Set
    Football HOF Rc's
  • Neil,
    You might want to first make sure that PSA grades all those. Do they even grade Silks? That may narrow your list and shorten the set a bit too.
    RayB
    Never met a Vintage card I didn't like!
  • qualitycardsqualitycards Posts: 2,811 ✭✭✭
    Neil - Not sure why you would need grade weights.
    Just the listing of all his graded cards in the registry should be fine,
    as I don't think that you'll have too much competition.
    Your working on his cards due to a similar last name
    not sure why anyone else would attack this set when you have
    other mainline players of this era like Cobb, Matty, Johnson, Speaker,
    Lajoie etc... Or someone else may want to be the lone Nap Rucker collector
    or Dode Paskert or Wild Bill Donovan and so on...jay
  • If this isn't a perfect case for why there is a Collector's Showcase, I don't know what is.
    Looking for 1975, 1978, and 1979 Topps Baseball in high end PSA 9 and PSA 10.
  • Hi Guys, I recently suggested this player set to Cosetta. She indicated that if I provided some weights for the cards, it might speed up the process of getting it posted on the registry. I choose to do this player set because Tom Downey is a distant relative on my father's side of the family. I have been looking for a pre-war set to work on but could not find one that was within my budget or one that I had any kind of connection to. Anyone can collect hundreds of cards of players that they have never seen play, have any connection to or even care about whatsoever. Are there any relatives of the aforementioned Cobb, Matty, Johnson, Speaker or Lajoie on these boards? I suspect not. However, there is a relative of Tom Downey on these boards so that is who I choose to collect. I have always tried to collect cards of players that I was passionate about. I love the 1956 Topps set due to the player content and that I do remember seeing many of these great players in the middle or twilight of their careers. I have equal passion and pride in collecting Tom Downey cards. It doesn't really matter if PSA grades all of them or if anyone else thinks that it makes financial sense to collect this player. I hope that someday I own all of the cards on the list so I can hand them down to my two sons to take pride in and enjoy. That's what important to me. Neil
  • qualitycardsqualitycards Posts: 2,811 ✭✭✭
    No one made fun of your attempt or tried to prevent you from
    collecting what you want. I just stated that grade weights are
    no big deal and apparently you had a problem with that, at least
    based on your "tone" of this post and your PM to me...jay
  • jradke4jradke4 Posts: 3,573 ✭✭✭
    Neil,

Look at some of the similar sets. Compare their weights to prices. Then do the same for your set. Probably keep in mind that these wont be the most expensive cards in the set and wont demand a high weight. PM me if you need some help. Also, check to see how they are weighted in the set registry for each set. As some of these should already have weights.

A set registry set would be the best to start with. You can get all the cards up for people to look at. Keep in mind that you can only include cards that PSA grades. Check to see which they do and dont. You will also have to have 5 of the cards in the set already graded to have the set opened.

Jay
    Packers Fan for Life
    Collecting:
    Brett Favre Master Set
    Favre Ticket Stubs
    Favre TD Reciever Autos
    Football HOF Player/etc. Auto Set
    Football HOF Rc's
  • Hi jradke4, Thanks for the ideas and your offer to help. I'll be sure to get back to you in a day or two. Once I get in (and pay for) a PSA 4 T3 Turkey Red Downey card - I'll have 5 graded cards from the set. I also have a PSA 3 double folder, a PSA 3 T206 Fielding, a PSA 2 T206 Batting and a PSA 2 T205 gold border card. Like I said, a modest set but still fun to work on. Neil