Home Metal Detecting
Options

Check out my Sovereign mods.

Since I have been swinging the Sovereign, I have wanted to modify the all-metal/discrimination switch so it was on the detector shaft.
Instead of always keeping my left hand on the switch of my hipmount, I can now switch it at will with my detector hand.

I considered adding the switch to my stock "S" shaft, but decided to make a new straight shaft with the switch on the handle.
I looked at factory straight shafts but was turned off at the thought of spending around $100 for one.
I saw someone post an "S" shaped shaft they made from 3/4" PVC pipe on another site and decided to give it a try but use the straight shaft configuration.

First I bought a 3/4 pvc pipe and cut it to length for my lower rod. I then drilled a hole straight through the very end where my coil would connect. I had to file down the end so it would fit between the coil mounts.

I then made the handle with a "T" fitting and end cap and installed the discriminator/all-metal switch.

I connected the handle to the lower shaft and added the upper rod.
I then took a 4" coupler fitting and cut it in half to make a forearm cuff and mounted it to the upper rod.
I added another end cap to the upper rod to finish it off.

I soldered and installed an 1/8" jack to the all-metal switch in my control housing and added a plug end to the shaft switch.
I used it for a few hours and was very happy with it and decided to use it full time.
Here it is with added pad for the handle and my S-1 probe installed.

It cost a whopping $11 to make and it works like a charm!

HH

GR
Analog Rules! Knobs and Switches are cool!
imageimage

Comments