Home Sports Talk
Options

Miami vs. FIU

kcballboykcballboy Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭
What a joke. Suspensions are a waste of time. Everyone involved should be banned from the NCAA. There's no room for thugs like that in any sport.
Travis

Comments

• Options
    I didn't see the fight live image From what I heard, FIU started the fight and Miami finished it... GT should destroy these fools in a couple of weeks.

Coker: At least eight Canes to be suspended for brawl
    ESPN.com news services

CORAL GABLES, Fla. -- At least eight Miami players will be suspended for their role in a sideline-clearing brawl against Florida International, the latest on-field incident to plague the Hurricanes' program.

"I don't have many bad days. This is a bad day."
    -- Larry Coker

The fight -- "disgraceful," Miami coach Larry Coker called it -- came during Miami's 35-0 win Saturday night over FIU, which is based 9 miles from the Hurricanes' campus in Coral Gables.

It was the first meeting between the teams.

Coker said the five players ejected in the fight -- offensive linemen Derrick Morse and Chris Barney, running back Charlie Jones, and cornerbacks Carlos Armour and Bruce Johnson -- were ejected from the game, drawing automatic suspensions.

After reviewing tape of the incident, Coker decided to levy suspensions against safeties Anthony Reddick and Brandon Meriweather and H-back James Bryant.

The lengths of the suspensions have not been determined. More suspensions are possible, Coker said.

"I don't have many bad days," Coker said Sunday. "This is a bad day."

Miami was involved in a postgame altercation at last year's Peach Bowl against LSU and a pregame incident at Louisville this season.

"We've got a strong grip on this program," Coker said, "although this is obviously a setback."

Coker was asked why he felt the incident took place. He began his remarks by saying FIU is a cross-town rival and that "you've got players on their team who wanted to be here."

Coker said it all began when an FIU player shoved and taunted a Miami player in pregame warmups.

"When it got away," Coker said, "was when they slam-dunked our holder -- grabbed him, lifted him up and threw him to the ground."

Miami director of athletics Paul Dee said the school is waiting to review a complete video of the incident.

Dee has spoken with ACC commissioner John Swofford and Miami president Donna Shalala. He said that discipline will be a joint action with the conference.

Coker added that he did not have a full grasp of the incident from the field Saturday and had a different perspective after watching television replays.

The fight marred what was supposed to be the beginning of a friendly rivalry between two schools with players who grew up battling each other on high school fields in South Florida.

There were many instances of heated words being exchanged from the game's opening minutes, especially after FIU's Chandler Williams -- one of the eight Golden Panthers who'd later be ejected -- dived helmet-first at prone Miami defender Kenny Phillips following a first-quarter interception.

But later, unsportsmanlike turned into unruly -- or worse.

Bryant pointed at the FIU bench and bowed to the crowd after catching a touchdown pass with 9 minutes left in the third quarter -- which earned his suspension, Coker said.

"He needs to get the message," Coker said.

After the Miami extra point put the Hurricanes up 14-0, pushing and shoving broke out among linemen. Moments later, FIU's Chris Smith wrestled Miami holder Matt Perrelli to the ground and punched him in the chin.

With that, the fracas was on.

"It was totally started by FIU," Miami linebacker Jon Beason said Saturday night.

FIU's Marshall McDuffie Jr. kicked Perrelli in the helmet. Morse jumped onto the Smith-Perrelli pile, FIU's Lionel Singleton followed and tried to punch the Hurricanes' Calais Campbell -- and benches began to empty.

"You've got to back up each other," said Miami quarterback Kyle Wright, who acknowledged he grabbed his helmet and went on the field, but it did not appear he was involved in any altercations. "You're not just going to sit out there and let guys get beat up."

Several players appeared to throw punches, including Miami's Bryant, DajLeon Farr and Ryan Hill, and Meriweather was seen attempting to stomp on FIU players. At least two FIU players were seen throwing punches on the far side of the field, and another swung a crutch menacingly.

Meanwhile, Reddick charged across the field, helmet raised high over his head, and slammed it into FIU cornerback Robert Mitchell.

"It was disgraceful. I'm very disappointed," Coker said. "It will be dealt with."

Florida International's ejected players were Williams, Singleton, Smith, McDuffie Jr., fullback John Ellis, linebacker Mannie Wellington, tight end Samuel Smith and defensive end Jarvis Penerton.

Officials from both universities issued public apologies after the game.

"I can promise you," FIU coach Don Strock said, "that this will never happen again."

It's the third on-field incident involving the Hurricanes in their last seven games.

Several Miami players fought with LSU players following the Tigers' 40-3 win in the Peach Bowl, a brawl that quickly escalated into an out-of-control melee in the tunnel leading from the field.

And shortly before the Miami-Louisville game on Sept. 16, virtually the entire Hurricanes' roster jumped on the Cardinals logo at midfield -- an act that was widely viewed as a taunting gesture. Afterward, several Miami players chided teammates for their involvement in that incident.

Information from The Associated Press and ESPN college football reporter Joe Schad was used in this report.

Link to article with video
  • Options
    and here I am thinking that most Cane fans are FIU Students!
    Real recognize REAL
  • Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,543 ✭✭✭✭✭
    and here I am thinking that most Cane fans are FIU Students!

and here we are thinking that you'd crawl up & disappear after welching on a bet. but no, like most FSU fans, you have no shame! loser!

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    ConnecticoinConnecticoin Posts: 12,584 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Miami is a disgrace. After they screwed the Big East, nothing makes me happier than to see Miami fall on their face, and the Big East now has 2 top 10 teams.
  • Options
    SDSportsFanSDSportsFan Posts: 5,095 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Both teams should have their seasons cancelled after that debacleimageimage

Steve
  • Options
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1JWeE9KqZjQ

listen to the stupid announcer. WTF is he thinking.
  • Options
    kcballboykcballboy Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭
    Never heard the announcer before. Fire his as$ too.
    Travis
  • Options
    Even the announcer is a thug, lmfao
  • Options
    Gangstas and thugs. Would you really expect differently?
  • Options
    Lamar Thomas, former Hurricane, is the announcer you hear there. I'm sure he is just the voice for the vast majority of Miami football alumni that applauded their team's actions on the field Sat night.
  • Options
    IrishMikeIrishMike Posts: 7,738 ✭✭✭
    This is exactly the reason ND refused to sign another contract with them. You recruit thugs you end up with thugs, no amount of football coaching will change that.
  • Options
    stownstown Posts: 11,321 ✭✭✭
    Lamar Thomas, the thug announcer, may lose job.

Link
    So basically my kid won't be able to go to college, but at least I'll have a set where the three most expensive cards are of a player I despise ~ CDsNuts
  • Options
    BoopottsBoopotts Posts: 6,784 ✭✭
    My only disappointment stems from the fact that FIU didn't kick their asses up and down the field. In any case it was a great fight.
  • Options
    Lamar Thomas, the thug announcer, fired :

Ha Ha!
    So basically my kid won't be able to go to college, but at least I'll have a set where the three most expensive cards are of a player I despise ~ CDsNuts
  • Options
    AxtellAxtell Posts: 10,037 ✭✭

<< <i>Lamar Thomas, the thug announcer, fired :

Ha Ha! >>

I guess when your life is a shambles, you take joy in people losing their jobs.

• Options

<< <i>

<< <i>Lamar Thomas, the thug announcer, fired :

Ha Ha! >>

I guess when your life is a shambles, you take joy in people losing their jobs. >>

Did you even listen to what he said, Tinkerbell?

He deserved to get fired and I'm glad he did.

One more thing...

• Options
    And you must not have read my post - you must lead a miserable life to take joy in someone losing their job.
  • Options
    12,017 posts of stupidity and counting from the racist hypocrite....what a clown!

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options

<< <i>12,017 posts of stupidity and counting from the racist hypocrite....what a clown! >>

Call me a racist again and we're going to have an issue...and I will go to mods and have you stopped.
  • Options

<< <i>Call me a racist again and we're going to have an issue...and I will go to mods and have you stopped. >>

• Options
    and I will go to mods and have you stopped.

haha the tattletale's feelings are hurt, what a coward punk. make sure you tell the mods about your insulting God in your sigline, too, racist punk.

• Options
    My sigline violates no rules or policies.

You calling me a 'racist' over and over does.

And I have no problem in telling YOU first that I am going to the mods on it.

• Options

<< <i>My only disappointment stems from the fact that FIU didn't kick their asses up and down the field. In any case it was a great fight. >>

Ya theres no way that would happen Miami has far better athletes on their team.
  • Options

<< <i>My sigline violates no rules or policies.

You calling me a 'racist' over and over does.

And I have no problem in telling YOU first that I am going to the mods on it. >>

Make sure you tell them what you call people over and over, hypocrite.
  • Options
    Oh stownie, you're so sensitive!

This coming from someone who repeatedly 'insults' me by calling me tinkerbell and has me permanently in his sig line?

You're pathetic.
  • Options

Hypocrite.

• Options
    clown-

TO still haunting your dreams hmm? That why you're so pissy?

THREE touchdowns! You'd figure they'd put some coverage on him after one, let alone 2 TDs.
  • Options
  • Options
    Thought so.

Texans going to compete with the raiders for #1 overall pick!
  • Options

Houston teams suck, I drive a mini-cooper, I play D&D, you suck...

• Options

<< <i>image

Houston teams suck, I drive a mini-cooper, I play D&D, you suck...

image >>

2 out of 3 ain't bad...too bad Carr isn't that good (by the way, never played D&D at all...sorry to break your heart...and no, I won't learn how to play so you'll have someone to play with).

• Options
    I love this response. Don't even read what he says and I can guarantee it's appropriate image

• Options
    Well when you have nothing left to say, and your canned responses 'ok tinkerbell' and 'pot, meet kettle' have been worn out, all you have left are mindless emoticon responses.

• Options
    Glad to hear you condone and encourage acts of violence.

Dope.

• Options

<< <i>Glad to hear you condone and encourage acts of violence.

Dope.

image >>

Really? Please tell me where I did EITHER of those things?

I was simply stating that YOUR life must be an absolute shambles for you to take glee in someone losing their job. Oh wait, your life IS in shambles!

Moron.
  • Options
    Well let's see....

You said I was wrong for being glad that he got fired.

Therefore, you take his side and condone his actions and what he said.

Therefore, you not only support but encourage violence. You support and encourage feet stomping into people faces. You support and encourage football players to use their helmets as a leathal weapon.

Shame on you. You are a very, very bad person.
  • Options

<< <i>Well let's see....

You said I was wrong for being glad that he got fired. >>

Yes. Taking joy in another's misfortunes indicates your own life is in shambles. Much the same reason why the jerry springer show is so popular - anything that lets people say 'my life sucks, but damn, at least I'm not THAT guy' is going to be popular. Oh wait, springer's a favorite of yours, too?

<< <i>Therefore, you take his side and condone his actions and what he said. >>

Absolutely not, you mindless idiot. Nice try at logic, but you FAILED miserably (hell, what else is new?)

<< <i>Therefore, you not only support but encourage violence. You support and encourage feet stomping into people faces. You support and encourage football players to use their helmets as a leathal weapon. >>

Wrong again. What I do encourage is the proper spelling of the word 'lethal', but as far as encouraging what happened on the field, nope. Not at all.

<< <i>Shame on you. You are a very, very bad person. >>

/sigh

You really need to get a life...what, did your inflatable 'girlfriend' break from overuse?
  • Options

Looks like you put some effort into that one...

Too bad I didn't read one word, again.

• Options
    Sure you didn't read a word.

Just because I don't derive pleasure from someone's firing doesn't mean I agree with what they did, moron.

• Options
    Back on topic, seems some players are seeing more than one game:

Miami extends Reddick's suspension; FIU dismisses 2

Link

" Sophomore safety Anthony Reddick was suspended indefinitely following further consultation Monday with the Atlantic Coast Conference, the school said. Reddick charged across the field, helmet raised over his head, and slammed it into an opposing player during the melee.

Meanwhile, the Golden Panthers took a much harsher stance -- dismissing two players, Chris Smith and Marshall McDuffie Jr., and extending the suspensions of all other 16 sanctioned players indefinitely."

I don't see Coker being able to keep his job after this year...3 fights in a year, and the program isn't winning.

• Options
    IrishMikeIrishMike Posts: 7,738 ✭✭✭
    It was reported this morning by ESPN that Lamarr Thomas was fired by CCCS. He was the announcer, Miami Grad that wanted to go down on the field. Another Miami grad distinguishes himself or is that extinguishes himself. Until Miami quits recruiting kids solely based on atheletic talent regardless of their character and regardless of whether or not they are college kids this will continue. Miami is the poster child for only winning matters at a University.
  • Options
    BoopottsBoopotts Posts: 6,784 ✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>My only disappointment stems from the fact that FIU didn't kick their asses up and down the field. In any case it was a great fight. >>

Ya theres no way that would happen Miami has far better athletes on their team. >>

You're 100% correct. But a man can still dream...