Home Metal Detecting
Options

Can someone ID this?

My wife and I just moved into a new house (new to us anyway) that was built in 1897. My son was metal detecting today and found this. It measures aprox 1" tall by 3/4" wide.

You can't read it in the picture that I am providing but it looks like it says "CRATIA DEI SERVATUS" and there are also some roman numerals at the bottom.

On the back I found an 1888...not sure if that is a date or not.

Thank you in advance for your help.

Rick

My daughter was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes at the age of 2 (2003). My son was diagnosed with Type 1 when he was 17 on December 31, 2009. We were stunned that another child of ours had been diagnosed. Please, if you don't have a favorite charity, consider giving to the JDRF (Juvenile Diabetes Research Foundation)

JDRF Donation

Comments

• Options
    bigtime36bigtime36 Posts: 961 ✭✭✭✭
    I think its an officers badge from Hungry or croatia...

Collect raw morgans, walkers, mercs, SLQ, barber q. Looking at getting into earlier date coins pre 1900s.

• Options
    Cool Find !!!

Question:

Would a overnight soak in Denture Cleaner clean it up ??
  • Options
    ZotZot Posts: 825 ✭✭✭
    Look here image

Btw, it's GRATIA DEI SERVATUS
    Minelab: GPX 5000, Excalibur II, Explorer SE. White's: MXT, PI Pro
  • Options
    now thats a cool find!
    "see ya at the beach"
    imageimageimageimage
  • Options

<< <i>Cool Find !!! Question: Would a overnight soak in Denture Cleaner clean it up ?? >>

Good job Mr. Z image

Jerry
    CROCK of COINS
    imageimage
  • Options
    LeianaLeiana Posts: 4,349

<< <i>Look here image

Btw, it's GRATIA DEI SERVATUS >>

That's pretty awesome.

-Amanda

I'm a YN working on a type set!

My Buffalo Nickel Website Home of the Quirky Buffaloes Collection!

Proud member of the CUFYNA
  • Options
    That's a really sweet find!

Let's hope there is some nice old coinage buried there! Keep us posted.
    Analog Rules! Knobs and Switches are cool!
    imageimage
  • Options
    If you look at the picture I found on Ebay, it shows that this medal had a ribbon at the top that connected to be worn....

Link

Collect raw morgans, walkers, mercs, SLQ, barber q. Looking at getting into earlier date coins pre 1900s.

• Options
    BunkerBunker Posts: 3,926
    Thank you for all the responses. I am going to see if I can find the "top" that was attached to the ribbon. That link had a lot of great information image

My daughter was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes at the age of 2 (2003). My son was diagnosed with Type 1 when he was 17 on December 31, 2009. We were stunned that another child of ours had been diagnosed. Please, if you don't have a favorite charity, consider giving to the JDRF (Juvenile Diabetes Research Foundation)

JDRF Donation
  • Options
    What you've got is the suspension medallion, or "drop," from a badge issued by the Sons of Union Veterans of the Civil War. Originally, it was suspended from a red, white & blue striped ribbon with a pin-back hanger bar at the top. Founded in 1881 (note the Roman numeral date on the badge) as an affiliated order of the Grand Army of the Republic, the SUVCW remains active today. In case you're wondering about the motto on the obverse, Gratia Dei Servatus, it's Latin for "Preserved [or Kept] by the Grace of God"; and on the reverse, Filii Veteranorum, "Sons of Veterans." Thumb through a few catalogs or click around the internet and you'll see the same badge, with ribbon, priced at $20+; but one trip to a Civil War collectors' show, and you'll know that's more than a tad too high. The medallion alone? Half the real-world value of the badge- or less.

• Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,218 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Very cool find- good work on the ID, Zot! image

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.