Home PCGS Set Registry Forum
Options

Question concerning the weights of Registry dates

Are the "weights" given to dates in the PCGS Set Registry ever changed?

Buyer and seller of vintage coin boards!

Comments

• Options
    badgerbadger Posts: 1,217 ✭✭✭
    I've never seen a change. Although, some of us have lobbied for increasing weights on pre-war cameo Lincs and Jeffs.

Badger
    Collector of Modern Silver Proofs 1950-1964 -- PCGS Registry as Elite Cameo

Link to 1950 - 1964 Proof Registry Set
    1938 - 1964 Proof Jeffersons w/ Varieties
  • Options
    ShamikaShamika Posts: 18,760 ✭✭✭✭
    Thank you Badger. I too don't understand how some of these dates are weighted. This is were NGC has done a far better job.

It seems to me coins should be weighted based on some typical sale price. Thus the most difficult coins to get (which sell for the highest prices) are weighted the highest.
  • Options
    DMWJRDMWJR Posts: 5,975 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hi guys!

I too would love to see the pre-war cameos increase by a point. It has been about three or four years and very few have been made. Those of us like David have searched and searched for cameos from this era, and they are extremely rare. Of course this issue is not really about weights, but bonus points.

Where I have seen some movement in WEIGHTS is where "new" sets are created. For instance if you compare the relative weights of some coins in the 09-58 set with the same dates in the 09-present or the "complete" set, you will see that the weight distribution changes. I think PCGS has used this mechanism to make some adjustments.

For instance, check the following comparision:

09-58 basic set: 4 points
    09-present basic set: 5 points
    complete set: 5 points

1914-d
    09-58 basic set: 10 points
    09-present basic set: 10 points
    complete set: 9 points

1914-s
    09-58 basic set: 8 points
    09-present basic set: 9 points
    complete set: 9 points

Now if you look at the weight distribution of the group of 14-p/d/s among the sets, you get this

09-58 - p=4, d=10, s=8
    09-pres - p=5, d=10, s=9
    complete - p=5, d=9, s=9

The difference in weight between 14p and 14d is six points in the 09-58 set, and only 4 points in the complete set.

While the keys stay relatively the same, the dates in the 40's and 50's increase from 1 point to 2 points. When the points are that low, it results in a 50% increase in weight while the 14-p increased by 20%, the 14-d dropped 10%, and the 14-s increased 12%.

Make sense, or am I just nuts????

EDITED FOR BRAIN CRAMP!

Doug
  • Options
    Another thing, coins should be weighted with the specific grade in mind. Some coins are very common in one grade and then very rare in higher grades. The rarer grade should be weighted far more than the common grade of the same issue. And if this means adjustments are to be made from time to time, so be it.

• Options
    LeeGLeeG Posts: 12,162

<< <i>Another thing, coins should be weighted with the specific grade in mind. Some coins are very common in one grade and then very rare in higher grades. The rarer grade should be weighted far more than the common grade of the same issue. And if this means adjustments are to be made from time to time, so be it. >>

Makes sense to meimage
  • Options
    DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭

Looks to me like you guys are collecting points and are not true coin collectors.image
  • Options
    leothelyonleothelyon Posts: 8,367 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Another thing, coins should be weighted with the specific grade in mind. Some coins are very common in one grade and then very rare in higher grades. The rarer grade should be weighted far more than the common grade of the same issue. And if this means adjustments are to be made from time to time, so be it. >>

Not that I really care about registry points but adding extra points to an uncommon date serves no real purpose. Does the highest rated registry set need to show a dramatic increase in points over another set to make it appear as the better set of coins? If 76% of a series is common and available to most collectors than most will have those coins in their sets. The next 20% will not exist in everyone's collection and so those who have them, certainly their sets will rate higher in completion regardless of how many extra points are given for those dates. And the last rare 4% will say it all for those collections who have them. Furthermore, not all of the highest quality coins in strike and grade reside in the highest numbered slabs. And believe me, if you will, this is a much more larger problem than worrying about points. image

Leo

The more qualities observed in a coin, the more desirable that coin becomes!

My Jefferson Nickel Collection

• Options
    DMWJRDMWJR Posts: 5,975 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Looks to me like you guys are collecting points and are not true coin collectors.image >>

Pardon us, please. Some of us enjoy fooling around with the numbers in between coin purchases, shows, and trips to shops. If you don't like the math, don't knock those of us who do.

I don't even think Shamika has his set registered.

Doug
  • Options

<< <i>I don't even think Shamika has his set registered. >>

I don't nor do I ever plan on registering it. But I do enjoy following the Registry.

• Options

<< <i>Furthermore, not all of the highest quality coins in strike and grade reside in the highest numbered slabs. >>

VERY TRUE! I virtually ignore the grade on the slab. If I don't like the coin, I'll pass irregardless of the price and stated grade.

• Options
    badgerbadger Posts: 1,217 ✭✭✭
    Giving a higher delta for a cameo on prewar proofs will do one thing for sure -- start new searches for prewar cameos.

Badger
    Collector of Modern Silver Proofs 1950-1964 -- PCGS Registry as Elite Cameo

Link to 1950 - 1964 Proof Registry Set
    1938 - 1964 Proof Jeffersons w/ Varieties