Home Buy, Sell & Trade - Cards & Memorabilia
Options

1980 Empire Strikes Back

What happened to the ESB thread?

Anyway, Here is a rack pack that arrived today. It is case fresh. I'll be having PSA grade this one more than likely.

My sets:
1977 Topps Star Wars - "Space Swashbucklers"

Comments

• Options
    Colle, is it the scanner or are the borders on those cards two-toned silver and black? I've never seen these before. The picture quality is really pretty good.

Arthur
  • Options
    ArchaninatorArchaninator Posts: 822 ✭✭✭
  • Options
    BarfvaderBarfvader Posts: 2,859 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Colle, is it the scanner or are the borders on those cards two-toned silver and black? I've never seen these before. The picture quality is really pretty good.

Arthur >>

Arthur,

I'm looking at some now from my childhood collection and I would describe the colors from series one and two as whitish to silver and gray to black. In other words some cards look more white to gray and others look more silver to black. And as for series three, well I think the scan should clearly show the border color.

Series One

Series Two

Series Three

• Options
    I am going through 24 series one rack packs that I bought. The "Space Painting" cards are really cool to look at! I suppose he is the artist for the "Lord Darth Vader" card #196 from the oringinal Star Wars set.
    My sets:
  • Options

<< <i>Series 3 wax / rack boxes >>

I can't say that I have ever seen series 3 rack packs. In fact, is series 3 more scarce than 1 and 2? It seems like you don't see them as much. I just picked up two unopened series 3 wax boxes.

-Scott
    My sets:
  • Options
    In my opinion, the key to this entire set is the Boba Fett Rookie card (#11). I pulled 14 out of my series 1 rack pack breaks. Here are the top three examples:

In addition, I pulled this fett charicature card from my series 3 box break.

-Scott
    My sets:
  • Options
    It's amazing that the ones I have are even in half way decent condition. These were bought in the year of issue from rack packs and then basically thrown into boxes (Not card boxes but regular boxes full of all kinds of stuff) that were forgotten about until about ten years ago.

Excuse the pinkish backgroundimage as I am trying out different colors to see how they show off any damage to the cards.

• Options
    Barfvader:

That top left Fett card looks pretty nice. You kept your cards in nice shape. Are you planning on working on a registry of this set?

-Scott
    My sets:
  • Options
    I scan my cards with the top open, for some reason it gives them a black background.
    My sets:
  • Options

<< <i>Barfvader:

That top left Fett card looks pretty nice. You kept your cards in nice shape. Are you planning on working on a registry of this set?

-Scott >>

Scott,

To be honest I have very few graded cards and they are only ones that I have picked up on eBay and on here.

And they are in fairly good shape considering how they were stored. Of this series I have 2 near sets and maybe a couple hundred or so extras. Condition is roughly like the scans with some better or worse.

Jeff
  • Options
    Who else besides Jon and David are putting together a registry set of this series?
    My sets:
  • Options
  • Options
    captfischcaptfisch Posts: 115 ✭✭✭
    Just waiting for the $5 special to submit a batch of these to upgrade some cards. Also thinking about submitting my Raiders of the Lost Ark, The Black Hole and Tron cards. Good luck to all.

Captfisch
  • Options
    Trying to remember the movie, but wasn't Admiral Ozzel the one Vader choked through the com link. On the card you have pictured, he's standing over his body. Is that a Topps mistake or am I remembering wrong?
  • Options
    I just opened close to 60 series one rack packs, three series 3 wax boxes, and about 10 series 2 rack packs. I have several cards that will have multiple 10s. Unfortunately, I cannot afford to spend $1500 on grading a complete set. So .. what I am going to do is build the best raw set that I can make with the cards I have. I will then submit the choice remaining cards for grading and then sell them. Again, there will be 10s and strong 9s to come out of these. I don't plan on submitting every card that will grade a 9, so if you have any specific cards that you would be interested in, let me know.

-Scott

Blackborder:
    Good call. That is an error on Topps' part.

David:
    I would be interested in some of your doubles, do you have a list.

Jon:
    I thought about doing the Raiders of the Lost ark set. I just bought 5 wax boxes of them. I think I'll wait on opening them until I am done with ANH and ESB and maybe ROTJ.

My sets:
  • Options
  • Options
    48 06562399 1980 STAR WARS 11 BOBA FETT EMPIRE STRIKES BACK 10

All right!

Scott
    My sets:
  • Options
    Arrived in the mail today from PSA.

My sets:
  • Options
    All of the Yodas (#9) that I am getting have a ink smudge across his eyebrows. Is anybody else seeing this?
    My sets:
  • Options
    Hey Scott, if you're getting a shipment of ESB cards back and have doubles of 9's or 10's, let me know and maybe we can work out some trades, I'm about to send in a batch of ESB Series I and III.

captfisch
  • Options
  • Options
    Capt.

Send me a list of cards you are interested in. I am submitting a few of the of the "Star File" cards (Vader, Yoda, etc.) as well as some of the other high profile cards. If you have any specific cards, let me know as I have several submittable cards that I probably won't get around to submitting this time around.

I also have some nice raw Indy cards that I am sitting on for whenever I start my registry set of that series. Some of the cards I have are gradeable in that line, send me a list if interested.

Scott
    My sets:
  • Options

<< <i>All of the Yodas (#9) that I am getting have a ink smudge across his eyebrows. Is anybody else seeing this? >>

Just checked mine (I have 5) and they all have that.
  • Options
    I am not sure, but it is possible the that the ink smear across Yoda's eyebrows kept this one from being a 10. I hope it is possible to get the Yoda card in a 10.

71 06577378 1980 STAR WARS 9 YODA EMPIRE STRIKES BACK 9

-Scott
    My sets:
  • Options
    The Yoda ROOKIE arrived today from PSA. Here is a large scan to show the ink smear across the eyebrows that we have been mentioning. I'd like to hear from anyone who has a smearless Yoda.

-Scott

My sets:
  • Options
    Howdy all, got the grades back for the first ESB submission, just series 1. Series 3 should come in the next batch. Here are the grades:

604847, zip 85641

Let me know which doubles you have and maybe we can work some trades out. If a card got 2 10's, then I'll have an extra for trade. Compare to my set registry or send a list of available trades to captfisch@yahoo.com. I'm looking for 9's and 10's.

captfisch
  • Options
    BlackborderBlackborder Posts: 2,797
    Will PSA grade the "card" at the top of the rack pack?
  • Options
    No love for ESB?

-Scott
    My sets:
  • Options
    gregmo32gregmo32 Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭
    I just can't get in to them. It was by far the best of the films, but by the time it came out I was still trying to complete orange sets from the 1977 set to go with my dozens of complete series one through four sets.

I thought I can't do this again! But of course I did end up buying tons of these until Pac Man, Centipede and Galaga (not to mention the revolutionary, world changing invention - the Big Gulp) took all of extra spending money.
    I am buying and trading for RC's of Wilt Chamberlain, George Mikan, Bill Russell, Oscar Robertson, Jerry West, and Bob Cousy!
    Don't waste your time and fees listing on ebay before getting in touch me by PM or at gregmo32@aol.com !
  • Options
  • Options
    Greg, the ESB set is fun, but I do prefer the orginal set. I have a really nice raw set of series 1 and 3 focusing on clarity and color quality. I haven't ripped into my series 2 stuff much. I have 6 unopened rak boxes of series 2. I have another 2 unopened rak boxes of series 1. I am saving those for some other year.

David, I still need a good copy of Dengar #274. Do you have a clear, crisp, non-miscut sample? I haven't been pleased with any of my candidates. Also, have you gotten a 10 on the Yoda rookie yet, has one recieved a 10 yet?

-scott
    My sets:
  • Options
  • Options
    drewsefdrewsef Posts: 1,894 ✭✭
    What is a fair price for a Boba Fett in PSA 9 or 10? Also, was Yoda not in the 1977 Star Wars cards? Is that why it is considered his rookie card as referenced earlier in this thread?

I'm a Star Wars fan and would really like to have the important cards in PSA 9 or 10 from this set, what other cards would you guys collecting the set say should be included if you are not looking to collect the whole set or just have a nice raw set(not sure what those run either) and the key cards graded?

Any and all help is appreciated, you guys have alot of great information here and in the other long Star Wars thread, thanks.
  • Options
    gregmo32gregmo32 Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭
    That is correct. Since Yoda did not appear in "Episode Four," his first appearance on a Topps card was the 1980 ESB single...
    I am buying and trading for RC's of Wilt Chamberlain, George Mikan, Bill Russell, Oscar Robertson, Jerry West, and Bob Cousy!
    Don't waste your time and fees listing on ebay before getting in touch me by PM or at gregmo32@aol.com !
  • Options