Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

What's the deal with 2004 Mint Sets selling so high?

Higher than the Proof Sets and Silver Proof sets. Were some low mintage figures released or something?

I first noticed what APMEX was asking, then a check on ebay revealed they're pushing $60. What gives?

Comments

• Options
    cladkingcladking Posts: 28,333 ✭✭✭✭✭
    They were pulled from sale early and unexpectedly. Many potential buyers were left
    in the lurch and have had to turn to the secondary market. In time the price should
    come into line with the mintage
    Tempus fugit.
  • Options
    BochimanBochiman Posts: 25,293 ✭✭✭✭✭
    They've come down a little. Right after they were pulled, and the XMas season was right around the corner (and cheap bast**ds that wanted to combine more items that were coming out and not pay an additional $4.95 shipping), they hit in the $70s. I know. I sold a couple (bought 4-5).

As Cladking mentions they were pulled early. I don't have the redbook handy, but I believe it was around 8xx,xxx minted. Pretty low for a recent set.

I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment

• Options
    Hmm. Almost makes me want a set now.
  • Options
    I sold 15 sets last year at $75 each. I couldn't believe people were willing to pay that much, especially for such a recent set. I don't think twice about dumping what I'm holding when that happens. My only hesitation was on whether or not to keep one for myself.
  • Options
    So did you, dexter?
  • Options
    TavernTreasuresTavernTreasures Posts: 1,262 ✭✭✭
    I remember when the 1968S proof sets came out.
    Advanced collector of BREWERIANA. Early beer advertising (beer cans, tap knobs, foam scrapers, trays, tin signs, lithos, paper, etc)....My first love...U.S. COINS!
  • Options
    Little or no Supply Plus High Demand = Big Bucks---Ben Bernanke
  • Options
    It's also because they have the new Jeff Nickels (peace medal and keelboat).
    image Scottish Fold Gold
  • Options

<< <i>It's also because they have the new Jeff Nickels (peace medal and keelboat). >>

Good reason why the price is higher.....
    ......Larry........image
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>It's also because they have the new Jeff Nickels (peace medal and keelboat). >>

Good reason why the price is higher..... >>

ok.... that accounts for an extra ten cents
    Luck happens when preparation meets opportunity.
  • Options
    cladkingcladking Posts: 28,333 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>

Good reason why the price is higher..... >>

ok.... that accounts for an extra ten cents >>

It's true that wholesale on these is low but a lot of collectors tire of looking
    for choice specimens of the handshake version and start looking in mint sets.

This one can be a little tougher without a lot of marking and with a nice strike.
    Mint set coins aren't always nice but finding gems is like shooting fish in a bar-
    rel compared to finding them otherwise.
    Tempus fugit.
  • Options
    aficionadoaficionado Posts: 2,309 ✭✭✭

Anybody know how many were issued?

• Options

<< <i>So did you, dexter? >>

Yep. I kept a few actually.
  • Options
    Hopefully the prices will settle down in line with the rest of the current issues. The mint will be selling off the rest of the stock the have stored since they were pulled early in Dec 2004.
    Luck happens when preparation meets opportunity.
  • Options
    Wow this is an old thread. I thought you might be getting your Mint Sets mixed up with your Proof Sets but then I noticed in that other thread the list and inclusion of the 2004 Mint Sets, which I over looked the first time because of my fractional Buffalo tunnel vision.

Because you usually hear it here first, buy a bunch of those 2004 Mint Sets then immediately flip them on ebay before the word gets out to the masses they are even available again. Not gross bucks but I bet a quick and easy profit can be had by doing this.
  • Options
    The 2003 Nickel roll set might also be a winner for that. I was getting $40/set on eBay a while ago (cost $8.95) because they were the last of the regular Jeffersons. The 2004 Peace Medal set was going for closer to $80 (again, cost $8.95).

Current prices are a bit lower, $23 for the 2003 (Mint Product ID 2U1) and $34 for the 2004 Peace Medal (Mint Product ID 2U8)
    I'd keep playing. I don't think the heavy stuff will be coming down for quite a while!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file