Home U.S. Coin Forum

Lincoln 2003 MS70 DISAPPOINTMENT

Got my coin today. What a disappointment!!!!, I order an "INTERCEPT DOUBLE PROTECTION SLAB" on eBay to protect the coin but I got the coin first. By the way the coin is...

PERFECT!!!! Under 10X. I had never seen Lincoln details like this!!!!!!
To answer some questions;

1-"Is that faint milk spot by Lincoln's nose on the coin or on the holder?"
NONE of the above

2-"I DID catch what looks like that spotting above 'ONE CENT' on the reverse"
You did not!!! No spotting!!!!

3-"It really does look like a spot in front of lincoln's nose..... "
Wrong again

4-"There also appears to be a tick mark on the lower side of the "O" on the "ONE CENT". I guess an MS70 no longer has to be perfect."
Also wrong

5-"Hmmh, interesting! I wonder what it'll flip for in a year or so?"
NOT FOR SALE

Keith

Comments

• Weather11amWeather11am Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭
    Cool!
  • airplanenutairplanenut Posts: 21,907 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have a question!

How much is a 2003 MS69 cent?
    JK Coin Photography - eBay Consignments | High Quality Photos | LOW Prices | 20% of Consignment Proceeds Go to Pancreatic Cancer Research
  • compromonedascompromonedas Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭
    Face value. Just go to your bank.
    Keith
  • BlindedByEgoBlindedByEgo Posts: 10,754 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Why does it say "disappointment" in your title?
  • 19Lyds19Lyds Posts: 26,472 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I have a question!

How much is a 2003 MS69 cent? >>

It doesn't really matter now does it?

The real question is: How many more MS70 Lincolns will PCGS grade in the future?
    I decided to change calling the bathroom the John and renamed it the Jim. I feel so much better saying I went to the Jim this morning.

The name is LEE!
  • Aegis3Aegis3 Posts: 2,896 ✭✭✭
    Just remember, David Hall has stated in a recent Coin World interview that he expects the supply of coins to be graded will run out in about 20 years. You better sell, or at least hope the coin turns in the holder, (much) before then.
    --

Ed. S.

(EJS)
  • RegistryCoinRegistryCoin Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭✭
    Keith. It is very good to hear that you are completely satisfied with your coin and that it provides you much enjoyment... Congratulations! image
  • BarryBarry Posts: 10,100 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Why does it say "disappointment" in your title? >>

Because he knows he's going to be taking a bath soon?
  • zennyzenny Posts: 1,549
    I certainly hope you plan on changing your icon........
  • airplanenutairplanenut Posts: 21,907 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Just remember, David Hall has stated in a recent Coin World interview that he expects the supply of coins to be graded will run out in about 20 years. You better sell, or at least hope the coin turns in the holder, (much) before then. >>

I doubt it... the services have graded less than 50 million coins in the last 20 years... there are what, like 700 billion more 2003 cents still ungraded? Then they move to 2004 cents.
    JK Coin Photography - eBay Consignments | High Quality Photos | LOW Prices | 20% of Consignment Proceeds Go to Pancreatic Cancer Research
  • 19Lyds19Lyds Posts: 26,472 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

Because he knows he's going to be taking a bath soon? >>

NOT! Its because all the nay sayers will be disappointed that the coin is in fact perfect. No spots, no ticks, no nuthin!

If I had that kind of money and I was a Lincoln collector, I would have bid!
    I decided to change calling the bathroom the John and renamed it the Jim. I feel so much better saying I went to the Jim this morning.

The name is LEE!
  • TavernTreasuresTavernTreasures Posts: 1,262 ✭✭✭
    How much did you pay for that penny?
    Advanced collector of BREWERIANA. Early beer advertising (beer cans, tap knobs, foam scrapers, trays, tin signs, lithos, paper, etc)....My first love...U.S. COINS!
  • pontiacinfpontiacinf Posts: 8,915 ✭✭

<< <i>

Because he knows he's going to be taking a bath soon? >>

trans atlantic swim would be more like it image

Go BIG or GO HOME. ©Bill
  • I'll give you $20,000 for it...
    The Accumulator - Dark Lloyd of the Sith

• sinin1sinin1 Posts: 7,500
    congratulations on your purchase

since you have seen the light and now collect moderns,

please enter me in your generous giveaway of your icon coinimage
  • RichieURichRichieURich Posts: 8,371 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm glad you're happy with it, it would be terrible to spend that much on a coin and not be happy with it.

An authorized PCGS dealer, and a contributor to the Red Book.

• << <i>How much did you pay for that penny? >>

$13,500
    Bill

09/07/2006
  • tmot99tmot99 Posts: 5,238 ✭✭✭
    I would have bid and I'm not a Lincoln collector. My bid would only have been for 5 cents, but hey....
  • cladkingcladking Posts: 28,330 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It must be incredible to look at a coin made for circulation and not see any marking.

I'm sure you'll get your monay's worth in enjoyment whether you profit at its sale or not.
    Tempus fugit.
  • JRoccoJRocco Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I am happy for you. Personally- I am not a registry hoe so a nice 69 would do me fine if I were putting together a set of graded (Why???) moderns cents.
    BUT- if you spent your money on what you want.. then Hey-good for you...
    Some coins are just plain "Interesting"
  • Yeah, if you like it and feel its worth it, then I'm happy for you.
  • SwampboySwampboy Posts: 12,880 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Congratulations!!
    Please don't hesitate to show us any pictures you take of your historic Win.
  • IGWTIGWT Posts: 4,975
    Congratulations! It's always a relief when a coin is in hand and expectations are met. I'd love to see a real picture of the coin, and I bet that Paul and/or Mark would oblige.
  • MyqqyMyqqy Posts: 9,777
    I am happy for you. Personally- I am not a registry hoe so a nice 69 would do me fine

My style is impetuous, my defense is impregnable !

<< <i>I am happy for you. Personally- I am not a registry hoe so a nice 69 would do me fine...

image >>

Ah, but there was more to it...

<< <i> ...if I were putting together a set of graded (Why???) moderns cents. >>

And herein lies the part thjat says everything. If you're collecting real high grade coins then
    that's OK but if you're collecting modern crap then it's still crap.
    Tempus fugit.

• << <i>

<< <i>How much did you pay for that penny? >>

$13,500 >>

Thats a lot less than I thought it would go for -
  • RussRuss Posts: 48,515 ✭✭✭
    << How much did you pay for that penny? >>

$13,500 >>

Thats a lot less than I thought it would go for - >>

Ditto. Regardless of what the modern bashers think, he got a rip relative to what he could sell it for in a Heritage Signature sale in the current market.

Russ, NCNE
  • I'll bet a few collectors were sitting around in 1930 jawjacking about the guy that paid too much for a modern crap 1926-S Red cent in a paultry visual 66 grade!!
  • I'm glad there was no disappointment Keith.

David
  • AZLARRYAZLARRY Posts: 1,189 ✭✭
    I'm glad you are happy with the coin. Many people on this board, as I did, thought it would go for more that what I did. Congratulations.

<< <i>

<< <i>I am happy for you. Personally- I am not a registry hoe so a nice 69 would do me fine...

image >>

Ah, but there was more to it...

<< <i> ...if I were putting together a set of graded (Why???) moderns cents. >>

And herein lies the part thjat says everything. If you're collecting real high grade coins then
    that's OK but if you're collecting modern crap then it's still crap. >>

It wasn't a "modern crap" slam cladking (have I ever done that ???)
    I would feel the same if there were so many potential coins, in any series, that could be graded 1 point (on a 70 scale) lower and sell for a substantial amount less. I would not pay moon money for a 67 Morgan if there were potentially thousand upon thousands of 66 Morgans that most would not waste their time or money to even keep let alone slab. I know you know what I mean.
  • I'd rather spend 13 grand on a roll of $20 Libs but coin collecting is subjective.

<< <i><< How much did you pay for that penny? >>

$13,500 >>

Thats a lot less than I thought it would go for - >>

Ditto. Regardless of what the modern bashers think, he got a rip relative to what he could sell it for in a Heritage Signature sale in the current market.

Russ, NCNE >>

IMHO --- "The Current Market" must be insane.
    Advanced collector of BREWERIANA. Early beer advertising (beer cans, tap knobs, foam scrapers, trays, tin signs, lithos, paper, etc)....My first love...U.S. COINS!
  • Congrats and enjoy your new coin image
  • ShamikaShamika Posts: 18,760 ✭✭✭✭

I wonder how much the coin will be worth once the copper plating starts blistering. And it WILL happen.

Buyer and seller of vintage coin boards!
    "Ditto. Regardless of what the modern bashers think, he got a rip relative to what he could sell it for in a Heritage Signature sale in the current market."
    I will never do that! image
    Who is Bob Marino?image

Keith
  • TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,832 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's better than that Cheerios Sacagawea I got
    .... at least the buyer has a coin worthy of PCGS plastic.
    and he got it for a lot better price than I expected, even though my conservative high guess was 12 grand.

congrats Keith, that condition rarity still surprises folks.

Joe

<< <i>I wonder how much the coin will be worth once the copper plating starts blistering. And it WILL happen. >>

I've always believed that this was caused primarily by the cumulative effects of moisture
    causing the underlying zinc to rust in the presence of air. This would seem to only be poss-
    ible if there are failures in the plating. It would seem that on this example there are no
    breaks or damage to the plating.

There are a great number of zincolns that are corroded or rusting away but even among the
    worst dates ('84-D), there are many that are pristine and are clean enough that they can re-
    main that way for many, many, decades.
    Tempus fugit.
    I agree with cladking on this. Once there is a "break" in the surface, say from a bubble opening up, the coin is going downhill from there. If the surface stays intact, the coin should be fine in the slab.
  • dpooledpoole Posts: 5,940 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That coin must be glorious to behold. What a delight, to find it was a pristine as anticipated! Congrats!
  • BochimanBochiman Posts: 25,293 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Let me add congratulations to you.
    As long as you have the money, enjoy what you are getting/doing, and having fun, don't worry about the others.
    Some are pretty pessimistic lately and it appears the glass is always half (or more) empty for them.

Currently, there are no peers to this coin, so enjoy.

Could another one be made? Sure. Is it likely? I doubt it, honestly.

Ps.....also enter me in the giveaway of that icon coin of yours now that you are a modern lincoln person image

I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment

• MacCrimmonMacCrimmon Posts: 7,053 ✭✭✭

<< <i>That coin must be glorious to behold. What a delight, to find it was a pristine as anticipated! Congrats! >>

I'm not a "Modern" guy, but somehow the sheer number of Jealous JawJackers ™ herein never ceases to amaze me.

Allow me to toast what potentially could be the first Memorial non-DD/Error type cent to surpass $100k....at least someday.image
    "congratulations on your purchase

since you have seen the light and now collect moderns,

please enter me in your generous giveaway of your icon coin"

Sorry i dont own my icon coin, but i will giveaway a 31-s.
    keith
  • Keith -

The real question is...do you have the "juevos" to drop that coin with PCGS the next time you are at a show so they can take it home with them to TrueView it? Then, we could all see what a beauty this coin REALLY is. My guess is that they would do it for free if you asked image

What do you think?

T
  • krankykranky Posts: 8,709 ✭✭✭
    I'm glad you are enjoying your coin.

I also think it would be great to see TrueView photos of it.

New collectors, please educate yourself before spending money on coins; there are people who believe that using numismatic knowledge to rip the naïve is what this hobby is all about.

• Steve27Steve27 Posts: 13,274 ✭✭✭
    Forget TrueView, just ask shylock to image it.
    "It's far easier to fight for principles, than to live up to them." Adlai Stevenson
  • ColonialCoinUnionColonialCoinUnion Posts: 10,087 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Regardless of what the modern bashers think, he got a rip relative to what he could sell it for in a Heritage Signature sale in the current market.

Russ, NCNE >>

I think he might triple up in a matter of months.
    Are we gambling, playing the stock market, speculating or coin collecting?
  • BunkerBunker Posts: 3,926
    Congrat's on your coin! I am very happy that you got the coin and are not disappointed. I personally think you got a good rip on that coin and I don’t think that PCGS will grade another one anytime in the near future.

My daughter was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes at the age of 2 (2003). My son was diagnosed with Type 1 when he was 17 on December 31, 2009. We were stunned that another child of ours had been diagnosed. Please, if you don't have a favorite charity, consider giving to the JDRF (Juvenile Diabetes Research Foundation)

JDRF Donation
  • ColonialCoinUnionColonialCoinUnion Posts: 10,087 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Are we gambling, playing the stock market, speculating or coin collecting? >>

Exactly.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file