Home Metal Detecting
Options

Found 7 and 1/2 cents last night...

I haven't had much time to post lately (been kinda burnt out too). But, last night a friend of mine got me out for a night hunt after the kids were in bed, and...

Found 7 1/2 cents:
(actually a little more in clad and a wheat back, but this was the money I enjoyed finding the most)

Anyone have a token book that covers Oregon?... here's what I can read off the front:
Rohde & ___
24_
Burns_
St.
Portland
ORE

Hope everyone is able to start getting out more in those "hot summer" states... looking forward to seeing all those colonial finds!

HH,

Rick

Comments

• Options
    I'm sure that "Burns_" stands for Burnside Ave. It's a major throroughfare in Portland that was one of the main avenues in Portland prior to the 1970's when it became rather seedy.
    Bob
  • Options
    Try to see if you can get/borrow a copy of the Edkins cataloges. Usually they cover coal and lumber scrip. However, I would do some research on that as it may be quite a ifnd. 2 and 1/2 s not a common denomination even in the token world.
  • Options
    kevinstangkevinstang Posts: 1,517 ✭✭✭
    GREAT find in that token. V nickel looks good too.
  • Options
    Nice job and very cool token!
    I lust for silver.
    imageimageimageimage
  • Options
    Nice digs
  • Options
    Thanks for the replies everyone.

I see Bob is from OR (thanks for the local insight... I guess detectorists don't frequent that area due to health reasons!)

Mark, aka Whitby, thanks for the info. I've never heard of that reference. I may need to take a trip to the library. I've heard of another book (by Kapan?) but maybe that is just for CA tokens.

Kevin- 1st old coin of the night was the token... the Vnickel was a bonus!

Steve, aka SD, thanks... sorry I couldn't provide you with some silver from that hunt (definitely pulled some silver sounding targets though).

IHM, I know you're a token fan and when I posted it I figured you'd like this one.

Well, I hear LodiTom (LT) has a token library, I'll need to see if he can track this one down and reply...

HH everyone,

Rick
  • Options
    Hey Ric I'm hereimagejust saw your post.Was gone over the weekend to S..F. visiting my Gramdmother and Aunt and also picking up my new SE.

Well that is a cool token findimageAs for the token library all I got is 2 book's from Album on California token's no other state's.
    If you go to the California forum PM Oldfresno he can help,he's the one with the token library and would be able to help you out there.

Sorry I couldn't help Ric.
    HH,Tom
  • Options
    Thanks Tom. Hadn't seen you in awhile. Glad you're here.

I'll PM oldfresno and let you know if he tracks it down...

Thanks again,

Rick image
  • Options
    Nice token Rick!
    I love the shape of it.

Analog Rules! Knobs and Switches are cool!
    imageimage
  • Options
    Thanks John. image

I received word back on this one:

<<The token says: RHODE & RUPERT / 248 / BURNSIDE / ST. / PORTLAND / ORE.
    The token is listed as a 3 on a scale of 1 to 7, so it is fairly common with a value of about $8 to $15.>>

The spelling of "RHODE" is different on my token so I've asked about that. Also, I'm curious how old it is.
    Hopefully I'll have more info soon...
  • Options
    Hey, I'll trade you the 7 1/2 cents I usually find for the 7 1/2 cents you found. image That's a cool token and the v-nickel is great too. I've been trying to land one of those for awhile. Congrats. image
    Always on the lookout for a silver opportunity.
    imageimage