Home U.S. Coin Forum

The 1878 7tf R-79 VAM-200* mentioned in VAMview #5.

In the article "1878 7tf R79 Attribution Shortcuts" by Mark Witkower. Does anyone know what the clashing around the mouth looks like ? There's no photo in the article of the VAM-200*(not yet named), but I have this VAM-200 with clashes around the mouth. Should there be any letter transfer ?
Something else which I found interesting on this coin was the broken S in Trust.
Wayne

Comments

• CoxeCoxe Posts: 11,139
    Hmmm. I blew right past that article in VV. Interesting. You might ask Mark Kimpton about that coin as he is generally well infomed on new clash discoveries, even the ones he doesn't discover. I do not recall anyone discussing it on this forum. Thanks for bringing it up.
    Select Rarities -- DMPLs and VAMs
    NSDR - Life Member
    SSDC - Life Member
    ANA - Pay As I Go Member
  • RVDavisRVDavis Posts: 1,137
    Wayne:

That's pretty standard clashing around the lips. I personally think it is very interesting. The line coming from Liberty's neck is pretty common. Look for an image below that line; it might be a half circle, a line, any number of lines. Also look for letter transfer in the last vee of the hair.

Nice coin.

Rick
    Proud recipient of YOU SUCK more than once and less than 100 times.
  • wam98wam98 Posts: 2,685
    No other clashing found. Only around the mouth and a line at the neck. image
    Wayne

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file