Home Sports Talk
Options

The A's-Tigers Thread

Now that the mighty Bengals have disposed of that team of pretenders from the Bronx (sorry men, but I just couldn't resist) it's time to watch some REAL baseball. So, before the first pitch on Tuesday, put your predictions in! I'm going with Tigers in 7, although obviously this could go either way. In any case, I think we're in for some fantastic baseball.

Comments

• Options
    AxtellAxtell Posts: 10,037 ✭✭
    I hope so...unlike the yankees who just rolled over and played dead in 3 straight games, I think the A's will have some fight in them.

I just worry that the tigers don't develop the whole 'we're-just-happy-to-be-here' mentality that seems to strike a lot of teams who get further in the playoffs than they were expected to. That tigers' pitching is fantastic, but the A's staff is solid too. I give the nod to Detroit as their closing situation is more solid - Street for Oakland has a tendency to have really bad outings.
  • Options
    ctsoxfanctsoxfan Posts: 6,246 ✭✭
    Two great pitching staffs, balanced teams all around, should be a good series.

Something about the A's though - I like them in 6.
  • Options
    As shown in the first series, the Tigers pitching staff is second to none. The bullpen is awesome, and we had two great starts from two "lesser than average" pitchers who should have "choked!" It is going to be a great series, and I sure hope I will not have to hear Joe Morgan talking as if the Yankees "cannot be beaten!!!" He will still go on about how they had the "best" line up ever!!!!

My pick, Tigers in 6!!
  • Options
    I'm pulling for the A's to win(I'm a Frank Thomas fan); but that Detroit pitching(starters, relievers...the whole group) has some true flamethrowers as well as one of best catchers in the game to throw to. Tigers in 6.
    Collecting;
    Mark Mulder rookies
    Chipper Jones rookies
    Orlando Cabrera rookies
    Lawrence Taylor
    Sam Huff
    Lavar Arrington
    NY Giants
    NY Yankees
    NJ Nets
    NJ Devils
    1950s-1960s Topps NY Giants Team cards

Looking for Topps rookies as well.

References:
    GregM13
    VintageJeff
  • Options
    detroitfan2detroitfan2 Posts: 3,314 ✭✭✭✭
    Man, it's so hard to know what to expect. The Tigers have been a model of inconsistency the last few weeks. The starters were pretty dominant in the ALDS, but couldn't do anything against Toronto and Kansas City the week before. Same with the hitting in some respects.

I think a few "breaks" one way or the other will make the difference.

I've felt since the beginning of the playoffs that Oakland was the most underrated team. They didn't get the respect they deserved, when in fact they've been the AL's best team since August 1st.

Not sure what the statistics show, but having games 6 and 7 at home seems like such a huge advantage. Obviously I want the Tigers to win very badly. Both teams have a great deal of momentum, although I'm a bit concerned about a sub-conscious "letdown" from both the fans and the team after beating the Yankees. They won't intend to take the A's lightly, but I can tell you the sense around the Detroit area during the last week of the season was that the Tigers playing Oakland (and having the homefield) would be "easy" (at least when compared to playing the Yankees). I'm hoping they still don't feel that way.
  • Options
    I bet the A's to win the WS in April (along with 2 losers (angels and braves) image ) so the A's are now my boys...
  • Options
    A's in 5, hard to stop a freight train rolling along at 90 MPH
  • Options
    I'm gonna be pullin' for the A's. They're a small market team that seems to make all the right moves and I'd like to see them rewarded with a Series apperance. Also, I love the Frank Thomas comeback story, even though he got a ring for being w/ the ChiSox last year, he really didn't contribute due to injuries. Would be cool if his White Sox team mates were home watchin' TV while Frank wins again!
  • Options
    ziggy29ziggy29 Posts: 18,668 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I'm gonna be pullin' for the A's. They're a small market team that seems to make all the right moves and I'd like to see them rewarded with a Series apperance. Also, I love the Frank Thomas comeback story, even though he got a ring for being w/ the ChiSox last year, he really didn't contribute due to injuries. Would be cool if his White Sox team mates were home watchin' TV while Frank wins again! >>

Yeah, I pretty much agree with all of that. Still, I don't think I can go wrong.

On one hand, there's Oakland, that perennial exception-to-the-rule about "small market" teams and lack of success, a franchise that manages to put a winner on the field every year despite a rather low payroll. They've got a bunch of scrappy young kids, a great young pitching staff and what's not to like about the Frank Thomas story after the Chisox dumped him like last night's garbage? This is a fun team to watch. They just play the game the right way.

And then there's the Tigers. Three years ago, they had to go on an amazing hot streak in the last week of the year to avoid losing more games than the 1962 Mets. They were *thisclose* to being the worst team in modern baseball history in terms of wins and losses. The way the front office has engineered this turnaround is simply a blueprint for resurrecting a franchise and rebuilding a team. After some free agent signings after '03 and '04, I thought the Tigers were a couple of years away from being a winning team...but I didn't expect this much this soon.

I suspect I'll root for whichever team wins this series to go all the way. These are just a couple of good stories, better than we can find, IMO, from the Cardinals (always in there) and the Mets (large market payroll and expected to be here).
  • Options

<< <i>I'm gonna be pullin' for the A's. They're a small market team that seems to make all the right moves and I'd like to see them rewarded with a Series apperance. Also, I love the Frank Thomas comeback story, even though he got a ring for being w/ the ChiSox last year, he really didn't contribute due to injuries. Would be cool if his White Sox team mates were home watchin' TV while Frank wins again! >>

Exactly!
    Collecting;
    Mark Mulder rookies
    Chipper Jones rookies
    Orlando Cabrera rookies
    Lawrence Taylor
    Sam Huff
    Lavar Arrington
    NY Giants
    NY Yankees
    NJ Nets
    NJ Devils
    1950s-1960s Topps NY Giants Team cards

Looking for Topps rookies as well.

References:
    GregM13
    VintageJeff
  • Options
    ArnyVeeArnyVee Posts: 4,246
    I'm going with Detroit in 5.
    * '72 BASEBALL #15 100%
    * C. PASCUAL BASIC #3
    * T. PEREZ BASIC #4 100%
    * L. TIANT BASIC #1
    * DRYSDALE BASIC #4 100%
    * MAGIC MASTER #4/BASIC #3
    * PALMEIRO MASTER/BASIC #1
    * '65 DISNEYLAND #2
    * '78 ELVIS PRESLEY #6
    * '78 THREE'S COMPANY #1

WaltDisneyBoards
  • Options
    BoopottsBoopotts Posts: 6,784 ✭✭

<< <i>I'm going with Detroit in 5. >>

Looking good, Arny! Two down and two to go. Would the real Curtis Granderson please report to the Detroit Tigers? If someone has Fox Moulder's phone number please PM me, as I'd like him to look into a possible alien abduction of the Tigs beloved leadoff hitter and strikeout master. This is NOT the same guy who was hitting in the 1 hole for the Bengals all summer.

Things are looking grim down by the bay, boys. Very grim. No doubt the A's can win 4 of 5, but it's going to be a tough row to hoe with the Tigers pitching being as it is.
  • Options
    <<Would the real Curtis Granderson please report to the Detroit Tigers? If someone has Fox Moulder's phone number please PM me, as I'd like him to look into a possible alien abduction of the Tigs beloved leadoff hitter and strikeout master. This is NOT the same guy who was hitting in the 1 hole for the Bengals all summer.>>

You ain't lyin'! After he went deep late in the game, after I finished jumping up and down, in the back of my mind I was thinking "please don't let us find out you're on the juice". That's how much his game (and power) have improved.

Gotta love those broadcasters too. I'd rather listen to fingernails on a chalkboad than Lou Pinella's voice. And is it really that hard to pronounce "Monroe"? How about "Grilli"? It has the word "grill" in it for cryin' out loud. It's not spelled "Greeli".

Go Tigers!
  • Options

<< <i><<Would the real Curtis Granderson please report to the Detroit Tigers? If someone has Fox Moulder's phone number please PM me, as I'd like him to look into a possible alien abduction of the Tigs beloved leadoff hitter and strikeout master. This is NOT the same guy who was hitting in the 1 hole for the Bengals all summer.>>

You ain't lyin'! After he went deep late in the game, after I finished jumping up and down, in the back of my mind I was thinking "please don't let us find out you're on the juice". That's how much his game (and power) have improved.

Gotta love those broadcasters too. I'd rather listen to fingernails on a chalkboad than Lou Pinella's voice. And is it really that hard to pronounce "Monroe"? How about "Grilli"? It has the word "grill" in it for cryin' out loud. It's not spelled "Greeli".

Go Tigers! >>

Couldn't agree more. I'm sure glad that Craig MONroe is on the Tigers!
  • Options
    WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    The Tigers are for real. The bottom 3 in the lineup can flat out play.

I expect them to be playing well into October.

Congrats to them. More proof that a team can go from the celler to the penthouse in a few years in the current state of baseball.

Steve
    Good for you.
  • Options

<< <i>The Tigers are for real. The bottom 3 in the lineup can flat out play. >>

Well when you have the best record all year, I'd suspect you'd finally realize they are 'for real'.

<< <i>I expect them to be playing well into October. >>

Hmm it's already October 12th...great insight.

<< <i>Congrats to them. More proof that a team can go from the celler to the penthouse in a few years in the current state of baseball. >>

And when their young pitching come up for free agency, expect a bidding war and them unable to resign with Detroit.

I love that they are playing so well...they looked so bad against KC the last week, I was afraid they had peaked too soon...looks like they are going to crush whoever they play.

• Options
    actually they did not have the best record all year.

more proof that you are a dope.

edited to add:

sorry boo that axtell felt the need to come on this thread and poison it.

to clarify my original statement since it went over his head.

by saying that they will be playing well into october my meaning was they would be going to the WS. Had I said that they would be playing till the middle of October...........well I'm sure those that know how to read and comprehend what people say had no problem. So yes I felt that it was insightful, regardless how the resident dope took it.

edited yet again:

so i do not add post to post with him. Ill clarify and hopefully answer his question.

Yes it may be poison also. (you remm that word? a l s o ?
    however, YOU not I came to this thread and attempted to ridicule ME. The thread was clean until you had to wet your panties and reply directly to me.

Steve
    Good for you.
  • Options
    softparadesoftparade Posts: 9,274 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Tigers are playing like they did in April/May/June/July. They definately do have that team of destiny feel about them.

ISO 1978 Topps Baseball in NM-MT High Grade Raw 3, 100, 103, 302, 347, 376, 416, 466, 481, 487, 509, 534, 540, 554, 579, 580, 622, 642, 673, 724__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________ISO 1978 O-Pee-Chee in NM-MT High Grade Raw12, 21, 29, 38, 49, 65, 69, 73, 74, 81, 95, 100, 104, 110, 115, 122, 132, 133, 135, 140, 142, 151, 153, 155, 160, 161, 167, 168, 172, 179, 181, 196, 200, 204, 210, 224, 231, 240

• Options

<< <i>actually they did not have the best record all year.

more proof that you are a dope. >>

Yet this isn't poison?

Tigers are on fire, pitching better than anyone in the postseason. They remind me a lot of the way the white sox pitchers came in and just dominated last year.

• Options
    Plus, they're finding a way to win despite the fact their manager decided it would be a good idea to bat Neifi Perez second in the lineup. You have to be either super talented or a team of destiny when you have an automatic out in the 2 spot.
  • Options

<< <i>Plus, they're finding a way to win despite the fact their manager decided it would be a good idea to bat Neifi Perez second in the lineup. You have to be either super talented or a team of destiny when you have an automatic out in the 2 spot. >>

I just couldn't believe that. Everyone likes to talk about how Leyland was a wizard for putting Gomez in the lineup, but I haven't heard a peep about the senile move to which you're referring. I thought batting MONroe second was beyond dumb, but this move took the keg.
  • Options
    A761506A761506 Posts: 1,309 ✭✭✭
    Neifi Perez is right up there with the very worst of the most-absymal group of major leaguers. Supposedly he's know for his glove, but his defense always looks suspect. The guy cannot bear to take a single pitch unless it's practically 2 feet out of strike zone - he is the most impatient hitter I've ever seen. And when he does swing, it's that half-ass check swing/slash using only his arms...

Omar Infante is a far more suitable replacement. Heck, even Ramon Santiago is better than Neifi, and that's not saying much because Ramon leaves little to be desired also.

Of all the players to lose due to injury, things could have been far worse if it was someone other than Casey. I think the Tigers will get by just fine the rest of the way without him. His bat was certainly nice, but I think they'll find a way to pick up the slack.

I am really looking forward to the 2 or 3 games this weekend. I'll be out there freezing my butt off for all of them - it's like winter here as of today, totally ridiculous weather we're having.

I think the Tigers are going to finish this series right here, in either 4 or 5. Oakland just doesn't have the ability to score runs, the Tigers pitching has been stellar, and the Oakland starting pitching has been very shaky (although their bullpen has been excellent). I don't expect Rich Harden to have much success pitching in the cold coming off the injury. Danny Haren is very good when he's on, but he's hit or miss - I think the A's have their best shot of winning the game he pitches against Bonderman, unless Bonderman is on like he was last start.

If the Tigers make the WS, I don't see how either NL team is going to stand a chance to match up with us. Both teams have bad injuries (Pedro, O-Hernandez, Floyd, Sanchez on NY, Rolen who is playing hurt and hurting the Cards more than he's helping). The pitching is weak on both teams, the Mets can score some runs, and the Cards have no one aside from Pujols who is scary in their entire lineup. I personally hope it's the Cardinals, so it will be a rematch of '68 and more than likely have the same outcome.

• Options
    Infante would have been the logical choice to be in the line up instead of Perez. Omar swings the bat pretty good and saw action as a reserve all season. I will give credit to Perez for one thing, he can lay down a bunt to move runners ahead. I have to say that watching both of the Tigers/A's games I never saw Infante anywhere, not even in the dugout. The overall hitting and pitching has been great, keep it going
    Tigers!
  • Options
    kcballboykcballboy Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭
    Having had to endure the tragedy that is Angel Berroa the last few years, I almost forgot that his predecessor in KC was Perez. I'd take Neifi back. And that's not a compliment to either of them.

I would bat Neifi 2nd in my lineup only if all my regular position players were hurt, I had to field a lineup of pitchers, Neifi took 3 'Barry shots' before the game, the 8 year old across the street was busy, and hell froze over. Then I would bat him 2nd. As a DH.

Go Tigers!
    Travis
  • Options
    Kenny Rogers..................amazing.

Steve
    Good for you.
  • Options
    Ordonez had many key hits for us this year but last nights clutch homer, his second of the night was
    awesome! The Tigers season has been a great thing for the fans, the city of Detroit and Michigan as a whole. Keep it going Tigers!
  • Options
    Congrats to the Tigers!!! It looks like a rematch of the 68 series is a possibility now too. Being a Mets fan I'm hoping that the Mets face them but either team will be facing the hottest team of the year.

Great for guys like Monroe who suffered through that 119 loss season.

Steve
    Good for you.
  • Options
    EstilEstil Posts: 6,927 ✭✭✭✭
    Geez, the Athletics didn't put up much of a fight against the Tigers, did they? I definetly feel bad for whoever they face in the Series. Can you imagine what the scene would be like if the Tigers were to win the World Series at Comerica? Of course, that won't happen if they do another sweep, but I don't think the folks in Detroit will mind too much. image
    WISHLIST
    Dimes: 54S, 53P, 50P, 49S, 45D+S, 44S, 43D, 41S, 40D+S, 39D+S, 38D+S, 37D+S, 36S, 35D+S, all 16-34's
    Quarters: 52S, 47S, 46S, 40S, 39S, 38S, 37D+S, 36D+S, 35D, 34D, 32D+S
    74 Topps: 37,38,46,47,48,138,151,193,210,214,223,241,256,264,268,277,289,316,435,552,570,577,592,602,610,654,655
    1997 Finest silver: 115, 135, 139, 145, 310
    1995 Ultra Gold Medallion Sets: Golden Prospects, HR Kings, On-Base Leaders, Power Plus, RBI Kings, Rising Stars