Home Sports Talk
Options

Gary Sheffield a Red Sox

If the Yankees don't take his option year I can see Sheffield wanting to go to the Red Sox just to spite the Yankees, but would the Red Sox want an aging player?

Comments

• Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,535 ✭✭✭✭✭
    All set thanks.
  • Options
    I don't think that the Sox need Sheff. I'm hoping(as a baseball fan) that the Sox make Wily Mo Pena a starter. I'm really keen on this kid, and I think a row of Manny, Ortiz, and Pena can be one of the most dangerous threesomes in recent memory. Also, with Lowell and Youkilis(sp?) I don't even see a possible position for Sheff.
    Collecting;
    Mark Mulder rookies
    Chipper Jones rookies
    Orlando Cabrera rookies
    Lawrence Taylor
    Sam Huff
    Lavar Arrington
    NY Giants
    NY Yankees
    NJ Nets
    NJ Devils
    1950s-1960s Topps NY Giants Team cards

Looking for Topps rookies as well.

References:
    GregM13
    VintageJeff
  • Options
    baseballjeffbaseballjeff Posts: 1,070 ✭✭✭
    The Red Sox would want him why?

I doubt it!
  • Options
    AxtellAxtell Posts: 10,037 ✭✭
    Unlike the yankees, other teams don't sign over the hill overpriced vets to spite their rivals.

but then, I am sure spending $13 million per year on damon seemed like a good idea, huh?
  • Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,535 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Damon had a great season, Ax. Ask any Sox fan if they'd have preferred to have Johnny D in CF or Coco Crisp?

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options

<< <i>Damon had a great season, Ax. Ask any Sox fan if they'd have preferred to have Johnny D in CF or Coco Crisp? >>

They want him in 2, 3 years? He spoke volumes about his character by saying in the spring money didn't matter, then signing a deal that was only about money. That clubhouse is full of those guys: giambi, sheffield, little unit; guys more interested in money than being part of a team.

No wonder they can't get past the first round of the playoffs.
  • Options
    ctsoxfanctsoxfan Posts: 6,246 ✭✭
    Sheffield? No, thank you. That would be a Yankee-style signing, one that would look great on the surface, but cause more trouble than it's worth.

Willy Mo Pena will be in RF next year, along with Ortiz and Manny in their usual spots, and that's good enough for me.
  • Options

<< <i>Damon had a great season, Ax. Ask any Sox fan if they'd have preferred to have Johnny D in CF or Coco Crisp? >>

Crisp disappointed us for most of the year, but I don't think he was ever 100% healthy. He played with injuries all year, and turned in a few highlight reel type plays. He'll be fine next year, and believe me, Damon is an afterthought. He had a nice season in NY at the top of that lineup, but watch him. Just like Pedro, Theo expected a good year or two from both of those guys after they left Boston, but beyond that, the other teams would be left holding big contracts for declining players.
  • Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,535 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Crisp disappointed us for most of the year, but I don't think he was ever 100% healthy. He played with injuries all year, and turned in a few highlight reel type plays. He'll be fine next year

You must be cuckoo for Coco Puffs!!

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    haha

you pay a guy 13 million dollars to bat .285, hit 24 HRs and drive in 80 RBI? GREAT INVESTMENT DIPCHITS!

Hell, 50 guys hit more home runs than he did, 76 had more RBI, 79 had a better batting average, and 59 had higher OPS.

Only 23 players, though, made more money.

• Options
    BoopottsBoopotts Posts: 6,784 ✭✭

<< <i>Sheffield? No, thank you. That would be a Yankee-style signing, one that would look great on the surface, but cause more trouble than it's worth.

Willy Mo Pena will be in RF next year, along with Ortiz and Manny in their usual spots, and that's good enough for me. >>

Agreed- the last thing the Sox need is another head case slugger. But what they do need to start worrying about is who in the hell is going to pitch next season.
  • Options

<< <i>haha

you pay a guy 13 million dollars to bat .285, hit 24 HRs and drive in 80 RBI? GREAT INVESTMENT DIPCHITS!

Hell, 50 guys hit more home runs than he did, 76 had more RBI, 79 had a better batting average, and 59 had higher OPS.

Only 23 players, though, made more money. >>

How about that - of course, George was more concerned with overpaying Damon just to keep him from resigning in Boston.

In tonight's game, Damon caught a shallow fly ball in CF with Granderson on 3rd. He practically walked home after Damon caught the ball, as the announcers reminded us that Damon has virtually no arm, and had no chance of throwing anyone out at the plate. Just another reason to not throw a ton of money at him, but the Yanks could have cared less.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>Sheffield? No, thank you. That would be a Yankee-style signing, one that would look great on the surface, but cause more trouble than it's worth.

Willy Mo Pena will be in RF next year, along with Ortiz and Manny in their usual spots, and that's good enough for me. >>

Agreed- the last thing the Sox need is another head case slugger. But what they do need to start worrying about is who in the hell is going to pitch next season. >>

Well, the rotation looks fine at the moment - Schilling, Papelbon, Beckett, Wakefield - what we need is a closer. I have heard that Theo might look into getting Hoffman from SD.
  • Options

<< <i>haha

Yet, compare his numbers to Coco Crisps.

ctsox-I really hope Pena ends up with the RF starting gig. He earned it last year, and he has tremendous upside. He's "apparently" only 24 I think*. He'll turn 25 in Jan. So, I think he's got an honest shot at being a star.
    Collecting;
    Mark Mulder rookies
    Chipper Jones rookies
    Orlando Cabrera rookies
    Lawrence Taylor
    Sam Huff
    Lavar Arrington
    NY Giants
    NY Yankees
    NJ Nets
    NJ Devils

References:
    GregM13
    VintageJeff
  • Options

<< <i>

Shall I compare salaries too, numbnuts?
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>haha

ctsox-I really hope Pena ends up with the RF starting gig. He earned it last year, and he has tremendous upside. He's "apparently" only 24 I think*. He'll turn 25 in Jan. So, I think he's got an honest shot at being a star. >>

ToppsC - the one thing he needs to learn is how to be more selective at the plate. He can hit the ball a country mile, but he also strikes out a ton. If he can learn to take some pitches, he could really be a scary hitter.
  • Options
    So Sheffield will play better on the Sox than he did in the playoffs?
  • Options

<< <i>ToppsC - the one thing he needs to learn is how to be more selective at the plate. He can hit the ball a country mile, but he also strikes out a ton. If he can learn to take some pitches, he could really be a scary hitter. >>

I think with Manny and Ortiz(who both have excellent plate discipline for "sluggers") helping him, that's why I see so much upside with him. He did bat .300 last season, and god can he crush a ball.
    Collecting;
    Mark Mulder rookies
    Chipper Jones rookies
    Orlando Cabrera rookies
    Lawrence Taylor
    Sam Huff
    Lavar Arrington
    NY Giants
    NY Yankees
    NJ Nets
    NJ Devils

References:
    GregM13
    VintageJeff
  • Options

<< <i>

Shall I compare salaries too, numbnuts? >>

I am still waiting for topps to answer this very simple question...perhaps he has forgotten?
  • Options
    Coco-2.75 Million per year
    .264 BA, 8HR, 36RBI, 22SB, 58Runs

Damon-13million per year
    .285 BA, 24HR, 80RBI, 25SB, 114Runs

Outperformed Coco(Damon had a career year, and was injured for a good portion of it) in every catergory and still had 80 RBI batting leadoff. Coco is signed through 2010, who honestly think he's the guy for the job?
    Collecting;
    Mark Mulder rookies
    Chipper Jones rookies
    Orlando Cabrera rookies
    Lawrence Taylor
    Sam Huff
    Lavar Arrington
    NY Giants
    NY Yankees
    NJ Nets
    NJ Devils

References:
    GregM13
    VintageJeff
  • Options

<< <i>Coco-2.75 Million per year
    .264 BA, 8HR, 36RBI, 22SB, 58Runs

Damon-13million per year
    .285 BA, 24HR, 80RBI, 25SB, 114Runs
    >>

Hmm 1/5th the salary, similar BA, similar SB, damon gets the edge in HR. Don't bring up runs scored, as that's a factor of the team around them...same with RBI.

<< <i>Outperformed Coco(Damon had a career year, and was injured for a good portion of it) in every catergory and still had 80 RBI batting leadoff. Coco is signed through 2010, who honestly think he's the guy for the job? >>

I'd rather have a YOUNG Coco who can play defense than an OLD damon with a pasta arm making 5+ times more money.

One last thing: *this* is a career year? For a guy making THIRTEEN MILLION A YEAR?

No wonder the yanks are in the dumps.
  • Options
    And to think Pudge and Magglio are overpaid. And, how funny it was to hear about the Kenny Rogers signing!!
  • Options
    yankeeno7yankeeno7 Posts: 9,242 ✭✭✭
    Yeah, and Coco's stats are going to get you to the playoffs! image

DOPE
  • Options

<< <i>Yeah, and Coco's stats are going to get you to the playoffs! image

DOPE >>

And damon's stats won't get you out of the first round!

DOPE!
  • Options
    ^^
    Whiff
    Collecting;
    Mark Mulder rookies
    Chipper Jones rookies
    Orlando Cabrera rookies
    Lawrence Taylor
    Sam Huff
    Lavar Arrington
    NY Giants
    NY Yankees
    NJ Nets
    NJ Devils

References:
    GregM13
    VintageJeff
  • Options

<< <i>^^
    Whiff >>

You're right, damon's done a LOT of that!
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>Yeah, and Coco's stats are going to get you to the playoffs! image

DOPE >>

And damon's stats won't get you out of the first round!

DOPE! >>

Hell, Jeter's stats did not get them out of the first round!!!
  • Options
    I would be ok with that statement if the Tigers can carry the pennant torch for 5-6+ years...but right now, I dont think comparison doesnt do either team justice.

Fact is, Jeter has helped them to the playoffs for 10 years. Damon has proven himself in Boston and now NY, even if they dont make it to the WS.
  • Options

<< <i>I would be ok with that statement if the Tigers can carry the pennant torch for 5-6+ years...but right now, I dont think comparison doesnt do either team justice.

Fact is, Jeter has helped them to the playoffs for 10 years. Damon has proven himself in Boston and now NY, even if they dont make it to the WS. >>

How can you say he proved himself in NY, when he wasn't able to get his team out of the first round? Even the most hated man in ny, Arod, was able to do that!

• Options

<< <i>I would be ok with that statement if the Tigers can carry the pennant torch for 5-6+ years...but right now, I dont think comparison doesnt do either team justice.

Fact is, Jeter has helped them to the playoffs for 10 years. Damon has proven himself in Boston and now NY, even if they dont make it to the WS. >>

And Kenny Rogers walked in the winning run too, remember that! But he has not proven himself to be a better than average pitcher, you know, like any pitcher the Yankees sign to overinflated contracts!!
  • Options
    Axhole, if you go back and read slowly you will see you have misinformed yourself. Try and remember how your 4th grade teacher taught you to comprehend while you read..sometimes it just needs to be done slowly so you dont miss the important words.
  • Options
    Arod, in his first year in NY, carried his team out of the first round of the playoffs, batting .421.

NY, in damon's first year there, failed to get out of the first round of the playoffs, losing to a team that EVERYONE outside of ny picked to lose.

You be the judge.
  • Options
    ConnecticoinConnecticoin Posts: 12,542 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sheffield? No Thanks, the Yanks can keep him.
  • Options
    DeutscherGeistDeutscherGeist Posts: 2,990 ✭✭✭✭
    Where will he end up now?
    "So many of our DREAMS at first seem impossible, then they seem improbable, and then, when we SUMMON THE WILL they soon become INEVITABLE "- Christopher Reeve

BST: Tennessebanker, Downtown1974, LarkinCollector, nendee
  • Options

<< <i>Where will he end up now? >>

In front of a microphone claiming he did steroids.
  • Options
    MCMLVToppsMCMLVTopps Posts: 4,619 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I can see Sheffield wanting to go to the Red Sox

He can want forever, I seriously doubt he will ever wear a Red Sox uniform...too much of a head case, with an often displayed p#$@ poor attitude. Theo ain't that stupid.
  • Options

<< <i>All set thanks. >>

Im quoting myself from October 7th 2006

Still all set.

Theo has done a good job of ruining our chances of competing for a World Series in '10 I dont think he would want to add to his newest scheme of "5 nickels instead of a quarter"
  • Options
    Spring training is on and still no report from Gary Sheffield. I don't think he will be on the Red Sox, but perhaps the Tampa Bay Devil Rays where he can DH and play OF fulltime.
    The Yankees could also use him as a PH, DH, OF but they already committed to Nick Johnson and a bunch of other under the radar guys. Sheffield would have been the better guy for the Yankees bench and could have used him as a utility role player. I know some will point out that there there might be some bad feelings between Sheffield and the Yankee clubhouse, but they have a new manager, some new players and new Stadium. I think it depends on Sheffield accepting in advance that he will play a utility role.

Atlanta Braves? Chipper Jones and Bobby Cox had nothing but good things to say about him, but I think Sheffield should be better on an AL team where he can DH full time and play the occasional OF.

I believe a full time DH role would be best for him. Also, have a rookie on hand to give Sheffield some rest here and there.
    "So many of our DREAMS at first seem impossible, then they seem improbable, and then, when we SUMMON THE WILL they soon become INEVITABLE "- Christopher Reeve

• Options

<< <i>

<< <i>All set thanks. >>

Im quoting myself from October 7th 2006

Still all set.

Theo has done a good job of ruining our chances of competing for a World Series in '10 I dont think he would want to add to his newest scheme of "5 nickels instead of a quarter" >>

Quoting myself yet again. image
  • Options
    I don't know what "all set" means in this context.

Anyway, I do not want to start a new thread about Sheffield, so I will go with the latest one in the archives.

I keep checking to see where he will play this year and am saddened by the fact that no team signed him yet. A DH on an AL team is what he would be great at.

• Options
    KK Posts: 1,364 ✭✭✭
    Sheffield wouldn't be great at much more than sitting on his couch watching sportscenter this season.
  • Options
    dont you think its time for this juicer to hang up his spikes?
  • Options
    GarabaldiGarabaldi Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭
    I will pass on Sheff.
  • Options
    "All set" is generally a New England vernacular for "no thanks, not interested". We also have stuff like "wicked nice", or "wicked bad"...the wicked portion preceeding anything, simply means "mega" as in "mega nice", or "mega bad". We also have a comment when somebody does something stupid, we call that "he pulled a nutty", or "she pulled a nutty".

As for Sheffield, he has pulled too many nutties and it would be wicked bad for the Red Sox to pick him up...therefore, we're all set.

Got it?
  • Options
    Thanks for the linguistic lesson MCMLVTopps. I know I have Yankee logo as my avatar, but I actually live in California, therefore, unfamiliar with most of the dialect on the East Coast. I started as a Yankee fan when Don Mattingly was in his prime and never relented after that.

• Options
    DeutscherGeist

A TRUE Mattingly story for you... I'm in Fenway with two cousins and two buddies. We're sitting roughly straight up from the right field foul pole maybe 15 rows up (Pesky's pole as it's known to Fens fans). In front of us are 6 guys who are obviously all connected somehow. Behind me are two dads and two small boys with baseball gloves, the kids look to be maybe 5 or 6. We're at a Yankee's game.

Hensley Mullins comes to bat...this rather obscure player is a left-handed batter. Now comes a screaming foul ball right towards us...amazing how the trajectory almost seems in slow motion as your brain detects the angle, speed and HEY, the damn thing is coming right at us! We all stand up and the ball falls to my right, hits the cement and rolls behind me to one of the kids. The kid is not quick enough to capture the treasue and he manages to scoot it to his right. Two teenage guys are sitting to the kid's right and grab the ball. The kid now begins to cry like he learned Santa Claus just died. The dad does all he can to console the kid, but no go, this kid is bummed big time. We (my group and the 6 in front of me) begin to tell the teen to give the kid the ball...they refuse. A few innings pass, more beer, etc and now serious threats are being dished to the teens...something along the lines of "we are gonna wicked bad beat your ass if you don't give the kid the ball"...it goes downhill from there. Finally the teens leave as it looks like the group in front of me are looking for a rope. Perhaps they figure 11-2 odds are real bad, especially after the beer intake.

Somewhere around the 7th inning, Don Mattingly comes to bat...DEJA VU...here comes a foul ball, almost exactly like the Mullins ball. The guy in front of and just to the left of me ONE HANDS the ball, reaches between me and my cousin and puts the ball in the kids glove!! The kid lights up like the Christmas tree at Rockefeller center, I think he's still smiling. We give the guy an ovation and of course his beer is now free. The dad's expression said it all without saying anything, he was beyond thankful. We of course told that kid that having a Mullins ball is nothing like having a Don Mattingly ball...I doubt however that he knew the real difference, only that he went home with a ball from Fenway Park.

It was a beautiful thing.
  • Options
    it was as if Mattingly heard what was going on.... nice story, thanks for sharing!

• Options
    PSASAPPSASAP Posts: 2,284 ✭✭✭
    Hate to call out the grammar police, but shouldn't the title read Gary Sheffield a Red Sock or Sheffield Joining the Red Sox?
  • Options
    softparadesoftparade Posts: 9,271 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Its Hensley Muelens .... not Mullins. But thanks for the story. That kid needed to learn to CATCH THE BALL. There is no crying in baseball. No matter the age. Perhaps the teenage kid had a similiar event when he was young. Too bad they were harrassed.

Thank You image

ISO 1978 Topps Baseball in NM-MT High Grade Raw 3, 100, 103, 302, 347, 376, 416, 466, 481, 487, 509, 534, 540, 554, 579, 580, 622, 642, 673, 724__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________ISO 1978 O-Pee-Chee in NM-MT High Grade Raw12, 21, 29, 38, 49, 65, 69, 73, 74, 81, 95, 100, 104, 110, 115, 122, 132, 133, 135, 140, 142, 151, 153, 155, 160, 161, 167, 168, 172, 179, 181, 196, 200, 204, 210, 224, 231, 240

• Options
    Opening day is April 4. Still no sign of Sheffield. What a tragedy.