Home Metal Detecting
Options

62 coin day, a Sac dollar, and who knows?

I managed to get out today for a few hours. I hit an area where people have been known to go shooting. Alcohol is usually partaken there too. I came back with 62 coins. Most were pennies, but I did snag a Sacagawea dollar. None of the coins were wheaties or silver. Darn! image Among the numerous items I found were countless percussion caps for muzzle loading weapons, empty cartridges, and of course lead. These are just a few of them. I also came back with an item that appears to be some sort of charm. I'm posting a picture in the hopes someone can ID it. Both sides are the same and the lettering around the edge is HVNG*BOH*LOMB*ETVKN*GAL*LOD*ILL*REXAA*1859. As you can see it also has 1/4 FL. I immediately think of Florin, but a Florin doesn't look like this. What do you folks think?

Thanks for looking.

imageimage
imageimageimage

Comments

• Options
    phutphut Posts: 1,087
    Quite the haul there BentFork.
    Have no clue what the charm is, but it sure is cool looking.
  • Options
    ZotZot Posts: 825 ✭✭✭
    Interesting charm. The FL would refer to Florin and the legend is that of Austrian coins of this era (Franz Joseph), referring to the areas his kingdom included. In the case of an actual coin the other side would probably be something like FRANC.IOS.I.D.G.AVSTRIAE IMPERATOR A.
    The charm itself loks rather American though, looks like the reverse of a Kennedy half dollar to me... Go figure..
    Minelab: GPX 5000, Excalibur II, Explorer SE. White's: MXT, PI Pro