Home Stamps Forum
Options

Very sad...

Well, with the advice that I was given in this forum I set out to find Scott's catalog at my local library and I did indeed. I don't really collect stamps, but they belong to my great grandmother who loved the hobby, so I was told. I was also told that this collection was worth a ton of money. My grandmother had been told by her mother, my great grandmother, that she believed the collection was worth at least six figures. I guess I never really thought about the money aspect, just how beautiful the stamps were. I never really got into collecting them because they seemed so old and delicate and I was afraid to harm them. So, I started collecting baseball cards instead and to this day still do.
I believe that the most dissappointing aspect of this situation is that my great grandmother was not telling the truth or something was miscommunicated. They aren't really worth all that much. I found one worth $15.00, but that's about it. Somewhere in the back of my mind I had always invisioned my wife and I retiring and selling these to a young collector who was eager to be involved in the hobby. We would then take the cash and live the rest of our lives off of it. But, doesn't look like that's going to happen.
BUT, there is a positive side to this! I have a lot of beautiful stamps that I have enjoyed looking at since I was young and will continue to enjoy looking at. I know it seems selfish to be in this for money, and I'm not saying I am. I guess it was just a dream, that's all. Thanks for everyone's help.

Guru

Comments

• Options
    My dad had a collection of used US stamps from the 20's to about the 70's. After he died, I found them and started to look up prices, I figured "they are really old, they must be worth something"! Well, that was a big disapointment. But what I realized was that I enjoyed them because of the history attached to each one. I was intrigued by who Ramon Magsaysay was, what The Battle of Fallen Timbers was about, and where was the Palace of the Governors was.
    As a result, I began collecting. I now have a complete US set, MNH, from 1930 to 1981, and am working (slowly) towards completion. I have joined the APS, and look forward to getting circuits from them.
    I still have my Dads stamps, and will probably always hold onto them. So don't look at it as a sad occasion, but a stepping stone towards a great hobby.
    M39/10USNY:US1Cu10000:US5Ni3520:US10Ag94:US25Ag65:US50Ag18
    2000 Gallery PPI Registry Set
  • Options
    Guru, don't keep any false hope up, but still think of a glimer somewhere until someone who does know tells you. There could still be a few with some umpf to them. Here's a couple things that I would like to know.

1. How old where the catalogues?
    2. Who published them?
    3. Was it broken down into just 2 categories? Unused and Used?

When it comes to old collections and hinges there is really no one to point the finger at. It was just a sign of the times. My Dad collected stamps when he was a kid. He is now in his 80s. He put all of them in a book with hinges. Thirty years later I collected stamps as a kid (1960s) I also put every single one I had in an album with hinges. Everybody did. That doesn't help you, me or anybody, but that's just how it is. Or, I should say was, thank goodness. Coins has a similar problem but with cleaning.

Jerry
  • Options
    Actually none of these are in catalogs with hinges. They are still loose in the original envelopes from Kenmore identifying the year, the country, the context or story of the stamp, the price, and what looks like some type of lettering system. They were given to me like this is an old tie box along with some information about Kenmore from back in the fifties or somewhere around that time. The box was really old and dusty and from a store that had since past. I just remember opening them up and realizing how beautiful they were.
    The catalogs that I used were published this year and are Scott's. So, I'm not really sure what to do next to better preserve these stamps. I really hate to take them out of the envelopes since I might loose track of where they are from and what years. Any suggestions? And as far as reading the catalogs, I tried my best to decipher but some of them were difficult to do.
  • Options
    You can leave them in the original envelopes, or buy new ones. You can find lots of stamp supplies on the net and pick what you think will look best. If you plan on leaving them in an envelope and will be pulling them out to look at you should buy a pair of stamp tweezers. Stock pages in an album with the envelpoes would look nice.

Jerry