Home PSA Set Registry Forum

November SMR - Crandell Collection

Just got my issue and was truly impressed with the article on Jim Crandell and his huge collection.

Never had the pleasure of meeting him, only some posting back and forth on messg. bds., so I was kind of surprized by his photos, he seemed to look much too presentable and family-like, rather than the nasty lean mean collecting machine, I had pictured him as.

The amount of cards, high quality cards, he has is simply astounding ! I guess we knew it if we read his posts and posts about him, but when confirmed with shots of his great collecting room in the story.... it is still hard to comprehend.

Just to focus on a particular set, or several sets, in any grade, is usually enough for most of us. The vast quantity and quality of this collection is perhaps unmatched. I would hope a follow-up story, with more specific detail on certain sets and cards, of which is greatly interesting in my view, will be forthcoming.

This aint no party,... this aint no disco,.. this aint no fooling around.

Comments

• MantlefanMantlefan Posts: 1,079 ✭✭
    Great article. As impressive as Jim's collection is, I'm sure he's more proud of his great family. I'm glad they were pictured as well.
    Frank

Always looking for 1957 Topps BB in PSA 9!
  • gregm13gregm13 Posts: 5,798 ✭✭✭
    Jim,

Now I know why people travel from far away to see you're collection. Truly amazing. I thought I was doing well w/ 2000+ PSA graded cards...wow.

Regards,

Greg M.
    Collecting vintage auto'd fb cards and Dan Marino cards!!

References:
    Onlychild, Ahmanfan, fabfrank, wufdude, jradke, Reese, Jasp, thenavarro
    E-Bay id: greg_n_meg
  • Bill Clinton and George Clooney!

live each day like it's your last but don't count on it!
  • I too was very impressed! It is great to read a story about a collector who is very passionate about his collection. What makes it even better is that Jim is very willing to share his collection with others.
  • I enjoyed the article, just hope all is insured. That is alot of money in cardboard and plastic..............
    "Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum"
    (If you want peace, prepare for War).........Semper Fi
  • RedHeart54RedHeart54 Posts: 2,275 ✭✭✭
    What are some of the highlights of his collection?
  • jradke4jradke4 Posts: 3,573 ✭✭✭
    I would love to be able to veiw his collection sometime. Just think if he tried to scan some of them. All the hours and scanners he would burn through.
    Packers Fan for Life
    Collecting:
    Brett Favre Master Set
    Favre Ticket Stubs
    Favre TD Reciever Autos
    Football HOF Player/etc. Auto Set
    Football HOF Rc's
  • There were a couple of nice pics of his overall collection. I really liked the display setup he used.
    "Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum"
    (If you want peace, prepare for War).........Semper Fi
  • I haven't got my SMR yet. Sounds like a great article.
  • DavalilloDavalillo Posts: 1,846 ✭✭
    Thank you all for your kind comments and thanks to Joe Orlando and his staff at PSA.

Frank is absolutely correct--nothing approaches my family in importance. My wife is wonderful and the children gifts from God.

I will talk to Joe about a follow-up story but probably not in 2007.

If anyone is near NJ they are welcome to come and see the "room". I will likely have another collectors party by the summer.

Meanwhile thanks to everyone for seeking out the cards I need to make 100 sets a reality.

Jim
  • kobykoby Posts: 1,699 ✭✭
    Nice article. The photos of Crandell are surprising. He looks nothing like what I imagined.
  • softparadesoftparade Posts: 9,275 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That card "room" is absolutley stunning. Its more like a warehouse!! image

ISO 1978 Topps Baseball in NM-MT High Grade Raw 3, 100, 103, 302, 347, 376, 416, 466, 481, 487, 509, 534, 540, 554, 579, 580, 622, 642, 673, 724__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________ISO 1978 O-Pee-Chee in NM-MT High Grade Raw12, 21, 29, 38, 49, 65, 69, 73, 74, 81, 95, 100, 104, 110, 115, 122, 132, 133, 135, 140, 142, 151, 153, 155, 160, 161, 167, 168, 172, 179, 181, 196, 200, 204, 210, 224, 231, 240

• packCollectorpackCollector Posts: 2,786 ✭✭✭
    would like to read the article but my smr's usually arrive a month lateimage
    To read the article, go to PSA Website, click on SMR Magazine, then click on back issues, then click on November 2006 and articles appear.

Jim
  • Here's the link

Very inspiring Jim. Great looking room.
  • Piman58Piman58 Posts: 814 ✭✭
    I have a brother-in-law that lives in New Jersey. I may just have to visit him sometime.

I hope to someday run across a card needed for one of yours sets so I can say that I was owned a card that is in that truly amazing collection.
  • Wonderful article Jim. You have a beautiful family and are truly blessed. I read the article this morning on the way to work and as impressive as the collection is, your organization and the way it is displayed floors me. Being able to view the cards rather than pull them from storage must be a big plus. Congrats and good luck on your quest. I will make coming to this years "get together" a priority.
    Baseball is my Pastime, Football is my Passion
    Frank,

Better than that--we will plan the next party when you can come. And thanks for the compliments on my family.

Piman,

You are welcome anytime--even more so if you find cards for my collection that I need(ha ha).

Card Kid and Others,

Honestly, I don't think the pictures do the room justice. There are parts of the room that are not included in the article. The room hooks around and you cannot include everything in one picture.

Jim
  • 19541954 Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭
    Jim,
    What a collection! I hope someday I can see your museum. Your dedication and willingness to share with others makes you the top collector in my mind.

Shane
    Looking for high grade rookie cards and unopened boxes/cases
  • jradke4jradke4 Posts: 3,573 ✭✭✭
    Agreed 1954. Its great to see someone with a collection like that share it with others who enjoy the same hobby. Thats why I love looking through the set registry and the collections with the scans of their cards. I know from my own experience that its hard to keep up with the scanning at times. But I wish more people would scan some of the cards. Its the most interesting for player sets, key cards and other special sets (like HOF auto'd cards) where there is such a variety of cards out there.
    Packers Fan for Life
    Collecting:
    Brett Favre Master Set
    Favre Ticket Stubs
    Favre TD Reciever Autos
    Football HOF Player/etc. Auto Set
    Football HOF Rc's
    Thank you Shane.

Keep showing me stuff like 71 TGM and 34-36 Batter-Ups--we will do a big deal at some point.

Also appreciate the kind words--it was a pleasure meeting you at the National.

Jim
  • MorrellManMorrellMan Posts: 3,238 ✭✭✭
    I wanted to read the article before I chimed in here, and I finally got my SMR today. It was a pleasure to meet Jim at the nat'l luncheon; that being said I was pleased to learn even more about him in the article. Beautiful family and blessings from a lifetime of good hard honest work - I was especially curious about the binders on the table - are those raws sets?
    Mark (amerbbcards)

"All evil needs to triumph is for good men to do nothing."
  • rvcrvc Posts: 559 ✭✭
    great card room , wow! i think we all dream of having some miniature version of that someday.
    we havent crossed paths jim but being in jersey i would have to consider that next party of yours .
    glad to finally learn where the name comes from.

robert
    Bob
    Robert,

Since you are so close, call me or e-mail and we can set up a time to come over.

Mark,

That was very kind of you to say, especially about my family.

It was nice to meet you too.

And I do have a couple hundred or more raw sets hanging around.

Jim
  • tkd7tkd7 Posts: 1,799 ✭✭
    Jim,
    Very nice article. I can personally speak to your hospitality in sharing your collection. Good luck in completing even more sets!
    Tom
  • RipkenRipken Posts: 559 ✭✭✭
    Everyone likes to read about a large or fascinating accumulaton and the stories behind it.

One of the really neat things we've been able to do at SportsCollectorsDaily.com are features on collectors & their collections--and link to others we've found in the mainstream media (nothing quite like Jim's but many of a different type and focus). It's been by far the most popular type of story on the site. Even something as simple as a modern player collection of exceptional size & depth draws interest.

If any of you would like to suggest a possible feature for us, please contact me. We know there are plenty to go around which haven't been told...and a lot of collectors deserving of the attention as long as they don't mind it (that's always a good thing to know ahead of time!). And yes, it's OK to nominate yourself. Many of you probably know each other only via this (and other) boards and don't have someone who's willing to suggest you. I'd also like to do something on hobby rooms. Maybe we can begin to collect these images and put them in our photo gallery. The internet makes the world a lot smaller and this is one of the really cool things that is made possible.

Drop me an e-mail through the site or respond here or via PM.
  • JIM I am working on a sign for xmas for you.

Welcome to Davilillos Museum Of Sports History imageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimage