Home Stamps Forum
Options

Great Grandmother's stamps from Kenmore...

Hello all. My name is Guru and I'm from the sports card forum, but I thought I would stop by and ask a question about stamps that my grandmother gave me that belonged to her mother. Some of these stamps are from countries that no longer exist. Some are British colony stamps and there are tons of others. Could these stamps be worth anything? How do I find out? They are all International stamps and I haven't been able to find any price guides for them. I'd also like to find a web page where I can order books to keep them in. Any takers on that one? Thanks.

Comments

• Options
    The first thing is this. Do not use hinges to place any of your stamps in books. Unused or Cancelled. If they already have hinges on them, do not try to remove them...yet. What are they in now? Any of them stuck together?

Here you go for supplies. Stamp Supplies Under browse products on the left. You can also try Brooklyn Gallery.

We can guesstimate some of what you have if we knew how old your grandmother's mother was when she gave the stamps to your grandmother. I know that sounds far out, but if you haven't looked through your stamps throughly you might just find something. Also, look on the cancelled stamps for readable dates. If we don't know what you have we don't know if they are worth anything.

Also, go to your local library. Most have Scott Stamp Catalogs. Sometimes they are a few years old, but at least it's a start.

Countries that no longer exist. Not limited to obviously, but check for stamps from White Russia. Let us know what you find.

• Options
    Thank you for responding. I'm in a bit of a hurry this morning, but I did have the chance to look through a little bit of what I have. My grandmother received the stamps upon the death of her mother, which I believe was around 1970-71. Most of them are from the 1950's and no older than like 1963. The oldset set I could find in my rush this morning was from 1938-41 Sierra Leone. A set of 4 featuring King George VI pictorials from Sierra Leone. All four have been used. I'll try to get on later and make a list of some others that I have. Thanks again.
  • Options
    krankykranky Posts: 8,709 ✭✭✭
    The Scott's catalogs that UncleWiggly mentioned will have listings for your stamps.

New collectors, please educate yourself before spending money on coins; there are people who believe that using numismatic knowledge to rip the naïve is what this hobby is all about.