Home Sports Talk
Options

Is Andy Reid on drugs?

stevekstevek Posts: 27,771 ✭✭✭✭✭
One second to go in the first half, down by two points, a 53 yard field goal try with one of the best kickers in the league who has perhaps the best leg in the league, the Packers kicker already kicked one for about 53 years, the weather is clear, and Reid calls a fake field goal pass play that does nothing.

The Eagles are still going to beat Green Bay tonight because Green Bay is pathetic, but still these lousy calls and poor clock management at the end of halfs and games are really starting to irritate me!

In this game what I was afraid of is happening. The Eagles are looking past this game to the Cowboys next Sunday and playing so far like crap.

Comments

• Options
    DirtyHarryDirtyHarry Posts: 1,914 ✭✭
    He was only 6-10 last year. Maybe he is loosing it, or on drugs. Perhaps he is overdosing on cheesesteaks. That was a rather bodacious and confident move. Risky. Second half to come.
    "A man's got to know his limitations...." Dirty Harry

Unfocused, impulsive collector of everything ...
  • Options
    ziggy29ziggy29 Posts: 18,668 ✭✭✭
    Not just that, he calls it to be thrown to a slow tight end who has little chance of making it all the way to the end zone.

Bad, bad call. Maybe a good call on 4th and 5 with time remaining, but a bad call as the last play of the half.
  • Options
    Reid admitted at the press conference that it was a terrible call. Come on now Andy, if you're gonna win a Super Bowl you just gotta do better than that. That could have been a fatal mistake against a decent football team!

But the Eagles won that game sleepwalking - the Packers are just so bad.
  • Options
    AxtellAxtell Posts: 10,037 ✭✭
    I felt the same way when the packers attempted a 54 yard field goal.

Fourth and three (or was it four) at the eagles 41 yard line...GO FOR IT YOU DOPE. Though with the rookie coach I understand the hesitancy to make bold calls like that, especially since Mangini was essentially crucified for going for it on fourth and short at indy.

I read an interesting article that discussed that most 4th and short situations (4 yards or less), going for the first down is the correct call. The average offensive play in the NFL goes for 4 yards, and, unless it's inside your own 40, going for it on fourth and 4 or less is the right call.

I hope more coaches make the 'go for it' on fourth call more often.

• Options

<< <i>I felt the same way when the packers attempted a 54 yard field goal.

Fourth and three (or was it four) at the eagles 41 yard line...GO FOR IT YOU DOPE. Though with the rookie coach I understand the hesitancy to make bold calls like that, especially since Mangini was essentially crucified for going for it on fourth and short at indy.

I read an interesting article that discussed that most 4th and short situations (4 yards or less), going for the first down is the correct call. The average offensive play in the NFL goes for 4 yards, and, unless it's inside your own 40, going for it on fourth and 4 or less is the right call.

I hope more coaches make the 'go for it' on fourth call more often. >>

Good points. Possibly the difference between successful and unsuccessful coaches in the NFL are the successful coaches try to win, and the unsuccessful coaches try not to lose. Obviously you can't go for 4th and short every single time, but the winning coaches just seem to be able to quickly in a milisecond gather in all the information such as team momentum, the score, time left in the game, defensive tendencies, and many other variables and make the right call to go for it versus a field goal or a punt.

Belichick last Sunday, his team leading, went for a touchdown in the 4th quarter on 4th down, short and goal, which suceeded and put the game away, rather than kick an easy field goal and allow the opponent to remain in the game. Of course Belichick is one of the best and of course wants to win, instead of trying not to lose.
  • Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,539 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

Belichick last Sunday, his team leading, went for a touchdown in the 4th quarter on 4th down, short and goal, which suceeded and put the game away, rather than kick an easy field goal and allow the opponent to remain in the game. Of course Belichick is one of the best and of course wants to win, instead of trying not to lose. >>

Yea thats because he was not sure if Gratkowski would be able to hit a FG from that distance...image