Home Sports Talk
Options

Can anyone see Bonds and the Gigantes not dancing for another year?

SanctionIISanctionII Posts: 11,736 ✭✭✭✭✭
Love him or hate him, Bonds fills seats in SF.

The team has so much invested in Bonds and his chase of the home run record that it would not make sense to let him go.

Bonds on the other hand would probably not be warmly welcomed in any city other than SF and would not be catered as he is in SF. I doubt he would be willing to go the the AL to be a DH. Many NL teams would not want to bring his disruptive presence into the club house. For all his statements about how tired he is and how he would like to spend time with his family, I can not see him sitting around at home watching the grass grow (heck his family may not want him to be around if he is a pain to deal with 24-7). Absent his body breaking down completely, he clearly will not retire until after he breaks the home run record of 755 (22 more homers and he is there). He may not even stop at 756, instead he may go for 800 just to distance himself from Hammerin Hank.

I suspect that both the club and Bonds will publicly complain about the negotiations for a new deal, accusing each other of being unfair in what is demanded and offered. However, in the end, it makes no sense for Bonds and the Gigantes to part company with Bonds likely to break the record next season. He wants the record and the Gigantes want to have Bonds were the Orange and Black when the record is broken. Just can not see the Gigantes letting him go somewhere else to break the record. Even if he is a pain, his quest for the record fills up the SF ballpark day in and day out. The publicity and income generated for the Giants from Bond's home run quest dictate that they resign him.

Comments

• Options
    DirtyHarryDirtyHarry Posts: 1,914 ✭✭
    No, strictly business. He will puts fans in the seats. The only way I see this not happening is if his salary demands are ridiculous relative to the payback. He has no long term benefit to the team.
    "A man's got to know his limitations...." Dirty Harry

Unfocused, impulsive collector of everything ...
  • Options
    ctsoxfanctsoxfan Posts: 6,246 ✭✭
    I wish Bonds would retire. Who even cares what he does anymore? It seems like the fans have let up on him, and that's too bad. He should be booed every time he steps up to a plate, everywhere he plays.