Home Sports Talk
Options

Wow Minny takes their division on last day of season

When was the last time Detroit wasn't in first place this year? What a collapse.

Comments

• Options
    ziggy29ziggy29 Posts: 18,668 ✭✭✭

<< <i>When was the last time Detroit wasn't in first place this year? What a collapse. >>

Not just a collapse -- a collapse culminating in getting swept by the ROYALS at home.
  • Options
    I know that's just inexcusable.
  • Options
    They were at least tied for the division, and technically held the tiebreaker against the Twins, all year. So, until today, they had it.

Awesome!

Now go beat the Yankees!!!
    Am I speaking Chinese?

• Options
    softparadesoftparade Posts: 9,271 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>They were at least tied for the division, and technically held the tiebreaker against the Twins, all year. So, until today, they had it.

Awesome!

Now go beat the Yankees!!! >>

They don't have a chance to beat the Yankees right off the get go thanks to the Tigers choke job. This kind of sets up a really good ALCS if the Twins and Yankees take care of buisness.

ISO 1978 Topps Baseball in NM-MT High Grade Raw 3, 100, 103, 302, 347, 376, 416, 466, 481, 487, 509, 534, 540, 554, 579, 580, 622, 642, 673, 724__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________ISO 1978 O-Pee-Chee in NM-MT High Grade Raw12, 21, 29, 38, 49, 65, 69, 73, 74, 81, 95, 100, 104, 110, 115, 122, 132, 133, 135, 140, 142, 151, 153, 155, 160, 161, 167, 168, 172, 179, 181, 196, 200, 204, 210, 224, 231, 240

• Options
    The Tigers will get swept by the Yankees.
  • Options
    I agree. They're playing so poorly right now, and to lose the division on the last day after holding it all season has got to be psychologically killer for them. Yanks should dismantle them.
  • Options
    AxtellAxtell Posts: 10,037 ✭✭

<< <i>When was the last time Detroit wasn't in first place this year? What a collapse. >>

Talk about short sightedness.

Look at how hot minny has been for how long? The tigers 'collapsed' when everyone picked them to finish last?

Give me a break.
  • Options
    Axtroll, yes it's a collapse when you have a commanding lead all year and finally lose the division on the last day. That's not to hard to figure out, even for you.
  • Options
    ctsoxfanctsoxfan Posts: 6,246 ✭✭
    So, now we need the Tigers to put this behind them, and take care of more important business.

Detroit has the better pitching, and the better manager.

Here's hoping.
  • Options
    softparadesoftparade Posts: 9,271 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>So, now we need the Tigers to put this behind them, and take care of more important business.

Detroit has the better pitching, and the better manager.

Here's hoping. >>

The better pitching part is debateable ..... the manager comment is crap. If leyland was such a "better" manager then Joe Torre, his team with the "better" pitching would have NEVER coughed up a lung at the very end of the season.

Jer, go watch football .... we need guys posting that don't have full fledged blinders on image

ISO 1978 Topps Baseball in NM-MT High Grade Raw 3, 100, 103, 302, 347, 376, 416, 466, 481, 487, 509, 534, 540, 554, 579, 580, 622, 642, 673, 724__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________ISO 1978 O-Pee-Chee in NM-MT High Grade Raw12, 21, 29, 38, 49, 65, 69, 73, 74, 81, 95, 100, 104, 110, 115, 122, 132, 133, 135, 140, 142, 151, 153, 155, 160, 161, 167, 168, 172, 179, 181, 196, 200, 204, 210, 224, 231, 240

• Options
    detroitfan2detroitfan2 Posts: 3,314 ✭✭✭✭
    <<The better pitching part is debateable ..... the manager comment is crap. If leyland was such a "better" manager then Joe Torre, his team with the "better" pitching would have NEVER coughed up a lung at the very end of the season.>>

Amen to that. Jim Leyland is incredibly overrated. He *may* be a decent leader. More likely, he fell into an unbelievable situation where his pitching staff went bananas for 157 games. What are the odds that TWO rookies like Verlander and Zumaya would pitch like they did? Add Rogers and Jones into the mix, and it's pretty hard to not be decent team.

Regardless, Leyland's strategy is just baffling. Managing in the AL is far from rocket science, yet he did puzzling things all year long.

The guy's lifetime record as a manager is under .500. How good can he be?
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>They were at least tied for the division, and technically held the tiebreaker against the Twins, all year. So, until today, they had it.

Awesome!

Now go beat the Yankees!!! >>

They don't have a chance to beat the Yankees right off the get go thanks to the Tigers choke job. This kind of sets up a really good ALCS if the Twins and Yankees take care of buisness. >>

What I meant was, Detroit, go beat the Yankees...
    Am I speaking Chinese?

• Options
    BoopottsBoopotts Posts: 6,784 ✭✭

<< <i><<The better pitching part is debateable ..... the manager comment is crap. If leyland was such a "better" manager then Joe Torre, his team with the "better" pitching would have NEVER coughed up a lung at the very end of the season.>>

Amen to that. Jim Leyland is incredibly overrated. He *may* be a decent leader. More likely, he fell into an unbelievable situation where his pitching staff went bananas for 157 games. What are the odds that TWO rookies like Verlander and Zumaya would pitch like they did? Add Rogers and Jones into the mix, and it's pretty hard to not be decent team.

Regardless, Leyland's strategy is just baffling. Managing in the AL is far from rocket science, yet he did puzzling things all year long.

The guy's lifetime record as a manager is under .500. How good can he be? >>

I don't think there's any real point in getting into 'good manager bad manager' arguments when we're talking about the AL (although I can't back that up with numbers, and would happily admit I was wrong if someone has a compelling argument to the contrary). And yes, I agree the Tigers totally gagged this week-- and that now they're going to pay for it.

And, oddly, I also agree that the pitching staffs are pretty close. When I first saw this I thought 'give me a break', but after mulling it over I don't think this is all that inaccurate. Wang-Robertson should be a wash, Mussina-Verlander is close to a wash (although I give an edge to Mussina), and who knows about Rogers-Johnson? Bonderman-Whoever is a big + for the Bengals, but the way it's been going I'm not sure we'll even get that far.

• Options
    The Tiggers will win ONE game against the Yankees. They haven't been hot since mid-summer, and the Yankees definitly have their number. No matter "how good" the Tiggers pitching is, it isn't good enough to stop the Yankees lineup.
    Collecting;
    Mark Mulder rookies
    Chipper Jones rookies
    Orlando Cabrera rookies
    Lawrence Taylor
    Sam Huff
    Lavar Arrington
    NY Giants
    NY Yankees
    NJ Nets
    NJ Devils
    1950s-1960s Topps NY Giants Team cards

Looking for Topps rookies as well.

References:
    GregM13
    VintageJeff
  • Options
    estangestang Posts: 1,262 ✭✭✭

Oh Yeah!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Enjoy your collection!
    Erik
  • Options
    athleticsfanathleticsfan Posts: 249 ✭✭✭
    A's World Championships-1910, 1911, 1913, 1929, 1930, 1972, 1973, 1974, 1989