Home U.S. Coin Forum

NASA Set

7over87over8 Posts: 4,733 ✭✭✭
I heard they are going to do the NASA commem set next year.

I haven't heard about this set in more than a few months.....other stories weren't written about it.

A good source tells me its a GO-- Houston.

Comments

• The bill calls for the $50 coin to be limited to 50,000 and contain one troy ounce of fine gold. Opposite its image of the sun on the reverse will appear "a design emblematic of the sacrifice of the United States astronauts who lost their lives in the line of duty over the course of the space program." The edge of the 1.25 inch diameter coins will be inscribed with the names and dates of the missions on which astronauts were lost.

Likewise, the nine 1.5 inch silver commemoratives will be limited to 400,000 each and contain 90 percent silver and 10 percent copper. The coins will feature on their reverse different designs that are "emblematic of discoveries and missions of the Jet Propulsion Laboratory to the planet depicted on the obverse of the coin." The bill requires the artwork to be realistic and accurate, as well as sets forth specific details for four of the coins:

* The "Earth" coin is to "bear images emblematic of, and honoring, the discoveries and missions of the National Aeronautics and Space Administration, the Mercury, Gemini and Space Shuttle missions and other manned Earth-orbiting missions, and the Apollo missions to the Moon."
    * "Jupiter" will have "the Galilean moon Europa and depict both a past and future mission to Europa."
    * "Saturn" is to include "the moon Titan and depict both a past and a future mission to Titan."
    * "Pluto" will bear a design that is "emblematic of telescopic exploration of deep space by the National Aeronautics and Space Administration and the ongoing search for Earth- like planets orbiting other stars."

Final selection of the designs will be overseen by the Secretary of the Treasury in consultation with the NASA Administrator, the Director of JPL, the Commission of Fine Arts and with review by the Citizens Coin Advisory Committee
    UCSB Electrical Engineering....... USCG and NASA
  • itsnotjustmeitsnotjustme Posts: 8,777 ✭✭✭
    In true NASA fashion, the launch will be delayed, and it will cost far more than planned. But on the bright side, some of the results will be spectacular!
    Give Blood (Red Bags) & Platelets (Yellow Bags)!
  • Looks like 2007 is going to be another "banner" year for the Mint.... a visit to their website confirms a Little Rock Desegregation commem. silver $1, as well as Jamestown commem. silver $1 and gold $5, plus the possibility of this NASA set. Mix in the first year of the Presidential Dollars and their Gold First Ladies. Throw in the second year of uncirculated American Eagles and proof and uncirculated Buffalos. Nice ideas, although some I am not interested in from a theme standpoint and many I will not be able to afford from a financial standpoint.
  • robertprrobertpr Posts: 6,862 ✭✭✭
    I wonder if they are going to scrap the Pluto coin since it's no longer a planet? image
  • trozautrozau Posts: 3,455 ✭✭✭

<< <i> The edge of the 1.25 inch diameter coins will be inscribed with the names and dates of the missions on which astronauts were lost. >>

How are they gonna fit all that? image
    trozau (troy ounce gold)
  • Conder101Conder101 Posts: 10,536
    It's not that much to fit in, there have only been three missions where astronauts have died Apollo 1 1/27/67, STS-51L 1/25/86, and STL-107 2/1/03. It says the mission names, not the ship or astronaut names. Although I could easily see the mint producing a whole set of 1 oz gold coins to sell into the market, four coins to each set. One with the mission and ship name and the other three with the names of the crew two or three names per coin. "Collect the NASA memorial set commemorating the heroic men and women who gave their lives in the advancement of science" a total of 12 oz of gold coins. 24 oz if you get both proof and Unc. image
  • "The edge of the 1.25 inch diameter coins will be inscribed with the names and dates of the missions on which astronauts were lost." NEAT!

And, I was wondering the same thing about Pluto.
  • I thought that the Mint was limited to 2 Commemorative issues per year. As such, I figured that 2007 was already "filled" with Jamestown and Little Rock. How does the Austronaut series fit in here?

Eric
    EAC member since 2011, one third of the way through my 1793 large cent type set
  • commoncents05commoncents05 Posts: 10,078 ✭✭✭
    sounds like a really neat set, i'm big into the whole space thing. sounds like i might actually buy something right from the mint
    Many Quality coins for sale at http://www.CommonCentsRareCoins.com
  • Conder101Conder101 Posts: 10,536
    Simple, Congress legislates an "exception".
  • SoundPointSoundPoint Posts: 255 ✭✭✭

Does anyone know if the NASA set is still a go?

Thanks,
    SoundPoint

• << <i>Does anyone know if the NASA set is still a go?

Thanks,
    SoundPoint >>

I think that the only competition still out there (beyond the Bald Eagle commem that is already a go) for the second 2008 commem slot is Old Man of the Mountain Commemorative Coin Act . That bill is really really silly. The NASA already has the CCAC nod.

That's how I see it...
  • flaminioflaminio Posts: 5,664 ✭✭✭
    Now that Pluto's not a planet anymore, at least that'll be one less coin to buy...
  • I e-mailed the director of the mint and ask "Is Uranus a go?"

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file