Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

So why DON'T you collect foreign coins?

ShamikaShamika Posts: 18,760 ✭✭✭✭

I only collect U.S. coinage, but there are so many beautiful and inexpensive dark side coins that it's hard to resist.

What's your reason for exclusively collecting U.S.?

Buyer and seller of vintage coin boards!

Comments

• Options
    itsnotjustmeitsnotjustme Posts: 8,777 ✭✭✭
    My feeling is I have enough of a challenge working on my US Type Set. Why add to it?
    Give Blood (Red Bags) & Platelets (Yellow Bags)!
  • Options
    123cents123cents Posts: 7,178 ✭✭✭
    As said, it is a challenge just to put US coin collections together.
  • Options
    LeianaLeiana Posts: 4,349
    I just started being interested in Darksides beyond the circulated stuff relatives would bring home from vacation.

They're pretty! image

-Amanda

I'm a YN working on a type set!

My Buffalo Nickel Website Home of the Quirky Buffaloes Collection!

Proud member of the CUFYNA
  • Options
    BigEBigE Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭
    The Redbook is easier to carry than the phonebook (Krause)----------------BigE
    I'm glad I am a Tree
  • Options
    Steve27Steve27 Posts: 13,274 ✭✭✭
    imageimage
    "It's far easier to fight for principles, than to live up to them." Adlai Stevenson
  • Options
    But I DO collect foreign coins... a few Canadian dollars, nickels and provincial tokens. Provides a nice distraction when I occasionally get tired of US coins, they're attractive and reasonably priced.
  • Options
    DennisHDennisH Posts: 13,963 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I do collect some foreigns:

1910-14 Mexico "Caballito" pesos
    17th century thalers
    16th century Scotland "sword dollar" ryals
    When in doubt, don't.
  • Options
    MrEurekaMrEureka Posts: 23,947 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ask me why I don't collect US coins!

On second thought, better not.
    Andy Lustig

Doggedly collecting coins of the Central American Republic.

Visit the Society of US Pattern Collectors at USPatterns.com.
  • Options
    robertprrobertpr Posts: 6,862 ✭✭✭
    I sometimes pick up coins minted in the Republik of Kalifornia (san francisco).
  • Options

<< <i>The Redbook is easier to carry than the phonebook (Krause) >>

Excellent answer! image

<< <i>I sometimes pick up coins minted in the Republik of Kalifornia (san francisco). >>

Okay, that was funny. image
  • Options
    ArtistArtist Posts: 2,012 ✭✭✭
    Whtever it is in me that compells me to collect coins, and it is some innate sort of drive, for some reason does not apply to darkside.

A friend of mine had an Australian Sheppard, which are dogs that were bread to heard sheep. And this dog loved to heard things - goats, sheep, bunnies, other dogs - but the thing these animals all had in common was that they were all mammals. One time we had the dog near a gaggle of domestic geese which we thought for sure this dog would love to heard - but to instead it was as if the birds did not exist. No interest whatsoever - it was as if the species simply did not trigger the dog's hearding reflex. For me, it really does feel sort of like that.
  • Options
    mirabelamirabela Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I do, casually, collect Canadian silver dollars.

On the whole, though, I find the darkside market to be thinner here, and as a consequence price spreads tend to be wider. As a collector of American coins I can pretty reliably get out of coins at least as well off as I got into them. While I certainly don't make much money as a coin collector, I am able to allocate what are for me fairly serious amounts of money to my hobby with a reasonable degree of confidence that I am not just throwing it away. the more esoteric an item is, this is harder to do. Things like foreign coins, CWT's, HTT's, SCD's, medals, and so on are harder to get reliable pricing data on, and in general harder to sell advantageously.
    mirabela
  • Options
    19Lyds19Lyds Posts: 26,475 ✭✭✭✭
    I do collect foreign coins but only casually!

Whoops, forgot my reason....................................If I were to live in England, I guess I would be interested in the coinage of that country but since I was born in the US, then thats just my coinage of choice because it is so readily available. Every trip to a neighborhood merchant could yield a valuable treasure!
    I decided to change calling the bathroom the John and renamed it the Jim. I feel so much better saying I went to the Jim this morning.

The name is LEE!
  • Options
    Dog97Dog97 Posts: 7,875 ✭✭✭
    Well actually I do. I collect DarkSide Mint Sets, Proof Sets, & singles, choppedmarked, holey even some colorized coins. The main theme is they are dated 97 but some of them I collected just because they are pretty & unusual.
    The reason I don't post on the DarkSide Board is because it's a boring place without the scandal & controversy that's constantly rocking this place. image
    Change that we can believe in is that change which is 90% silver.
  • Options
    ColonialCoinUnionColonialCoinUnion Posts: 10,087 ✭✭✭
    Well, for the most part the motifs mean little or nothing to me, the legends are indecipherable and I have no history of seeing, studying or wanting them.

Unless foreign issues have some tangible connection to things that are 'close to home', they just don't do it for me.

On the other hand, I do like those Chinese Auto Dollars, but only becuase they are utterly unexpected.
  • Options
    topstuftopstuf Posts: 14,803 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yay for Kwei-Chow auto dollars. I'll collect foreign like that. If it's REALLY neat.

But otherwise, it's too risky from a financial return outlook. As mentioned, the market for foreign coins is very thin. VERY thin. For better exposure, there's international shipping to contend with. And the "corner shop" will simply weigh them rather than research them as most dealers are not exposed to much in the way of foreign other than "big and old or gold is good."

I do like some foreign coins though.

• Options
    Nice coins topstuff! I really like this one...can you tell me more about it?

Currently looking for space-themed coins as well as these wantlists:
    Buffalo Nickel Wantlist
    Circulated TypeSet Wantlist
  • Options
    I used to collect only US coins. However, I have been trading coins with a coinbuddy in a darkside country and he's been turning me on to several coins that are new to me. It has been fun.

The reason I used to only collect US coins was that I know nothing about darkside stuff. As well, most darkside stuff is not graded and I don't have the skills to grade those coins. Now that I am getting some in trade, I can appreciate the uniqueness of the coins and how much fun it is to just collect without worrying about the grade.

Jonathan
    I have been a collector for over mumbly-five years. I learn something new every day.
  • Options
    garsmithgarsmith Posts: 5,894 ✭✭
    <<As said, it is a challenge just to put US coin collections together.>>

• Options
    messydeskmessydesk Posts: 19,705 ✭✭✭✭✭
    My hands and budget are full enough with US stuff. If I were to add darkside to my collection in an organized fashion, it would probably be Spanish colonial milled coinage or pre-Meiji Japanese stuff, or Nürnberg city view thalers or 16th-17th century British stuff or, or, or... Just call mine the ADD collection.
  • Options
    MadMartyMadMarty Posts: 16,697 ✭✭✭
    It is not exactly cheating, I prefer to consider it creative problem solving!!!

• Options
    500Bay500Bay Posts: 1,106 ✭✭✭
    I think most of us collect things that are of our own heritage. Naturally, US Coins makes sense as the US is "our heritage." I also collect ancient coins - primarily Roman and Greek coins. They are our Western Heritage - so I think it makes sense (at least to me image)
    Finem Respice
  • Options
    MyqqyMyqqy Posts: 9,777
    I started an international birth year set, and it's been a tremendous amount of fun......
    My style is impetuous, my defense is impregnable !
  • Options
    291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,945 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sky-high margins.
    All glory is fleeting.
  • Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,446 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Familiarity is one thing. But history plays a big part. Americans don't care about what happened in Belgium in 1864, or Japan in 1912, etc. However, we care about the Civil War, the Pittman Act, Depression, WWI, WWII, etc. all of which U.S. coins in some minute way keeps alive the memory of. For the same reason, foreigners don't collect U.S. coins, and don't really seem to collect coins period to the extent Americans seem to. >>

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options

<< <i>But history plays a big part. Americans don't care about what happened in Belgium in 1864, or Japan in 1912, etc. However, we care about the Civil War, the Pittman Act, Depression, WWI, WWII, etc. all of which U.S. coins in some minute way keeps alive the memory of. >>

This is true for me. Foreign coins fascinate me, but I feel no connection to them.

• Options
    CoxeCoxe Posts: 11,139
    I have been known to dabble on the dark side. But like others have pointed out in their cases, I don't need that distraction right now. So I UGTMA gifted many to my kids and sold a lot of them. Still have a bunch to my name, but they are on the back burner for sure.

BTW, in selling them I found that even extremely rare ones have such a thin market that they don't command nearly the prices equivalent US ones do.
    Select Rarities -- DMPLs and VAMs
    NSDR - Life Member
    SSDC - Life Member
    ANA - Pay As I Go Member
  • Options
    I don't collect them usually-- but the few I got from the Elaisburg Gold Sale have been a real pleasure to own

I mean how often can you find an original skinned MS65 thru MS67 gold dated 1789 or 1811 for under $800??

I'm even slowly finishing a 20th century set Clapp started thru buying at Ebay--(they cost about $50/$100 each.image
    morgannut2
  • Options
    ziggy29ziggy29 Posts: 18,668 ✭✭✭
    Don't know. For some reason, although I've tried, they just don't interest me much.
  • Options
    JRoccoJRocco Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I do
    Some coins are just plain "Interesting"
  • Options
    GeminiGemini Posts: 3,085
    I have been collecting foreign crown sized coins of no particular country for a while. Many are inexpensive and quite beautiful.
    A thing of beauty is a joy for ever
  • Options
    DoogyDoogy Posts: 4,508
    A vast majority of my collection is world coins, world gold issues to be exact. I love the huge selection there is, spanning a couple thousand years of gold coin production; that and the artisitic value of some of these coins are breathtaking.

• Options
    topstuftopstuf Posts: 14,803 ✭✭✭✭✭
    obversity.... It's a 1791 "Zodiac" Piastre of Naples. I liked it because it debunks all that stuff about the earth NOT being the center of the universe.
    And of course proving that NAPLES is indeed the center of the earth.

Just hadda have it once I saw it.
    Now in an NGC VF25 casket.
  • Options

<< <i>obversity.... It's a 1791 "Zodiac" Piastre of Naples. I liked it because it debunks all that stuff about the earth NOT being the center of the universe.
    And of course proving that NAPLES is indeed the center of the earth.

Just hadda have it once I saw it.
    Now in an NGC VF25 casket. >>

Thanks for the info, topstuf. Very neat piece. One of these days I need to get to the center of the Earth. I hear good things image
    Currently looking for space-themed coins as well as these wantlists:
    Buffalo Nickel Wantlist
    Circulated TypeSet Wantlist
  • Options
    cladkingcladking Posts: 28,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I got into world coins because I'm a generalist at heart and these are coins as surely
    as any coin that was ever made here. It was getting too easy to have a general un-
    derstanding of US coins so I needed a wider horizon. The darkside provided that for
    several years before I picked up farside as well.

There is a vast world of modern coins. All over people stopped collecting coins after
    WW II and in many countries there were no mint sets or the coins were all destroyed
    after circulating for decades (as will soon happen to our cents and nickels). It's almost
    as if the term modern is a concept which applies to coins from nearly everywhere.

The older foreign coins are fascinating as well since they can have stunning designs
    and have great attributes. They've been made for every imaginable purpose or usage
    and date back more than 25 centuries. No one can possibly learn about all of them pro-
    bably.

Rarity can be acquired for a pittance and while 291fifth is correct that margins are large,
    you can get them cheaper if you know wholesale prices. Even if you have to pay the
    whole mark-up they remain quite cheap.

Many of the modern world coins are on a tear that puts the pop-tops to shame.
    Tempus fugit.
  • Options
    Everytime I see a foreign coin, it just feels like monopoly money to me.

They are sometimes beautiful but they just don't feel like real money to me.

I just don't feel it like I do with US coins.

Maybe one day I'll change and go to the dark side.
  • Options
    My wife likes Philippine coins. That got me into the US minted Philippine coins, especially the early 1900s proofs.

I bought some world gold coins from MrEureka and enjoyed them. But for me I am more interested in ancient coins (they are world coins, no?) than more recent foreign coins...
  • Options
    ARCOARCO Posts: 4,317 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I love world gold. Just too much material to persue with enough time to study and understand the markets. Secondly, the historical connection is just so much stronger with U.S. coinage. Like others have stated, U.S. coinage just seems real and substantial.

Tyler
  • Options
    ajiaajia Posts: 5,400 ✭✭✭
    Availability.
    Plus, when first starting out, few of us think about foreign coins. By the time you start to appriciate them your so involved with US coins there's no $$ left....at least not for me! image
  • Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,795 ✭✭✭✭✭
    World coins is the wave of the furture... there is a connection, artistic merit and history... basically something for evryone who is willing to explore, learn and go in a different direction...

Collecting World coins is great

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• Options
    MacCrimmonMacCrimmon Posts: 7,054 ✭✭✭
    DARKSIDE RULES !!!!!!

Victoria - Wyon's Queen - Can you say high relief ???

imageimage
  • Options
    MFHMFH Posts: 11,720 ✭✭✭✭

Being of Irish and Belgian decent I have a type set of gold from these countries. Nothing outrageous but just a few things to remind me of my heritage.

Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Coin collecting is not a hobby, it's an obsession !

New Barber Purchases
  • Options
    In the event the market craps out I can still spend my american coins!! image
  • Options
    History of USA
  • Options
  • Options

<< <i>Plus, when first starting out, few of us think about foreign coins. By the time you start to appriciate them your so involved with US coins there's no $$ left. >>

Yet another excellent observation.

• Options
    BAJJERFANBAJJERFAN Posts: 30,994 ✭✭✭✭✭
    What do you suppose the wifey would say about going to a coin show in Vladivostok.

Frankly I have all that I can handle with one domestic series.
  • Options
    MacCrimmon: Awesome photos of some great coins! I would like to buy one of those...
  • Options
    bidaskbidask Posts: 13,865 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Love the darkside. Prices are ridiculously cheap. I had a discussion with M Louis Teller at the ANA. He said he sold 85% of his World Coin News ad before the ANA . Also Spoke with Karl Stephens. Very knowledgeable and fair dealer and grades for PCGS. I bought a German 1930 3 mark in Proof 67 ( green slab). I didn't check the Krause catalog. I bought another piece from Germany 1732 raw ( it came back PCGS 66). I paid $1000 for the pair. I did not care about those prices as I thought it very fair for the condition and age of the coins. I bought an 8 reale from Mexico ( MO mint) raw dated 1858 for $300, it came back PCGS AU 50. I am a buyer all day long for coins like that at those prices.

The Chicage Int'l World Coin show in March had 85 dealers and the New York show probably does not have that much more. So the market is thin, but I agree with CoinKat that darkside is very underpriced and has a future waiting to be discovered! There are many original coins out there that have not been fooled with. As an idea for collectors, there were many Spanish, English and French coins that circulated in the colonies before our country was established. Take your pick! image
    I manage money. I earn money. I save money .
    I give away money. I collect money.
    I don’t love money . I do love the Lord God.

• Options
    rooksmithrooksmith Posts: 972 ✭✭✭✭
    I do collect them - so the obvious question is -- how can you resist these?

Actually I really like Englinsh, Australian , Canadian , And New Zealand pre-decimal coins...and the cook islands too!

“When you don't know what you're talking about, it's hard to know when you're finished.” - Tommy Smothers

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file