Home Sports Talk
Options

How Many Current Hall of Famers Used Steroids?

I wouldn't rule out pre-1980 players.

"How many HOFers used steroids? Steroids were invented in the 30s and were not made illegal until 1991, so it is quite possible and probable that many players used them that we do not know about.

Comment icon posted by graymatters at 4:45 PM CDT on August 11
How many HOFers used steroids?

Can't you just picture Lou Gehrig injecting Babe Ruth in his fat arse?

Comment icon posted by evil empire at 5:18 PM CDT on August 11"

http://www.sportsfilter.com/comments.cfm/4919

Comments

• Options
    I think the Hall of Fame is clean so far. I think the taking of steroids, in the manner that they are used today, is a recent development. I believe if they had been used in the past that many of the current records would be unreachable. Imagine if Reggie Jackson, Killebrew, Mantle, McCovey or Frank Robinson had taken steroids... Imagine if they had played against the current watered down talent... but that's another discussion altogether.

I think the Hall of Fame will be clean until the likes of the Sosas, McGwires and Bonds' get into the Hall.
    Holes-in-One
    1. 7-17-81 Warrenton GC Driver 310 yards 7th Hole (Par 4)
    2. 5-22-99 Warrenton GC 6 iron 189 yards 10th Hole
    3. 7-23-99 Oak Meadow CC 5 iron 180 yards 17th Hole
    4. 9-19-99 Country Lake GC 6 iron 164 yards 15th Hole
    5. 8-30-09 Country Lake GC Driver 258 yards 17th Hole (Par 4)

Collector of Barber Halves, Commems, MS64FBL Frankies, Full Step Jeffersons & Mint state Washington Quarters
  • Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,539 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I 100 % believe there are "dirty" players in the HOF, without question.
  • Options
    HyperionHyperion Posts: 7,438 ✭✭✭

cocaine, amphetamines, that was the staple of alot of squads in the 70s and 80s.

which is worse ? taking steroids to remain strong throughout a season, or using narcotic stimulants to improve reaction time ?
  • Options
    There's dirty players in the hall for sure.

And I would not be shocked if Cemems is dirty too...fast healing time and all.
  • Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,539 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I believe overall Steroids would keep you in the game longer as aposed to other drugs.
  • Options
    Quite a few players in the late 19th century and early 20th century used testosterone from other animals' testicles, namely sheep and goats, including Babe Ruth, as elixers to make them feel better. Does that count?

-Ian
  • Options
    DirtyHarryDirtyHarry Posts: 1,914 ✭✭
    Riccaboner - I do not think eating organs meats qualifies. People buy and eat brains, livers, hearts and kidneys everyday from the supermarket. If you have ever consumed a beef stick, sorry to say that you have also probably consumed some testicles.

I don't think that steroids as we know them today (manufactered) were consumed by any curent HOF'ers. Greenies - another story.
    "A man's got to know his limitations...." Dirty Harry

Unfocused, impulsive collector of everything ...