Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Back variations of Chicle football

Does anyone know the details of the back variations in the 1935 National Chicle football set?

I've seen 3 different back variations, regarding placement of Eddie Casey's signature and credentials as "Coach Boston Redskins, Former Coach Harvard."

1. His signature is centered, with credentials to the right.
2. His signature is near the right side, with credentials below.
3. His signature is near the right side, with no credentials printed.

I've seen variation #1 on all of the cards in the set except for card #21, Cliff Montgomery. I have never seen a high number with a variation other than #1. I've seen variation #2 on many of the cards in the first series. I have seen variation #3 on only 2 cards -- #13 Homer Griffiths, and #21 Cliff Montgomery. In fact, I have seen only this variation on the Cliff Montgomery card. I have seen multiple variations on the Homer Griffiths though.

So, does anyone know the relative scarcity of each of these back variations? Also, does anyone know which back variations are available on each card?

Doug

Comments

• Options
    kingraider75kingraider75 Posts: 1,500 ✭✭
    I have noticed the same thing, but I don't think it makes any difference in price. I have yet to see one collector mention it. I have some cards that do have any copyright at all on the back. It's probably part of the mystery of a set that was suppose to 240 cards and was 36 instead.
    Running an Ebay store sure takes a lot more time than a person would think!
  • Options
    Good point. So, why is the set only 36 instead of 240? That's a huge difference....I've recently thought that it was quite fortunate for those of us putting together the set now -- a 240 card monster would be much further out of reach.

I'd like to put some sort of checklist together with the different back variations. If you have the time, kingraider, could you send me a list of the variations that you have? Posted here, or PM would be fine. I've never paid attention to the copyright line. Hmmmm.

Now that you mention it, I do have several cards with no copyright information. In each case, Eddie Casey's signature on the card is of the variety #2 above. I guess this is a 4th variation. Of this type, I have a #15 Ben Ciccone, #16 Ben Smith, #23 Beattie Feathers, #24 Clarke Hinkle.

Doug
  • Options
    So, does anyone else have any information on the Chicle football back variations?

Doug
  • Options
    gregmo32gregmo32 Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭
    That is interesting that there are so many variations. You may have more look finding info if you posted on the Vintage or even the Set Registry board. A lot of the vintage folks don't read too much over here. Good luck and let us know what you find out!
    I am buying and trading for RC's of Wilt Chamberlain, George Mikan, Bill Russell, Oscar Robertson, Jerry West, and Bob Cousy!
    Don't waste your time and fees listing on ebay before getting in touch me by PM or at gregmo32@aol.com !