Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

1812 bustie - doubled profile

I put up the close up below in another thread while testing photobucket. I thought I'd try posting shots (from the original purchase) of the coin as well in a new posting. The coin is an 1812 O.107, a die variety known for various states of die clashing on the reverse. I think this variety is one of the coolest in the whole series. I mean just look at the lettering in the shield, and all of the fun in the fields - amazing! I had already purchased a few of this variety when this one came along with the doubled profile on the obverse. I had to have it, so I paid a premium for the coin but feel it was absolutely worth it. I daresay this is a very unique coin - a whacked out reverse (not that unusual for this variety) with the incredibly wide double profile.

zap1111
102 capped bust half dollars - 100 die marriages
BHNC #198

Comments

• Options
    coinlieutenantcoinlieutenant Posts: 9,305 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wow...that is a dramatic one!!
  • Options
    CladiatorCladiator Posts: 17,920 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That coin has the most pronounce die clashing on the reverse that I have ever seen, on any bust half, ever.
  • Options
    STONESTONE Posts: 15,275
    Oh man, that is AWESOME!!!

That is some real dramatic stuff going on on that face.

Sweet coin and nice pickup
  • Options
    SkyManSkyMan Posts: 9,493 ✭✭✭✭✭
    VERY nice!!! image ... and somehow a doubled appearance seems appropriate on a saturday night. image
  • Options
    JRoccoJRocco Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I want that coin...

Really....

If you ever let her go----give me a crack at her.
    Some coins are just plain "Interesting"
  • Options
    WOW!

I love the reverse die clashes!! image

-Amanda

I'm a YN working on a type set!

My Buffalo Nickel Website Home of the Quirky Buffaloes Collection!

Proud member of the CUFYNA
  • Options
    capecape Posts: 1,621
    nice profile ,i have one similar on a 1826.
    ed rodrigues
  • Options
    stmanstman Posts: 11,352 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Can't remember the date, but is this the one that was on ebay about two years ago? Sold by James Garcia?
    Please... Save The Stories, Just Answer My Questions, And Tell Me How Much!!!!!
  • Options
    BaleyBaley Posts: 22,658 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wow, that is spectacular! image

Fantastic coin image

Liberty: Parent of Science & Industry

• Options
    StrikeOutXXXStrikeOutXXX Posts: 3,350 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>VERY nice!!! image ... and somehow a doubled appearance seems appropriate on a saturday night. image >>

What's doubled? I see 4 of em image

WOW - That is completely nuts.
    Is she raw or slabbed? The doubling is so big, it could carry 2 grades, one for each profile image
    ------------------------------------------------------------

"You Suck Award" - February, 2015

Discoverer of 1919 Mercury Dime DDO - FS-101
  • Options
    NumisOxideNumisOxide Posts: 10,989 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Neat double profile and heavy die clashes.

image coin!
  • Options
    SDSportsFanSDSportsFan Posts: 5,094 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ahhhh...Twins!!!!!imageimage

Very nice pickupimage

Steve
  • Options
    mozinmozin Posts: 8,755 ✭✭✭
    You did well to buy this coin.image

I wonder how the word LIBERTY was clashed so near the center, rather than spaced properly about midway between the center and rim. How did it get clashed twice, and so far apart? The rotation makes it even more interesting. What is that blob above the left wing?

Russ Logan would have had all the answers for us.
    I collect Capped Bust series by variety in PCGS AU/MS grades.
  • Options
    CladiatorCladiator Posts: 17,920 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Somebody call up Slumlord. image
  • Options
    If this is the coin I'm thinking it is, and even if it's not, here is some good information that some here might like to read.Old Thread

If it is the same one, then I lost the coin at auction as I wasn't comfortable at the time how high to go. I would be now though.image
    And it would most likely be double or more for what it went for. Congratulations!!!
  • Options
    zap1111zap1111 Posts: 1,298 ✭✭
    Thanks for all of the comments. Yes, this was purchased from James Garcia back in the summer of 2004. The coin is from the Brad Higgins collection. I bid more money than I should've at the time (none of you have ever done that, right?) but was very excited to find out I won the coin. It won't be for sale again for a long time, JRocco and stman, but I'll keep you guys in mind. Stman, that thread is the right one. It warms my heart and bolsters my confidence to know that I might have made the right move at the right time. You're right - it did go rather high!

It was an earlier 1812 O.107 that truly pulled me into the bust half series. I had picked up the 1830-34 coins on whims, enjoying the look and the toning on them, then I found a 1812 in a coin shop in Duluth that had all that weird action on the reverse. At the time, I didn't know what a clash mark was. I sent a jpeg off to Heritage and a nice response clarified what was going on with the variety and from there on in I was hooked. I've picked up about 55 die varieties now and am hooked for life. I later picked up a single clash version in AU55 (1812 O. 107) with indigo and golden retoning. Then this double profile came along!

So now I have three specimens of this particular variety - a single clash, double clash or triple clash on the reverse. It's a very interesting study in the progression of the use of the die.
    zap1111
    BHNC #198
  • Options
    Ah, thanks for confirming that. I usually have a good memory on great Busts!!!!
  • Options
    crispycrispy Posts: 792 ✭✭✭

Very interesting coin. I have never seen anything close to that with respect to the clash and doubling. Very nice.

"to you, a hero is some kind of weird sandwich..."
  • Options
    zap1111,

I've heard of this Brad Higgins you speak of, and I can assure you that he is a most unsavory character. Stay away! I am familiar in passing with some of his coins, and I remember that one.

He acquired it at the BHNC corn roast in 2001 from a fellow member for $250. Yes, back in the olden days, coins were more affordable. Have you noticed the doubling on stars 1-3? As for the clashing on the reverse, Brad Karoleff did an extensive study of this phenomenon over the course of a couple years and published it in JRJ sometime in the 90s. It has been speculated that the mint had trouble with the feeder mechanism, which jammed repeatedly in the early teens, and this is why you see so many clashed 12s-14s. Brad further determined that many times, the clash marks were lapped off, only to repeatedly reappear, frustrating the mint's best efforts. The lump above the left wing was caused by something being jammed between the dies with no planchet being present. How could it only leave an impression on one die? It couldn't! There is also an impression on the obverse at the front base of the neck. Since this is a high spot of the coin, it is worn off on many circulated coins. I posed this to some more senior members, but was rejected because the lumps don't line up exactly. Brad K and I made some tracing on clear acetate imprinted with the reverse die and followed the clashes around until the lumps lined up on both obverse and reverse, and lined up with a set of clash marks, which proved that at one point in time when some unknown object fell on the reverse (anvil) die, the obverse (hammer) die came down and left that impact mark on both dies. Later, this same obverse was paired with another reverse to coin O.108, and the obverse mark is also visible on high grade 108s.

You own a pretty interesting coin! You may never find one with such a wild double profile, but don't stop looking.
  • Options
    These two Brads certainly know their Busties. Somebody told me these two Brads are both tall, dark, and handsome. Or, maybe I am confused.image
  • Options
    Better check your glasses, old timer! Or else it may be early dementia!image
  • Options
    zap1111zap1111 Posts: 1,298 ✭✭
    Slumlord,

Thanks for filling in a bit of history for me on this coin! I appreciate that. I've read the Karoleff article on the 1812 O.107 progression of die states/clash marks and it's fascinating. I must say I have a sweet spot for this variety and study each one that shows up in the various internet auctions.

I had noticed the obverse mark you mention that corresponds to the reverse mark above the left wing on two of my three coins, so it was fun to hear of your work to authenticate its generation. Another interesting mark is just below the ear (you can see it clearly on the closeup I posted); this one almost looks doubled in hand on this particular coin, and it shows up on the triple clash version I have as well, but not on the single clash. I'll try to post some closeups of those other two coins sometime for comparison.

As far as Brad Higgins is concerned, all I can say is that he corresponded with me after the purchase, sharing information and excitement for the coin (including the doubling on stars 1-3), and that as a novice collector at the time, I was impressed that he'd take the time to do so. And although he sure seems to generate some good natured commentary about his character, I'll hold off on any other assessment until I can meet the man!
    zap1111
    BHNC #198
  • Options
    RickMilauskasRickMilauskas Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭
    Wow...never seen one quite like that.

Nice!
  • Options
    If you have access to the John Reich Journal, the 1812 O-107 study is in Volume 4/Issue 3 December 1989 pages 16-20. I did not remember reading this article back around 1993 when I bought all the earlier Journal issues.

If I am seeing things correctly, this coin is reverse stage 7, not yet stage 8 which is the stage thought to have been made just before the die was retired. The letters LIB are clashed over the BER clashed letters in stage 8. The article makes no mention of the obverse double profile, but then why should it, since this doubling was not part of the die clashing.

My 1812 O-107 is in the bank, so all I know is that it has a 45 degree rotation, and no obverse doubling.
  • Options
    The coin is a study in and of itself--a real winner!
  • Options
    JRoccoJRocco Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭✭
    zap1111, you appear to be a collector after my own heart. Well if you do ever want to sell her to another collector sometime down the line--give me a yell.
    And congrats again on a real nice coin/piece of history.
    Some coins are just plain "Interesting"
  • Options
    Yo, JRocco, leave the guy alone will ya. Since I was an under-bidder in the auction I would never ask him to sell it to me (for an obsene profit) if/when the time comes.image
  • Options
    MyqqyMyqqy Posts: 9,777
    Fantastic coin- thanks for sharing that one! image
    My style is impetuous, my defense is impregnable !

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file