Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Two page ad showing Harvey Stack and QDB in CW-- can someone enlighten me about Harvey Stack?

I saw that two page ad in CW put out by ANR and Stacks. I will save my comments about the ommission of John K. and Frank VVV for another thread. In the ad, there is a huge picture of QDB and Harvey Stack. I obviously know what QDB has done (and continues to do) for the hobby. Can anyone enlighten me on Harvey Stack's background? I know that he has written at least one book, but other than that, I really don't know much about his background. When he is pictured in a photo with QDB as a numismatic icon, I would really like to know more about his qualification for that status. I am not throwing stones, but I just am curious if Harvey Stack rises to the level of QDB. Does anyone know?
Always took candy from strangers
Didn't wanna get me no trade
Never want to be like papa
Working for the boss every night and day
--"Happy", by the Rolling Stones (1972)

Comments

• Options
    PistareenPistareen Posts: 1,505 ✭✭✭
    The 50 state quarters were Harvey's idea, given to Congress in testimony on the Hill. That should be enough to ensure him a place in history.

Harvey was behind the counter at Stack's starting in the pre-War years and has been there ever since. He can tell you a story about pretty much every great numismatist since the 30s (he even remembers Col. Green). Harvey's always been a prince of a guy to me, happy to share stories and a slap on the back.

I don't know him as well as others here I suspect, since I've only known him a few years. Perhaps others will chime in.
  • Options

<< <i>I saw that two page ad in CW put out by ANR and Stacks. I will save my comments about the ommission of John K. and Frank VVV for another thread. In the ad, there is a huge picture of QDB and Harvey Stack. I obviously know what QDB has done (and continues to do) for the hobby. Can anyone enlighten me on Harvey Stack's background? I know that he has written at least one book, but other than that, I really don't know much about his background. When he is pictured in a photo with QDB as a numismatic icon, I would really like to know more about his qualification for that status. I am not throwing stones, but I just am curious if Harvey Stack rises to the level of QDB. Does anyone know? >>

Harvey Stack is not as well known to the average collector but I would guess his expertise is probably close to the level of QDB.
  • Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,443 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>The 50 state quarters were Harvey's idea, given to Congress in testimony on the Hill. >>

I think you're giving him too much credit. The Canadians did this same thing earlier.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    BarryBarry Posts: 10,100 ✭✭✭
    Which expert at Stacks called the 5th 1913 nickel a fake?
  • Options
    RYKRYK Posts: 35,789 ✭✭✭✭✭
    In my biased opinion, these Stack's people do not hold a numismatic candle to the ANR team.
  • Options
    ShamikaShamika Posts: 18,760 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i> The 50 state quarters were Harvey's idea, given to Congress in testimony on the Hill. That should be enough to ensure him a place in history. >>

Interesting. I figured there must have been some numismatist pushing this idea pre-1999, but I had no idea who he/she was.

Buyer and seller of vintage coin boards!
  • Options
    JulianJulian Posts: 3,370 ✭✭✭
    Harvey and his cousins, Ben and Norman, built Stack's into the main numismatic firm that they were into the nineties. They were the largest and oldest numismatic firm in the nation and handled most of the major collections at auction thru the early seventies.

Harvey is the last of his generation. His father and uncle started the firm in the 30's.

I believe that he was the primary person at the firm that counseled Lilly in building his collection of coins. He has also been an aggressive supporter and counselor to the Smitsonian Institution. He has been an outspoken supporter of numismatics as a hobby and was clearly the unequivolcal lead of the firm after Norman passed away. He and Norman had jointly led the firm up until that point. He served on the PNG board and as its President. He has every qualification to be in the same picture as QDB.

I believe that it was Ben that may have said that Walton's nickel was not genuine. I do not believe that the coin ever got to NYC for evaluation. It was done in NC.
    PNG member, numismatic dealer since 1965. Operates a retail store, also has exhibited at over 1000 shows.
    I firmly believe in numismatics as the world's greatest hobby, but recognize that this is a luxury and without collectors, we can all spend/melt our collections/inventories.

eBaystore
  • Options
    Google "Harvey Stack" you will be enlightened !
  • Options
    dorkkarldorkkarl Posts: 12,692 ✭✭✭
    personally, i think harvey stack, & bowers are on a m/l equally elite level.

K S

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file