Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Question About Daniel Carr's concept Sacagawea Dollar Coin, Do You Have One?

Question About Daniel Carr's concept Sacagawea Dollar Coin, Do You Have One?

Hi

I would like to know if anyone has purchased one of Daniel Carr's concept Sacagawea Dollar Coins in either the Proof Brass or Satin Brass finish and holdered by ICG. If you have I would like to know what you think about the quality of the strike and coin

Thanks

Planchet

Comments

• Options
    dcarrdcarr Posts: 7,999 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well, I happen to know something about these image

I don't consider them to be full proofs. Rather, they are cameo "proof-like". ICG graded them PR69DCAM (MS69 for satin-finish pieces).

For a smallish 27mm coin, the detail is pretty good. I sculpted the design in 1999. I've learned a lot since then.
    Below is a better picture that I took of one recently. This particular example is a later die state. So there are some effects from that which alter the overall appearance of the coin slightly, but don't really affect the grade. When the coins were first struck, I culled out any that were defective (struck-through particles, planchet flaws, etc.). The "defective" strikes were given a circulated finish (intentionally worn to see what they would look like after years of circulation).

• Options
    p8ntp8nt Posts: 2,947 ✭✭✭
    I don't own one, but I have seen them in person and I think they're cool!
  • Options
    first time i`ve seen one... very cool, i like it
    my ebay items BST transactions/swaps/giveaways with: Tiny, raycyca,mrpaseo, Dollar2007,Whatafind, Boom, packers88, DBSTrader2, 19Lyds, Mar327, pontiacinf, ElmerFusterpuck.
  • Options
    dcarrdcarr Posts: 7,999 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>first time i`ve seen one... very cool, i like it >>

Thanks, the one shown earlier in this thread has the original "ornate" reverse.
    I modified the reverse design (at the Mint's request) and it then became one of seven offical US Mint finalists in the limited invitation-only design competition for the coin.
    I struck some with that reverse as well. And for each reverse type, there are some with and some without the word "PEACE".

• Options
    wonderful job. you are very talented. and fwiw, i like your design better than the
    one they took.
    you were ahead of your time with that straight on portrait. look at the franklin commemorative.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file